5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for first-timers
Published on 26 Oct. 2001 by Elvis

3.0 out of 5 stars very basic book!
Published on 14 Mar. 2012 by Whitehawk

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for first-timers, 26 Oct. 2001
Elvis (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I first bought this on starting summer before my final year at university. I wanted to prepare for writting my dissertation, and luckily I found this book. It helped me prepare and carry out the project and took the fear out of taking on something which was new and seemed overwhelming. I lent it to a friend who was having trouble with her own dissertation efforts - and she found it helped her too. So much so that she never gave me my copy back. Even after I graduated I remembered that the advice and tips were so helpful that I bought myself another copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The one and only, 11 Feb. 2005
By A Customer
If you are about to start your dissertation this is the essential guide for you. Whether you are studying at degree or masters level, this book will help you all the way. Offering practical advice in an easy to understand manner it breaks the process down into easily manageble chunks. Don't read it at your own peril.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!, 27 Jun. 2005
If anyone one, like myself, is struggling to know where to start with their dissertation then this book is excellent grounding, talking a person through the maze that is the library shelves to discussions about making the most of a supervisor. Despite not undertaking research in education (my field is Criminology) this book has given an excellent guide to what otherwise is a very daunting experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars research and masters students -help is at hand, 27 May 2004
I would like to congratulate Judith Bell on writing this book!!
I am a research masters student and became completly bogged-down in what I had to achieve BUT thanks to Judiths book,I now have a direction and know what I must do...
If you are a researcher or a student conducting research, this book is a must!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tips for beginners from an expert!, 18 Aug. 2002
By A Customer
I bought this book when I started with my MBA dissertation. I was totally confused by the format of the dissertation since it was totally different to what I am used to in Germany.
Therefore, I needed an easy-to-read book from an expert - and i defenitely found this book!!
I can highly recommended the book to anyone starting with a research for a dissertation either BA or MBA or even practitioners doing a research project on the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars You WILL need this!, 11 Feb. 2007
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I am using this book to help me with aspects of my Masters course in Education. I found it amongst some of my father's books from his own studies and decided it looked like the kind of thing I needed.

Boy am I glad that I came across it because it has been one of the best books I've opened dealing with research. It is clear and easy to understand and certainly doesn't blind you with science like some guides do! You come away with a clearer idea of what you need to do and how to do it!

Essential ... if you don't want to experience a nervous breakdown trying to make sense of your research project!

4.0 out of 5 stars The subtitle corresponds to the content, 30 Dec. 2001
Dmitry Pozhidaev (Belgrade, Serbia) - See all my reviews
This is one of those rare cases when the subtitle (A guide for first-time researchers) really corresponds to the book's content. Importantly, the book contains a lot of practical guidelines, which other (more serious and more academic) books just disregard as too obvious. The problem is that theoretic knowledge very often cannot solve many practical difficulties you inevitably face doing your first research. I've found this book a useful addition to my course in Methods of Social Research for undergraduates.

4.0 out of 5 stars All you need in one book!, 11 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
Overall this is a great book and gives you step by step help and useful suggestions on how to write your dissertation. It is written in a very clear and informative way and has an easy to use index. On the other hand, it does get a bit heavy going at times, but these, I have found, are very few and far between. As a student who is starting their dissertation, I would recommend it to all others in the same situation as it has proved invaluable throughout.

3.0 out of 5 stars very basic book!, 14 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Doing Your Research Project (Open Up Study Skills) (Paperback)
if you dont know anything about research or have been away from it for a while its a good book to get you started, however its not very deep! i found it lacking it most areas i need more info on and had to get a more suited book (by mark saunders) that was in alot more depth! in short if you have not dont research for a while im sure this will help you, other then that id jump to a more in depth book as your going to need it!

if you still want this book - its worded well, easy to read and under stand, dose give refs of other texts to get more info on! and it is small and easy to carry so good to have as a ref.text in class etc. AKA it dose have 250 odd pages of info lets not forget this! so it will give you small bit of info on stuff like "reliability and validity" tell you all about "quantitive and qualitive "and so on! if you dont know anything i just said there this book will be great for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars USEFUL AND EASY TO READ, 4 May 2012
I had no experience in research projects in human sciences and didn't really understand the hang of it. I had planned out tones of readings just to understand research methods, but luckily this book was the first one I got.

It turned to be a great start, easy to read both due to the narrative style and because it is written so that the subject is understood even if you don't come from a social sciences background or have no previous experience with research project. The chapter regarding the approaches and the methods was the best, short but meaningful. It makes it clear what the strength of each approach is and makes it easy to understand the differences between them. Also, there are great useful tips on how to organize your ideas and decide a topic and to give it the right scope.

It saved me all the reading I had planned just to understand research and it helped to chose an approach I had absolutely no knowledge of until then, and found out that it was the perfect thing to do for my dissertation. Off course, I had to rely on more specialized authors for actually using the approach I wanted, but this book provided me with background for understanding those readings and for knowing what I wanted to get out of them.

Doing Your Research Project (Open Up Study Skills)
Doing Your Research Project (Open Up Study Skills) by Judith Bell (Paperback - 1 May 2010)