5.0 out of 5 stars A book that 'fills in the gaps' ..., 15 Dec 2001
feemail1@barclays.net (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
A brilliant book that I wish I had known about earlier in my DipSW training - also wish I had the author as one of my tutors.
The author truly does 'fill in the gaps' left by DipSW training that focuses endlessly on 'competences', for example, by listing all those elusive 'skills' that social work students are supposed to demonstrate, and by defining exactly what is meant by terms such as 'theory', intervention', 'method', etc, etc, etc.
Beg, borrow, or even (blow the expense) buy this book - you won't regret it (despite the over-emphasis on psychological rather than sociological perspectives). I think I shall still be referring to it as a newly-qualified practitioner and it will be invaluable during the remainder of my second placement, especially when writing assignments and evidence sheets...

5.0 out of 5 stars My essential text for the Social Work BA & MA, 22 Feb 2007
This review is from: Social Work Skills: A Practice Handbook. 2nd edition (Paperback)
For me, this book has been essential during my two year MA in SW, and I am sure the same will apply for any person studying the BA. As others have said, this book contains the information you need, and is easy and enjoyable to read. I have dipped into my library copy for many assignments, and have now purchased my own copy ans I want to read it through - I can't say that I have been inspired by many other texts to do the same! This has also proved useful when applying theory to my practice when writing up my APT and portfolio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Trevithick, 14 July 2005
This is a book for rejuvenating tired minds. It sets out all you need to know about the theory and practice of social work. It is a must-have for post-qualifying study.
It is a useful resource and helps organise the braincells into an orderly queue.
You can read any section in isolation or just work your way through the book. It is well written, simply presented and avoids jargon. Most of all it is a good read - not something you encounter every day in social work literature.
I used this book when I completed PQ 2-4 last year and found it indispensable. I dipped in and out of subjects with ease. The book is presented in such a way that every page is self-contained and theories/practice/skills/methods/values and case studies are analysed and explained with ease.
Most important of all, the writer knows her subject and enjoys her work. I found myself identifying with her views and experiences. I did not feel patronised or require a dictionary to decipher the text.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in working with and for people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable text, 5 Mar 2008
I am currently completing my Social Work BA (Hons) Degree and came across this text book by chance. I am so glad I did! It has been an invaluable book for me, each chapter is well written and easy to read without too much jargon, a problem I find in a lot of academic text books! It is written to be understood from a student perspective and I wish more text books were written in this way. I am on my first year but I feel this book will be a great help throughout my studies. My friend borrowed it from me and has since ordered her own copy as she was so impressed. I would recommend this book without hesitation as it will be an excellent tool in most of your assignments as I have found out!

5.0 out of 5 stars A nust have book, 13 Jun 2009
I am doing my BA (hons) in Sw and too have just bought this book, anyone going on placement for the first time will have to complete a portfolio, demonstratign theories, interventions ect, this book covers theories and interventions, Egans model and communications, Service user participation, everything involving dealing with people in all prospectives, I wish I had bought this book from my forst day as a student, i would have learnt more from this one book and would have saved lots of money from the reading list that I was given.

A must have - Student at Lincoln Uni

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible for Social Workers.., 15 July 2009
E. Spence (UK) - See all my reviews
If you only buy one social work book, make it this one..I'm in my last year of my BSc and I have used this for every module I've studied. It's brilliant, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must, 22 Aug 2009
C. Glaister (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
I have used this book for every single assignment during my 3 years at Uni. This book is clear and easy to understand providing a over view of many areas of social work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Social Work Skills: A Practice Handbook. 2nd edition, 22 Feb 2011
A must for every Social Work student. Easy to navigate, good overview of every subject. I am currently studying Access to Social Work, I wish this book was discovered at the beginning of the course.

4.0 out of 5 stars An important book but why so expensive, 24 May 2001
By A Customer
I rarely buy books but this one has joined the select few in my practice teaching library. It provides a very simple look at social work skills (50 are listed) and knowledge.
The only dissapointment is the price. Students will probably not pay the [price] that the OU are asking which is a pity

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it...that is all..., 12 April 2013
This is a great book, it will be used time and time again i promise. The best thing about this book is how easy it is to read and it relates everything back to practice - great for when you are on placement.

Social Work Skills: A Practice Handbook. 2nd edition
Social Work Skills: A Practice Handbook. 2nd edition by Pamela Trevithick (Paperback - 1 Jun 2005)
Used & New from: £4.99