5.0 out of 5 stars China just keeps getting better and better
I know it's an awful cliche, but i actually couldnt put this book down. seriously.
yeh it doesnt start all that well with the search for Judah. but once it gets going it's breathtaking. the whole section about Judah's past was unforgettable and the sections during the attempted revolution in New Crobuzon was imense.
I know people disregard this book becuase of...
Published on 22 Aug 2007 by Richard S. Clesham

3.0 out of 5 stars Iron Council - China Mieville
Mieville sets a new bench mark for Sci-Fi creativity with this book. His inventiveness twists so many dimensions of culture, space, time and social norms that it can leave the reader reeling and confused. It is not just the challenge of imagining Mieville's many and varied creatures and landscapes that makes this book different. It is the way he spins what is essentially...
Published on 25 Sep 2006 by Sebastian Liebowitz

1.0 out of 5 stars Rusty I'm afraid..., 24 Dec 2004
This review is from: Iron Council (Hardcover)
I thought King Rat was quite good. Perdido Street Station was very good. The Scar was brilliant. Thus impressed I couldn't wait for the paperback of Iron Council and stumped up for the hardback. Well I read half of the book through gritted teeth but couldn't take any more. The glittering fantasy concepts of his previous works are stil there but, alas, are a poor shadow of their former selves. Disappointment indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, ingenious fantasy., 29 Oct 2005
This review is from: Iron Council (Paperback)
A wonderfully powerful and fantastical novel. Not an easy read but all the more rewarding because of it! The middle section was a particular delight which moved at an excitingly fast pace withought losing the artistic vision and vivid discription the authour excells at. Moving.

1.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly poor, 23 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Iron Council (Hardcover)
Having though Perdido Street Station and the Scar were excellent, I just bought this one without even reading the reviews. Big mistake - for some reason I just couldn't get into it, and gave up about a third of the way through. It was so unmemorable I can't think of much more to say about it. If you haven't read any books by China Mieville I suggest you start with one of his other books. If you still insist on buying it my advice is to wait for the paperback.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the novel I would have chosen, 31 Jan 2011
gururob (Wellingborough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iron Council (Paperback)
I picked this book at random from from the bookshelves after hearing China speak at this year's Cheltenham Literature Festival. His inventive use of words and obvious intelligence and passion for SF made it a necessary action.
Thing is, I wish I had checked reviews first as this isn't a great book upon which to hang an overall opinion of the writer.

Firstly, I expected his language to be inventive but I wasn't fully prepared for just how much he seems to make up. Also, the narrative is, at times, slow and overly descriptive. I can hear some of you thinking 'how can you be too descriptive?' but what I mean is that, while I was wading through the descriptive passages, I sometimes lost sight of the plot and had to backtrack.

His creatures are sometimes a little too bizarre. Granted, this isn't the first New Crobuzon story and I expect that some things are explained in earlier books but races like the Cactacae (giant bipedal cacti) and Khepri (people with whole beetles in place of a human head) are, for me, too fanciful. Also, some of the Remade are just plain daft - steam-powered people who have to eat coal, for instance.

What China has done, however, is to whet my appetite for more. On the strength of this book I have purchased 2 more of his (Perdido Street Station and The City and the City) and I hope they will give me a more complete appreciation of his talents.

Worth reading but unsatisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mieville does it again, 29 July 2004
W. Lexner (Attleboro, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iron Council (Hardcover)
This book has been released in the US, and I had the distinct pleasure to meet China Mieville this past weekend (San Diego Comicon) and have the US edition signed by him. I went home and devoured this book in two days.
Set in the same world as Perdido Street Station and The Scar, The Iron Council does everything the previous two novels accomplished and more.
The ending. You have to read the ending.
Wow.
Mieville is on track to be a heavyweight in literature.

1.0 out of 5 stars Iron Council? say rather; Frozen dog turd., 28 Mar 2008
This review is from: Iron Council (Paperback)
The characters swear when they talk in this book, they say *uck and *hit and *astard. Thats not all they say though,there is dialouge in this book: a banal stilted exchange ( and when i say that the dialouge is banal and stilted, i really do mean it TRUST ME!-- it would make a comic-book writer blush, were talking brain dead territory here folks.

The author seems to have had a web page open at a Thesaurus whilst writing Iron Council (so many words with similar meanings used as substitutes for their more commonplace counterparts) this inturn is used to mask the shallowness of the writing.

The plot moves along at a snappy pace. we are told to look at one situation before being hurried on to another and another and another. So many scenarios, so little development on those scenarios.

The Characters -they really cant be called characters at all- there just the author talking to himself; Pale. wraith-like creations, immediately forgotten.

Iron Council
Iron Council by China Mieville (Hardcover - 17 Sep 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01