on 30 September 2005
Not only is the story of Brother Andrew impossible to put down and very well written, but it is a real inspiration and challenge to those seeking to live for God, or those who doubt the existence of God. Andrew grew up in Holland during world war 2 and afterward joined the army. This sparked a series of events which led him to question the value of life and become a committed Christian. Starting with small trips here and there Andrew ended up risking his life time and again to share the Gospel and take Bibles beyond the Iron Curtain, setting up an international organisation which at one point smuggled 1 million Bibles into China! Time and again God led Andrew and his colleagues through impossible situations, allowing forgotten Christians to feel the love of the body of Christ and to savour God's word.
on 27 May 2001
I had this book read to my class when I was young. It was facinating, thoroughly enjoyable and addictive to read. I am not a religious person but having just discovered it again I have to sing its praises so to speak.
At this price don't hesitate to buy it.
on 12 June 2000
This is a very easy book to read and will keep you coming back to it at every opportunity.
As a Christian it has made me feel very humble and challenged.
Brother Andrew and Brother David (Gods Smuggler to China) both heard Gods call on their lives and simply obeyed.
Try it
on 5 February 2007
God's Smuggler is the story of Brother Andrew, founder of Open Doors. In it, he tells us of his experiences in life, with the main focus on him, along with a few dedicated God-fearing, Christian friends, risking imprisonment and perhaps even their lives, smuggling Bibles beyond the Iron Curtain, so as to support his persecuted brothers and sisters who couldn't publicly worship their Lord and Saviour, and to reach out to the non-Christians in those countries. His experiences really show that there is no limit to what God can do, and no task is too small for Him. The book is easy to understand and easy-read, and it should force us all to look at our lives, and ask ourselves just what we are doing for Him.
My daughter (who's 11) and I are thoroughly enjoying this book as our one-on-one bedtime reading. We are so inspired by the story of Brother Andrew's early life, how he came to love and trust Christ, and how he moved amongst all the persecuted believers behind the Iron Curtain in the 50s.

We've had follow-up discussions about Communism, about evangelism, about refugees and hardships and propaganda, and all kinds of spin-off topics. But above all, we have seen through Brother Andrew that God is good, is reliable, is a provider, and speaks to people in the modern era in all kinds of different ways.

Trusting Him not only works for Brother Andrew, but worked for hundreds of thousands who were touched by his ministry.

(I understand the subsequent books of Brother Andrew's are more graphic and perhaps a bit too hard-bitten for reading with children; I have no reservations of reading this one to my children)
on 16 February 2006
a great read for young or old. wonderful true story with adventure, excitement and even humour with the greatest of messages, that he brings forth.
I put off reading this book for a long time because I thought it would be labourious but not a bit of it and have read it a couple of times and my sons, used to ask me to read it again to them because of the things he got up to as a youngster! ita a pity that the cover on the book, doesn't convey how good it is.
on 28 December 2010
This is a story I read many years ago which has not lost its appeal down the years. A true story about how God can guide every one of us even in impossible situations if we are quiet enough to hear Him. Delighted to regain a copy which actually turns out to be a signed one.
on 3 May 2013
Restores your faith in God and man. Shows someone who puts everybody before himself, and makes you feel humble.

Well worth a read.
on 28 November 2009
This book was chosen as book of the month for a Christian Book Club. Brother Andrew is well known in Christian circles, for chosen vocation of taking Bibles behind the Iron Curtain to Christians to people who do not have the opportunity to buy one of their own or who cannot afford to buy one. As such it is a fairly standard first person biography, beginning with the early life of Brother Andrew and what brought him to this point plus a very brief overview of the early years of the mission.

The early part of the book is the most interesting - particularly the effect of military service and disability on his character, and how this shaped the future choices he made in his life. Unfortunately, probably because of the fact that many of the people described in the book are still alive, the journeys and the people he met with are very scantily described. I am sure that Brother Andrew and his colleagues must have had many exciting and amusing events occur at the border crossings and were at times in far greater danger than was described. The stories of the visits to various cities / churches in Communist countries are so short that there is little sense of the risks that both Brother Andrew and the Christians he visited must have been in, or the sense of joy that it must have given to the many people who received the gifts of bibles.

This is a very easy to read introduction to the work of Brother Andrew, but I think a more insightful book is waiting to be written, probably a couple of decades in the future, where is it possible to write more truthfully about the journeys and people that they encountered on the way.
on 7 October 2015
‘God’s Smuggler’ is a very readable account of the life of the Dutchman known as 'Brother Andrew'. We meet him at first as an excitement-seeking teenager, often frustrated with his life, yet close to his family. He spends some time in the army and loses what little faith he had; an injury takes him to hospital, and eventually he finds a new faith in God.

Most of the book then focuses on his gradual forays behind the ‘Iron Curtain’, into first the outer ring and then even the innermost strongholds of Communist Europe in the 1960s.

The writing is terse and clear, focussing on Andrew’s new discoveries about God, as well as what he learns about people living in closed countries. What the believers want most are Bibles in their own languages; it was illegal to smuggle Bibles into these countries, but God provided… transportation, and funds, and also a string of amazing circumstances.

I found it an extremely encouraging book, reminding me that God is infinite, with a world of resources, and the ability to ensure that his purposes are fulfilled. It could be read as a biography, or a personal insight into the Cold War era, or even an unusual adventure story. But it can also be read as reassuring evidence of God’s existence and provision.

Highly recommended.