5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, intersting, practical and easy to read., 14 Feb 2014
As a sport and exercise psychologist the new concept of positive psychology provides me with an effective underlying process to assist people with both high level performance and peak experience in sport. I have read widely in this area and am constantly looking to for material to enhance my knowledge and practice.

Having read much of Kate Hefferon’s previous work I was very clear that when she writes something it is insightful cutting edge and most importantly practical. I therefore have made a point of reading this new book. The new book is everything that I expected and has extended my knowledge. The introductory chapter takes readers on a journey through positive psychology as it currently stands. The book then addresses a series of different topics based around the body (an under explored area in positive psychology).

In short a must read for the intelligent layperson, students, academics and practitioners.

James Beale

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'go to' book for anyone interested in positive psychology, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Positive Psychology and the Body: The somatopsychic side to flourishing (Paperback)
Kate Hefferon was the course leader for my MSc in Applied Positive Psychology, so I have to admit to being a fan before reading this book. Be that as it may, I did my MSc research in an area relating to positive psychology and sport and so wish this had been available when I began! Positive psychology has been described as a 'neck up discipline', because there is so little written about its impact on the body, which makes it really hard to know where to start looking if you're interested in this area. Or at least it was ...

Aside from the fact that it fills an obvious gap in the literature, the reason I like this book so much is that it gives an accessible, concise overview of all the key topics, and signposts where to go if you want to explore any of them in more depth. After wading through so many books laden with overly formal academic terminology for the past two years, this one comes as a breath of fresh air. No over-written blah blah - just the facts, written in an engaging way. If you're interested in any topic connected to positive psychology and the body, this is without doubt the best place to start reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars an engaging, interactive book brilliantly written - would give it more stars if I could!, 14 Feb 2014
I wholeheartedly recommend this book! The body is such a vital area of study in positive psychology, and in the past hasn’t had enough attention. This book explores this fascinating area in a very approachable and engaging way and the author has cleverly bought together diverse research areas and presented them in an accessible form.

Initially an overview of positive psychology and the body is included.
Subsequently, many areas are explored ranging from the body and trauma (investigating how we can psychologically grow from trauma through engaging with our physical body) positive neuroscience, positive health, physical activity and wellbeing to areas such as positive nutrition, sexuality and body psychotherapy. The author has carefully included a balanced critical investigation into the current research and theory giving the book a rounded discussion into the subject area.

I found this book reader friendly and liked how it includes activities, facts and questions to think about throughout the text, helping you to chunk your reading and reflect on what you read to keep you engaged. What makes this book come to life is how the author has focused on helping the reader to apply the theory and research to themselves while also giving examples of real life case studies which I found fascinating. There are interactive measures throughout helping you assess yourself in areas such as coping, growing psychologically from trauma, and body awareness. This gave me food for thought, highlighting areas I may want to focus on in the future to increase my own wellbeing. There are also interesting practical exercises such as mindfulness and body awareness, which I’ve found helpful for my own emotional wellbeing.

Overall, I found this a brilliant read and I am now more informed about ‘positive psychology and the body’ research and theory and on a personal level in how I relate to my body. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I will defiantly return to it regularly and recommend it to my friends! Do give it a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful advance in the knowledge of humanity, 2 Sep 2013
I am very impressed with the range of aspects of human physical functioning that Kate Heffernon has included. She has contributed very comprehensively to the already impressive work done in human psychology in the area of flourishing. The information is presented in an accessible manner and the structure of each chapter (with sample essay ideas, key questions etc.) promotes reflection on the content covered. Her references are very current and hence one feels that the content is 'cutting edge'. Well done Kate Heffernon.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential Body of Work, 13 Aug 2013
Kate Hefferon has produced an easily read text book that is well researched and encompassing in approach. This is a book that will inform on the inter-relationship between mind and body and should be essential reading for all trainee doctors, psychotherapists and coaches
Heffron comfortably and dispassionately explores areas such as the body during illness and trauma, Yoga, the role of the professional dominatrix, diet, and genetics and their role in wellbeing.
Comprehensive, well researched, yet a book as likely to delight the layperson as well as the professional. Heffron does not preach but informs and provides a reference book that should be become a standard work. Commended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent textbook, 12 Aug 2013
This is a really great book. By writing about the body Kate Hefferon has tackled a neglected area of positive psychology and she has done this brilliantly. She shows why an understanding of the body in positive psychology is essential, and she presents the material in a highly accessible and interesting manner. The mixture of theory, evidence and practical exercises makes this an engaging and valuable textbook. It is essential reading for anyone interested in Positive Psychology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thankfully, we are not just floating heads anymore!, 8 Aug 2013
This book really saved my day. The role of the body has been overlooked for far too long in the field of positive psychology and this book from Kate Hefferon was truly needed to bring a holistic view to flourishing. I am a current MSc. student in positive psychology and my background is in sports and exercise, so naturally I have been wondering where did the body disappear when positive psychology started to unravel the mysteries of well-being. Dr. Hefferon has provided a brilliant overview to this area and this book is a must read for anybody interested or researching in the area of well-being.

Positive Psychology and the Body: The somatopsychic side to flourishing