on 21 February 2014
By studing contemporary language, we are able, says Cupitt, to see how some of the old metaphisical dogmas are returning in a non-church, non-realist way. A very good read.
on 31 May 2012
I've been a practising Christian since I was ...... brainwashed into it by the socialisation process. But after reading this book I realise that human beings, those bipeds that seem to be all around me and of which I am an example, actually think differently and diversely and not along the same microscopic guidelines I was brought up to believe in and follow. Suddenly I realise that the Bible was just a book cobbled together by a bunch of power hungry men who were the ancient equivalent of George Orwell's 'Thought Police' and yet were in possession of the absolute truth of which I am one of the chosen recipients. Bravo, Don, for thinking for yourself and having the audacity to express yourself. Your truth is just as convincing as that expressed by the members of my Bible study group. Although you are completely wrong and right and they are, also. Although a deeply 'floored' book - meaning it is under the intellectual floorboards of one reviewer .... too deep ..... it is interesting and creative and individual ....... dare to think and question. A brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant book - just for existing because actually, I haven't even read it. Just like the previous two 'reviewers' - re: Brainwashed bipeds. I'm just so confused. Must read my Bible, must read my truth book and phone my Bible study group omniscient co-robots. Software download required. Is that right or should it be something else? Email ... download from God required.
on 23 May 2012
Got due to my bible study group, deeply floored book, written in very high academic language so not engaging for most; does raise a few interesting points about faiths place in modern society but not worth the slog to get to them
VINE VOICEon 19 August 2010
How do people view the relationship between divinity and humanity?,......is the question posed at the heart of this rigourous and academic work. Our search today is for a way of talking convincingly about this relationship, if it exists or iseven meaningfully possible! In his latest book, SCM Press release, Don Cupitt writes about how talk about that relationship is evolving. He points out "... that a surprising amount of traditional Christian belief - including a new grand narrative, and a non-metaphysical theology - is currently returning to us in secular form." How will this play out? This writing will undoubtedly generate controversy and discussion as his previous books have done. For two centuries and more our culture has been secular, and no religious doctrine now plays a constitutive part in any established branch of knowledge. Most important, persuades Cupitt, themes of the old theology are currently returning to us in new and strange guises. Thus God, the strict judge who searches our hearts and demands inner integrity, returns in the critical thinking which makes everyone trained it his own hardest taskmaster. Again, the biblical idea that the world is made by the utterance of language returns in modern poetry and linguistic philosophy. By assembling such reminders, Don Cupitt shows that a surprising amount of traditional Christian belief including a new grand narrative, and a non-metaphysical theology is currently returning to us in secular form. Best said by Cupitt himself, "Yet if God is dead, he won't lie down, and reminder of the old faith still pervade our language, the built environment, our art and our literature." This is a stretching and stimulating work,..... yet it lacks soul.
55 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse