4.0 out of 5 stars A Great book!
I was recommended this book in my final year of a social work degree. I only wish I knew about it sooner!
Published on 26 Dec 2010 by Fairy Dust

3.0 out of 5 stars maybe its me!
I'm a third year social work student. I found this harder going than some theory books, however I struggle with theory! others on my course say its easy to read and relates theory to practice. you'd have to try for yourself
Published 18 months ago by kaz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great book!, 26 Dec 2010
It has a very clear structure, nicely worded, and academic but not too complex to read. It covers a range of subjects including theory, methods and linking to practice. My particular interest was the social construction of social work, which is covered in a whole chapter. A very helpful and relevant book. I would recommend this to anyone as a point of reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Applying social work theories and methods, 30 Dec 2011
Practice excellence is at the heart of every social worker's performance and directly impacts on services to society. The act of selecting the relevant theory and model for a specific intervention is vital and is a core skill to be mastered by every social worker throughout the entire career. This also requires a rigorous approach in selecting those most appropriate and serves as a prerequisite for the successful outcome of the preselected goal. For a social worker to select the appropriate theory and model for a planned intervention, knowledge of numerous practice theories and techniques is required. To achieve this, the practitioner should engage in continuous research and professional development of existing as well as latest scientific developments in the chosen area of expertise. The preferred method to facilitate this continuous professional development can be achieved individually, as a student or within a team setup. This book will facilitate the developmental process by providing a contemporary frame of reference.

This book consists of 12 sections as well as a comprehensive list of exercise boxes, figures and tables in support of discussed information. To name but a few, discussed theories and perspectives include social systems theory and the ecological perspective, social constructivism, person-centred approach, motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioural therapy, solution-focused practice, task-centred social work and crisis intervention.

In this book the author Barbra Teater, refreshes the practitioner's mind by clarifying the difference between a theory, method, perspective and model and shares practical experience and acute insights in a variety of traditional and contemporary theories which includes new apparitions such as motivational interviewing. The author's credentials in the field of social work further substantiate the scientific foundation of the information and credibility of the insights offered in this book and need and therefore needs to be one of the main references on the practitioner's desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be a core text on every social work course!, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: An introduction to applying social work theories and methods (Hardcover)
Does what it says on the tin....and then some!
The author has successfully transformed the `mystery' and confusion surrounding social work theories and methods into accessible and sense-making tools for study and social work practice.

This text cleverly asserts the importance of theories and methods for social work practice by firstly `rooting' each theory and method within its historical origins before explaining the concept and then further defining its application to practice through a case example. Most importantly, each chapter is rounded off with a comprehensive outline of strengths and limitations.

If there ever was a `good guide to social work theories and methods' this is it; a must for social work students and social work practitioners alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for students and practitioners, 7 April 2012
M. Brooks "foggy" (Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This book has made the last year of my degree so much easier. It explains all the theories in clear understandable language and gives opinion on the strengths and limitations for each.
Well worth buying this book, my only regret is that i wish i'd known about it 2 years ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars Theory Bible, 2 Mar 2012
Ms. E. L. Ward "BabyPink" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
Fantastic Book. I'm studying a Social Work Masters which is all about critical evaluation....critical evaluation...critical eveluation. They are also hot on anti-discriminatory and anti-oppressive information being put in the assignments. This book is brilliant. It goes through a few common theories and methods and points out the strengths and limitations. It also talks about AOP and ADP practice in relation to them. Great book for any social work student or practitioner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for social work students., 13 Jan 2014
I am currently studying Social Work at University and this book was recommended to me by a lecturer. I always struggled with theories and methods and linking them to practice. This book talks about many different theories and methods and is very easy to follow and I have used it many, many times as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any social work student!, 19 Aug 2013
I'm due to start my masters in Social Work in a couple of weeks and I have to say I am thoroughly impressed with this book. I've already read a few chapters and for someone that hasn't done anything to do with social work before, it is very much easy and enjoyable to read. It outlines theories clearly, giving the background info, giving examples of how each relates to the practice of social workers and finishes with strengths/limitations of each approach/method/theory.

I can already tell this book is going to be invaluable to my course for the next two years!

5.0 out of 5 stars All rounder, 22 July 2013
I would recommend this book to all years! Although I have just completed my first year I will be taking this book through all 3 years too! It's fab and easy to read! It's definitely been used a lot through all my assignments. It's been great to look over and really grasp what all those theories are actually about that you get taught in lectures! ;)

Overall brilliant book, definitely a must have!

4.0 out of 5 stars social work theories, 17 July 2013
this is a book that i bought to support my university course
it is very useful and i still use it now

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most useful Social Work Texts for Study and for Work, 27 Jun 2013
I used this book both in my studies at uni and still use it now as a qualified Social Worker. Really easy to read and doesn't waffle, which i love. Straight to the point and interesting too! I would definitely recommend this book to any social work student or social worker who wants a refresher on theories and methods! Brilliant!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

An introduction to applying social work theories and methods
An introduction to applying social work theories and methods by Barbra Teater (Hardcover - 1 July 2010)
Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 weeks