Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 August 2007
I came across this book in the bookstore at first and was in two minds as to whether I should get it. I ended up taking the plunge hoping that it would actually prove useful. It proved to be an excellent guide which is informative but leaves out all the unneccessary stuff that other books don't seem to do. It is very concise and gets to the point in each chapter. The author is a specialist at guiding students in their dissertations at a leading university which helps a lot: you can tell he knows whats best when writing up a 10,000-20,000 word dissertation. Essential for any budding dissertation student.
on 13 April 2009
Its true that this book is a straight-forward, concise guide to writing an undergraduate dissertation. I would suggest however, that if you're writing a full research paper, it's not the most helpful book. I have found the information somewhat limited and restrictive. If however, you are looking for a simple guide to get you started and are not doing a particularly large paper, this could indeed be the book for you.
on 5 September 2006
This is the thrid book I have bought to help me with my undergraduate dissertation and it is by far the most helpful. It is clear, concise, easy to read and uses excellent examples. I went from not having a clue how to tackle my subject to now having a title and a full plan of work in only 3 days. I'm a languages student, it's not particularly relevant to my subject, but it's a lot less irrelevant than other books I've bought! It's a perfect starting point.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 August 2012
After reading several books from the library, I was more confused that ever. I am estatic at finding this gem, and re reading this book, as it's too important not to.
It works on a range of questions and warnings.
Warnings like: Avoid subjects set in the future!! You'll get few marks for speculations!!

Advice like:
1. What are materials for a lit review - and shows you how to classify them.
2. Frame meaningful questions. Assess depth v breadth - if you do one case study it will have more depth than 2 case studies... but you can compare results if you do two or three cases. Watch out for the trade off between depth and breadth. You only have say 15,000 words... it's a danger point. Narrow the focus down to two... save your word count.
3. Plan your project in reverse (gives you times to work from). What to do if you've only 2 months left (ie what to cut).

4. There are 3 types of conclusions - mix and match from all three types
eg answers to your research questions, critique of literature AND reflections on methodology.

It tells you what methodology to use for each type of question (problem, thesis, issue) etc.

Basically this book has been written to let you hit the ground running - at top speed.

Advice like:
Start your bibliography IMMEDIATELY.

Immediately - as in now... go do it. :) Step 1 = Bibliography...
on 9 August 2010
The book arrived promptly. Really easy to read and went through the different sections in detail.
I found it very useful and started to read this before starting my dissertation. It gave me the layout I should use and helped me to think about what I needed to write in each section.
on 5 November 2010
I honestly found this better than my dissertation supervisor.

It was never off my computer desk and I scanned it thoroughly and followed it religiously. Highly recommended with a proven technique to help you gain a good mark!
on 13 March 2009
This book is a nice succinct guide for students on how to write a dissertation. It certainly won't take the place of a good academic adviser but provides helpful advice to full in the gaps. Very helpful!
on 2 June 2015
Still using it. Provides a simplified, systematic and condensed guide that is easy to use. Other books on this theme seem to go into too much detail when all I require is a concise overview that points me in the right direction and keeps me on that track. I particularly like the half dozen layouts dependent on how you wish to set out your dissertation
on 18 December 2014
Decent book, but no information that you couldn't find online for free - handy tips but not very subject specific and only really useful if you are a 1st year student wondering what an earth a dissertation even involves.
on 3 February 2014
This book was not as helpful as I had hoped. It's probably one to read before even doing your proposal when trying to figure out your topic. Didn't find it very helpful.