5.0 out of 5 stars Health psychology bible

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather theoretical and neglects personality research
Published on 25 Dec 2002 by MR

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Health psychology bible, 18 May 2009
During my MSc in Health Psychology I found this book excellent at explaining the important health psychology models and some interesting research in key areas of health. I have gone on to use it as a reference book in my PhD. I would recommend this to anyone intereted in health psychology and it is a must have for anyone doing a masters or an undergrad module on health psychology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read & ideal for undergraduate students!, 8 April 2010
This is a really simple book to read and well laid out. Each chapter begins with an overview and a list of bullet points of what areas are to be covered in that chapter.

Whether you are searching for specific information or have a general interest in Psychology and enjoy reading, I would recommend this book. I have not read this through yet, but what I have read has been interesting and informative....am looking forward to reading it through properly...!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 26 Jan 2010
This book was highly recommended by my course leader at university for any health, medical or psychology related modules/degrees. I can honestly say I would not have passed without this book!
All research is recent and up to date.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather theoretical and neglects personality research, 25 Dec 2002
MR (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
An excellent introduction to Health Psychology, but I did find it a bit too theoretical and rather basic at times. There is also relatively little emphasis on personality and health, despite strong evidence for interactions between these. I expected to see coverage of the five factor model and health behaviours/outcomes, and more on heart disease and hostility. But good coverage and excellent set of references for further reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Health Psychology, 3 Feb 2012
I purchased this book along with Jane's essential readings for my final year studying Psychology. I found it extremely useful in covering all the topics I needed for my Health Psychology module in terms of knowledge and research into each area. A good read,I would recommend this book as an essential to anyone wanting to learn further in Health Psychology!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful text, 3 Feb 2012
Really handy book, I used this for my whole Health Psychology module during my final year. There is considerable breadth but also a lot of depth, with lots of critical points which are essential to consider during final year undergrad. Lots of good indications for further reading too.

5.0 out of 5 stars health Psychology, 5 Aug 2011
I found this book excellent for my undergraduate and masters courses. It was bang on with regards to my health psychology modules and provided me with everything I needed as well as some references for further reading when needed. I would definately recommend this to anyone doing a psych course who has a health psychology module, it will see you through!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pick it up at least once a week, 4 Aug 2011
This book is great for giving you an overview of all health psychology matters both from a theoretical and applied perspective.

The 'testing a theory' boxes provide a good starting point for reading and understanding published journal articles and the summary and end of chapter questions help ensure you have understodd the information correctly.

I purchased this book the summer before beginning an MSc in Health Psychology having been out of university for a few years. It helped freshen up my memory and provided me with the relevant perspectives and background knowledge for the MSc so that I felt confident when starting the course. Since then I have picked it up as a starting point for every assignment I have written.

Cannot rate highly enough. Any psychology student or anyone with an interest in health would find both the content and the layout easy to understand and accessible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant resource, 4 Aug 2011
This book would be extremely useful to anyone studying an undergraduate module or msc in health psychology. It is clearly written and covers a wide range of topics, with an extensive reference list making it possible to easily find they key readings in your particular area of interest. Would recommend 100%!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, Concise and easy to read. Ideal book for Students, 23 Jun 2011
Throughout my own psychology BSc (Hons) I found this book extremely useful. The well laid out and easy to read nature of the book means it is easy to dip into and find exactly what you need. The examples used were both relevant and fun, making the book an easier read than some. Whilst the topic is very detailed Ogden gives the necessary information in a clear format, often aided by diagrams. I will be teaching Psychology next year and will be sure to use the book whenever necessary.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Health Psychology: A Textbook
Health Psychology: A Textbook by Jane Ogden (Paperback - 1 Mar 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01