on 26 October 2011
The book is the 7th impression printed by SCM Press (London). The font is a serif one and the paper is clearly porous. The end result is the ink has to be applied thickly and it bleeds into the paper making leaving a clear shadow from the print on other side of of the sheet. So it has the impression of being a "7th copy of a copy of a video." - rather fuzzy.

The book is well structured and thankfully ends with a chapter on "Employing the fruits of biblical exegesis". From beginning to end the facets of exegesis are all explored. Some may find the early diagrams helpful to see the interplay in communicating a message - though mirror images may lead to some confusion.

The bibliography for each chapter is extensive, though the text of the book has no formal reference numbers. The bibliography probably reflects the authors' sources of inspiration and reference. If I were to read all the references from Chapter 1 I would have a significant library. Of the 54 references in Chapter 1 only 10 are considered more worthy of followup reading (by the authors marks). For edition 3 I would be happy to see only the 10 references - for a beginners handbook I see no need for more references. If I want to 'get into' academic exegesis I would go on a course and then be immersed in the other references.

Is it a useful book? Absolutely! It helps the reader to better understand the Bible they read; to become more comfortable with apparent internal inconsistencies that some enjoy prodding Christians with; to learn to read in a thinking pattern; to apply ancient writings to modern life in an appropriate manner. Will is remain in my library - yes.

The content is worth considerably more than the cheap printing!
on 2 December 2009
I am new to Biblical exegesis but I found this book very readible. It made the subject very understandable and so I would thoroughly recommend it to those starting out in this field.
on 2 November 2013
The service was excellent : a competitive price, well packaged and delivered promptly. The book is well written and challenging. It needs to be studied rather than read - which is what I wanted and expected.