4.0 out of 5 stars a must-have for any MSc student
Published on 20 Jun 2011 by L. Wing

3.0 out of 5 stars 1st half is fine, 2nd Half is worst
The book is just fine because it only covers one area of research method in greater detail and just explain (for the sake of explanation) other methods, for example, it has discussed a case study and qualitative analysis example in greater detail. My question is what about other methods like quantitative analysis? Or students who want to focus conduct research based on...
Published 17 months ago by Ali

4.0 out of 5 stars a must-have for any MSc student, 20 Jun 2011
L. Wing (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Succeeding with Your Master's Dissertation: A Step-by-Step Handbook (Paperback)
This book provides a comprehensive overview of how you should think about approaching your dissertation, including suggested structure and useful tips on what to do (and what not to do!). I'm an MSc student on the final stage of the course where the scary bit is actually writing the dissertation and this has provided me with a guide, and confidence boost in what I am doing. As long as you dont rely solely on the book and mix in some commonsense, your initiative, and your marking criteria or student handbook I cant see how you could go wrong! This gave me an addition to my supervisor and answered a lot of the fiddly questions, leaving supervision time for the big stuff! A must buy for any MSc student, particularly those lacking that lil bit of self-confidence on your self-initiated independent research project. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book - helped me get a distinction!, 11 July 2014
I can't remember who had recommended this book to me but someone did whilst I was doing my Counselling MSc in 2012. I think I would have been lost without this book.

It explains how the dissertation needs to be structured, how to keep it focused on its aims and objectives, and even how to get the most out of your relationship with your dissertation supervisor.

The book is set out in the order in which a dissertation should be, and so follows a very logical format. I told my fellow students about this book and those of us that bought it got really good marks.

Would definitely recommend :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that really does spell it out - how to succeed, 18 Feb 2012
Darren "EssexMod" (Brentwood, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
If you have ever wondered what your supervisor meant by engaging with the literature, that your proposal lacked focus, that you haven't defined your objectives, or critically evaluated your data collection methods, then this is seriously the book for you. I have absolutely no doubt that I would have wasted lots of time and effort and got poor feedback and marks on my dissertation, had I not used this book. The examples in the appendices are excellent for structuring your own dissertation,and help with understanding the theory explained in the chapters. Like other reviewers, I cannot believe this book isn't on all dissertation reading lists. Simple - buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for masters students, 17 July 2011
I don't normally have the time to write reviews but this book is a must for anyone struggling with writing their dissertation. Like many other reveiwers I wish I had found it earlier and wonder why universities don't make all masters students aware from the outset that this book exists.

I haven't read it all yet but already it makes so much sense. It sets out the logical steps to take in a clear and informative manner and I can't recommend this book highly enough. Previously I spent time searching the internet looking for help only to realise that this was not the answer. Don't waste your time - just get this book instead! The guidance has allowed me to focus on what I really need to do to create a good dissertation and given me the confidence to realise that I am capable of it too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful advice, 29 Aug 2013
Another good book that gets to the point quickly and without fuss. Helps take the edge off concerns and potential anxiety about which direction or form ones dissertation should take.

The book appears written with respect to a certain faculty so some of the content may not help you effectively if you study some other subject, such as nursing studies etc; Even so, it contains enough information to help you through many of the stages of planning and writing the dissertation out.

Read it months before you actually begin approaching the dissertation, rather than leave it to the last minute. Even so, such is the straightforward (some may think, no nonsense) advice, I think you may be able to get away with finding it useful at the commencement of your dissertation if also used again and again through the course of it.

M.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to master your Master's, 17 Nov 2012
I have found this book to be most helpful. I am studying a master's level PGC in law and I find this book to be of great value to me. It covers things I had never thought of.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book on dissertation, 3 Oct 2012
Do yourself a favour and purchase this book.
It it far the best, easy to read and good flowing book that i have ever read on dissertation.
It is far better than: business research methods by bell and bryman
Must have for all that are concerned about their dissertation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 29 July 2012
Very useful refresher if you haven't written a thesis in a while, plus great examples! I would recommend anyone doing a masters to buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended by a good college, 28 Jan 2013
This book was recommended to me during the dissertation workshop in my college. I bought the book, stuck to the steps, didn't go to anymore workshops and my dissertation scored among the top five in class! (the college I went to is among world's top 2%) This book helped me so much, you have no idea. Every time I was lost - the book knew what to do. Loved it and I'm giving it 5 stars. It honestly kept me from going insane during that difficult time.

5.0 out of 5 stars MA guidance, 26 Dec 2013
Checked out the sample of this book on my Kindle then ordered the full copy. Not disappointed. Much preface a paper copy whe studying and have a few pages through the book with markers on them!

Succeeding with Your Master's Dissertation: A Step-by-Step Handbook