on 31 October 2006
Typical Cooper - You board a plane and wake up in a hotel room surrounded by other people from the flight on a world that makes no sense. As a Human being, you have to make sense of it to know how you will survive. When you work out how to find the answers you need, you find a truth that shatters all your beliefs. An absolute roller-coaster of a novel and one of Cooper's best stories - there are no aliens, just Humans on other planets seeded by something beyond Humanity.

Enjoy!
on 31 July 2010
Those who have never read Cooper start here and prepare for a treat! A simple but engrossing story; everyday characters who draw you into their amazing circumstances; confusion and mind stretching leaps of imagination - all hallmarks of the author but delivered here with the confidence of a writer at the top of his game and in command of his work. The characters are perhaps not loveable - or likeable? - but somehow you care .... the setting not the most original but somehow unique .... the twist somehow both devastating and as it plays out inspiring. If you like real sci-fi writing you'll love it.
on 27 September 2012
A little known hard to find title which deserves so much better. The basic storyline is a kind of fish out of water scenario with a ragtag bunch of humans who boarded a Stockholm-Heathrow flight awaking in a strange place in very strange circumstances. The human drama is interspersed with lots of 'WOW' moments as the true nature of their situation is unveiled. The final revelation is fantastic and genuinely thought provoking while the response of the characters suggests the best in human nature. A great read which would make a decent film in the hands of the right director.
on 20 June 2011
About a month ago I got Lost withdrawal symptoms. I lamented that there was not another TV show that captured the imagination like that show did. I use to love sitting at work, wondering what was going on and coming up with various theories. I "googled books like Lost" and the most common answers were, "Lord of the Flies" and "Hyperion." Both books are excellent, but only Hyperion comes close to posing the level of mystery I was after.

Then on one forum someone suggested Seahorse in the sky. I immediately checked the book out and the blurb sounded exactly what I was after. 16 people wake up in are on a flight to London and then suddenly wake up in coffins in a deserted town. Food and drink is mysteriously replenished and they can all speak the same language despite coming from different parts of Europe. They also encounter humans from a different time period.

This book filled the whole left by Lost. The prose is tight but effective and the characters intriguing enough. My only problem is that the book is so short. 190 pages in fact. Normally, I find books are unnecessarily blotted. In this case I was lamenting that it wasn't. I wanted a series made of this story. I would quite happily have read a trilogy of books. No disrespect to Edmund Cooper, but I couldn't help rue the fact that Stephen King or Dam Simmons had not come up with this premise and run with it. I wanted the books told from multiple points of views and the mysteries to keep layering themselves on top of each other.

Instead, what I was left with was a very good story, intriguing and satisfying but more of an outline to what could have been fantastic. The conclusion to the mystery is excellent. In fact as much as I liked Lost and had no problem with its finale, I wish they had gone with the explanation that Cooper came up with.

I will be checking out more of Edmunds work though, so that can't be a bad thing.
on 5 September 2013
Read this one many years ago, don't know why but when "Under the Dome came out it reminded me of this book. It was great to read it again on my Kindle. Full of mystery, intrigue & drama. A great mix of characters. Should be a film.
on 24 July 2014
Nice story, pleasant characters. Read this many years ago, and enjoyed re-reading again.
on 14 July 2015
My favourite author of science fiction. Well written with a British slant on things.
on 17 April 2013
I first read this book over forty years ago and loved reading it again. I believe it's Edmond Cooper at his enigmatic best!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse