4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, but problem with the printing of this edition, 4 Aug 2008
This review is from: Learning to Use Statistical Skills in Psychology (Paperback)
I am a computer scientist interested in doing experiments with humans. There are many books on statistics out there, very few of them talk about "research design". This is something that students of psychology learn over the years, but I never found a quick straight-to-the-point guide. I just wanted a quick way to learn the thinking behind experimental design without having to go through all the math (until I actually need it).

A nice feature of this book is the "decision chart", which is usually printed no the inside of the back cover. It is basically a summary to help you decide which statistical test is more appropriate for your needs. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed when I saw that the chart was missing from the copy I received. I even asked Amazon for an exchange, and the second copy they sent me had the same problem. I think it's a problem with the printing of the whole batch (the chart should be there because it is referred to many times in the text, and appears in previous editions).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Psychology students!!, 11 July 2012
I purchased this book in my first year of studying Psychology at university. This book has been a life saver! explaining all statistical t-tests, one-two tailed hypothesis and everything in between. If you are new to statistics for psychology then get this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the stalwart based texts, 21 Sep 2014
Always had a soft spot for this book since it was my basic stats class text. For the most part, it addresses the fact that most social science students aren't applied mathematicians and just let you get on with the procedure of doing statistical tests. It's generally well-written and accessible (although IMHO, the chi-square section could be tweaked a bit). It's a useful resource for social science research methods, but also, a bit expensive given what you actually get here - minus one star for the current price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book in Statistics for beginners, 24 April 2013
Angela (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have tried so hard to find a book which explain everything in basic.Most of books in Statistics,although they says it's a basic or fundamental level, use a lot of jargon words and obscure language which are very difficult to understand for a beginner like me.However,this book is very simple to follow.The writer explains core concepts of Statistics with easy language.It also contains case studies which can be used as models in other research.I would recommend this book for a beginner who are looking for step by step book especially for those who have no prior knowledge in the subject.

Learning to Use Statistical Skills in Psychology
Learning to Use Statistical Skills in Psychology by Manuela D'Oliveira (Paperback - 1 Dec 2005)