A huge saga (in three parts) of the life and times of a Victorian Squire, who purchases a run down estate in a valley on the Devon coast, just after the Boer War, relating the history of Britain through the two devastating World Wars up to the middle of the 1960's.

Published on 14 Feb. 2010 by Mark Shackelford

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
A bit slow but an average read if you like the period which is early 1900 's
Published 7 days ago by P. J. Rhodes

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious evocation of the decline and fall of Britain and its Empire, 14 Feb. 2010
Mark Shackelford "mark shackelford" (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Seen through the eyes of the Squire, his wife and large family and the various locals - farmers, poachers, vicars and assorted country folk - the saga is a potted history of the changes to Britain through the 20th century.

I found this book on the bookshelf of my late Grandmother, who was born in 1900 - and having now finished the book, I can see why she owned it - it is the history of her lifetime (she died in the 1980's) - and would have been very nostalgic for her.

Huge changes over that period - from an essentially feudal start, with forelock-tugging locals, and a hunting Parson, to the aftermath of the Second World War, when the "spivs" and developers took over the council planning departments and laid waste to huge tracts of England in their pursuit of profit.

At times heartbreaking - many sad deaths of various members of the family - and at times a bucolic reverie of "Olde England", with its timeless fields, summer cloudy skies, and the slow pace of country life and the roll of the seasons, this is a delightful book (I have now finished the trilogy), and takes me (in part) back to my own childhood in the 1950s countryside.

I suspect many of the views of the Squire, are those of the author, lamenting the change for the worse of successive venal Governments - and looking back from the 21st century, I fear things have only continued on their downward slide, with the current state of Politicians with their noses firmly in the trough.

5.0 out of 5 stars R.F.Delderfield is one of our most under-rated authors., 8 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Long Summer Day (Horseman Riding By Trilogy: Volume 1) (Paperback)
R.F.Delderfield knew how to weave a proper, family saga. I first heard of him and his 'A Horseman Riding By' in the 1960s, when it was broadcast on 'Saturday Night Theatre' on the BBC Light Programme. I bought my copy of the book then. (The first two volumes were originally in one.) I also bought the sequel, 'The Green Gauntlet'. I watched the television Series too, but prefer the books, which I have read over and over. I still have them, in good condition. (They made books properly and of superior paper then.) So I am now going to buy paperbacks, to preserve my hardbacks.

If you are at all interested in the march of the UK's story since 1900, then you must read these books.

Also worth reading are the 'Avenue Stories' by Delderfield. Well... anything by him really. If you like a 'good, long read', you won't be disappointed.

JW

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 27 Oct. 2010
Mrs. B. A. Hughes (UK) - See all my reviews
This trilogy was my introduction to Delderfield after being recommended to him on holiday and having read blood and gore murder stories. I found him to be a remarkable writer. I actually found the stories relaxing if that makes sense and looked forward to the next book. I will definitely read more of his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now on Kindle, 9 Feb. 2012
Fantastic news. A Horseman Riding By, now on Kindle. I thought these books were lost to future generations, but with the advent of ereaders they are now freely available hopefully for generations to come. I first read A Horseman Riding By in 1973, at the ripe old age of 26. I picked it up again some 30 years later and re-read it. It still contained the same magic. R F Delderfield in my opinion is one of our greatest writers of the 20th Century. Hopefully one day he will get the recognition that he so richly deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delderfield Fan, 23 Feb. 2012
What can I say. Am a Delderfield fan and have read, read and re-read his books. All I can say is more, more, more. Book arrived on time, well packaged. Am really happy as my old copy was falling to pieces. Kindle version of all the books is the next step so that I can have mint copies of the book to keep

Great story for social history and life through the generations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Jan. 2013
I am only half way through this book but it is hard to drag myself away and it has been a godsend over a busy Christmas as a refuge from the hurly-burly. I love books which deal with country life and nature and are also family sagas. There are so many more books in this series and I am hoping they are all available as Kindle e-books. My reading for a few months!

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST SAGAS EVER WRITTEN, 17 May 2012
Mrs. Judith Lugg "Judith Lugg" (Wolverhampton, England) - See all my reviews
Read all three of these books many years ago and have just re-read them - they are absolutely magnificent!

The story of a lonely, wounded young man riding into an isolated valley at the beginning of the twentieth century where he is instantly at home, and, in fact makes it his home for the next 60 odd years.

This story is in three long volumes, but every word is worth the reading, with Delderfield's wonderful gift for story-telling, characterization and description, and yes, there is sex in it but done in such a way as to use no prurience but you are left in no doubt as to what he is referring! There are epic descriptions of farming, battlefields of World Wars 1 and 2 and above all, the people who inhabit this beautiful, hidden valley.

The utter span and conception of these works is, in fact, beyond desciption by me - you will have to read them for yourself and find out what I mean.

EXTREMELY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AS ARE ALL OF DELDERFIELD'S OTHER STORES.

4.0 out of 5 stars Storytelling at its best...., 12 Aug. 2014
Amanda Jenkinson "MandyJ" (Cheltenham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Good old-fashioned storytelling at its best. A narrative arc that seamlessly works its way towards the conclusion, credible characters, an interesting setting, well-paced and always enjoyable. This is the first volume of A Horseman Riding By trilogy about the life and times of a young man, Paul Craddock, who comes back injured from the Boer War, and decides to buy a country estate in Devon. We follow his fortunes up to the 1960s, although this volume just covers the years up to the First World War. As much a social history as a family saga, there are political affairs, the suffragettes, agricultural matters, education and much more as the background to the adventures of Paul and his family. Not great literature, perhaps, but a great read to enjoy and learn from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure escapism., 11 Feb. 2013
Delderfield did not disappoint with this epic tale set in the first half of 20th century. Characters are believable and loveable. The story is beautifully written with humour, sensitivity and a good eye on history. Highly recommend the trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The West Country setting comes alive as you read about life on the Shallowford Estate in the Sorrel Valley, 18 Mar. 2015
A wonderful book based in Edwardian England. It is part of a series I remember reading many years ago. They are just as good as I remember and I have enjoyed meeting all the characters again. It describes beautifully a way of life in England that has now disappeared and is full of humour, pathos and sadness. The West Country setting comes alive as you read about life on the Shallowford Estate in the Sorrel Valley and I am very pleased to find them on Kindle

Long Summer Day (Horseman Riding By Trilogy: Volume 1)
Long Summer Day (Horseman Riding By Trilogy: Volume 1) by R. F. Delderfield (Paperback - 3 Aug. 1995)
Used & New from: £0.01