5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a teacher
I have read this book to children in Year 2 and 3, all of which loved it. The illustrations are beautiful and there are many lessons which can tie in with the books themes; travel, friendship, rhyming etc.
A lovely story which is especially suitable for 5-8 year olds.
Published on 5 April 2005 by Gemmad

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing....
....if you've read Room on the Broom ! the rhymes aren't half as good and often quite "forced", and the story isn't as gripping as the others. Maybe more suitable for older children than for toddlers.
Published on 26 Mar 2007 by Cecilia Costa

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting and Heartwarming Adventure, 1 Nov 2005
J. H. Sweet - See all my reviews
I absolutely love this book. It is a classic tale with a friendship reminiscent of Wilbur and Charlotte, though expressed in much fewer words. This is an exceptional book with beautiful illustrations and a wonderful story - perfect for all ages. The adventurous spirit and courage of our tiny hero is remarkable, proving that even the smallest of us can make a huge difference in the world. This is truly a prize book for my collection, and one I will enjoy reading again and again for years to come.
J.H. Sweet, author of The Fairy Chronicles

5.0 out of 5 stars super and ageless, 18 Jan 2005
My children (4 and 7) absolutely love this book. They both relate to the ideas of wanting to explore the world further and being too small. Smashing to read on a day when a little one has been helpful, so they can relate to the story. Lovely lovely book and a lasting reference for them from when they were very tiny to a grown up seven!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aesop eat your heart out, 6 Oct 2006
Dr. H. Payne - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snail and the Whale (Paperback)
Donaldson has taken the theme of the fable of the lion with the thorn in his paw, saved by the feeble mouse and has reworked it with the tale of the snail and the whale. As with the original Aesop story it gives small people a sense of hope about the potential to influence their environment in significant ways. Unlike Aesop it does this through magical poetry that neither I nor my 3 year-old tire of, alongside beautiful illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 16 July 2006
C. A. Yemm - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snail and the Whale (Paperback)
A truely wonderful book the the whole family enjoys and loves. One of our favorites!!

superb!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lovely book..., 22 Jun 2006
Scary Sue (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snail and the Whale (Paperback)
This is a truly lovely book that my son and I now know off by heart. There are very few books that I enjoy reading for the 437th time, but this is one of them. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful words, illustrations and story, 17 May 2006
This review is from: The Snail and the Whale (Paperback)
This is my favourite Donaldson/Scheffler book as it is just such a beautiful story. My 3 year old and I are big fans of their wonderful rhyming tales that are so beautifully illustrated.

The tale of the tiny snail with a sense of adventure and his giant friend will introduce your child to the wonders of the world and the contradictions of man's ability to cause disasters but his willingness to help his fellow creatures. The unlikely friendship of the animals and the snail's role as his friend's saviour shows how we shouldn't judge by appearances

Although the messages are quite deep they are told so beautifully and simply that your young one will absorb them without even realising it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written, 18 Dec 2006
C. Tighe (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snail and the Whale (Paperback)
Out all Julia Donaldsons book this is my "just turned" 6 year old joint favourite (along with the gruffalo). He loves this book and know it off by heart.

Again very well written with fantastic illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another "gospel" from the parents saviour, 6 Oct 2007
DavyA (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Snail and the Whale (Paperback)
What an entertaining & enjoyable childrens book this is. The snail hitches a lift around the world on the tail of the whale & then returns the favour in spades...
Julia Donaldson hits the jackpot (yet) again in a superb rhyming story , which highlights the beauty of the world we live in, with smashing illustrations that are both humorous & captivating, in support of her wonderful writing.
Another bed time classic (& surely it must be a classic for younger kiddies ?) & one of her most beautiful stories.
Clever, humorous & informative - just brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really captivating read!, 30 July 2007
Mrs. S. C. Thompson "5ophie77" (West Midlands, Uk.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snail and the Whale (Paperback)
We love this book. It's afirm favourite. We've had it about a month and I think we've read it every day! I'm afraid I get really carried away and make up funny voices and all sorts. This is perfect for my son who is 3 1/2. Buy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Book, 26 July 2007
Chipstick (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Snail and the Whale (Paperback)
This is a beautiful book in every sense: the illustrations are detailed and glorious and the rhyming text enhances the experience. A little snail hitches a ride around the world on the tail of a massive whale. He sees all sorts of habitats and environments, as well as how mankind can adversely affect marine life, before the whale gets beached on the sand. The snail may be small, but now he manages to help his friend (with the assistance of mankind this time!) and as a result they both get home safely.

This is children's writing at its finest. There is so much depth to this book and in reading it you will have the opportunity to really share and discuss, as well as simply to enjoy the enchantment, humour and magic of this lovely story!

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb48f3f84)

The Snail and the Whale
The Snail and the Whale by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 3 Sep 2004)
3.85