4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from Colin Dexter
Another good read from Colin Dexter. I really enjoyed LAST SEEN WEARING. The missing girl in the shape of the character Valerie Taylor had been missing for two years, three months and two days and had gone missing on her way back to school.

Published on 28 Jun 2007 by Andy Capp

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first one
Published 19 months ago by MissGummyBear16

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from Colin Dexter, 28 Jun 2007

I liked the rapport between Morse and Lewis (Lewis in my mind as I read the book) had really got more confidence when talking to Morse and even when Lewis had to go to bed with the flu, he really thought about the case and gave Morse plenty to think about when he visited him.

I don't want to spoil it for readers who haven't read the book but what I can tell you is that the characters Baines and Phillipson were very dark and Colin Dexter invented twists and turns that were very surprising. This is what made the novel interesting for me to read and I was surprised by Mrs.Taylor's actions (Valerie's mother) and the big surprise was at the end but you'll have to read the book as I don't want to spoil it for anybody.

Congratulations to Pan (Colin Dexter's publishers) for the great covers) and to Colin himself for penning another great novel. Well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderfully constructed story of feints and blind alleys, 22 Sep 2012
Rob Kitchin - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
There are two elements that raise Last Seen Wearing above usual police procedural fare. The first is the plotting and the second the characterization. Dexter maps out a wonderfully constructed story of feints and blind alleys as Morse stumbles from one line of reasoning to another, his theories constantly dashed on the rocks of empirical evidence. Every time it appears he has found a path forward, it turns into a cul-de-sac. This is not a tale of a genius cop who always finds his quarry, but is rather more Clouseau in his bumbling, much to Lewis' delight. Morse and Lewis are both well drawn, somewhat complex and paradoxical characters. Morse, for example, is both cultured and coarse, buying the Sunday Times and the News of the World as his Sunday papers and dragging Lewis into a strip club on a visit to London. The support cast of suspects were also nicely realised. As always, Oxford and its surrounds provide a scenic backdrop. Overall, a very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 31 May 2013
This is the second inspector morse book and its as good as the first.I only recommend this to more advanced readers and its occasionally very difficult to read.overall its really good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story!, 2 Feb 2014
Love Inspector Morse books - Mr Dexter pens an excellent read! Thank you Mr Dexter for taking the time to produce such an excellent novel!

4.0 out of 5 stars Although I have all of the Morse dvds and my ..., 21 Sep 2014
A. M. Pardoe (Worcestershire UK) - See all my reviews
Although I have all of the Morse dvds and my wife and I have watched them a number of times, I have never read any of the books, so this is the first one. After two hours more or less continuously reading, I find it well written and very much a 'page turner'. I still have over half to finiish and have now ordered 'Last bus to Woodstock' from the same supplier, Sten Books, both brand new books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The second Morse story by the master crime writer Colin ..., 23 Aug 2014
The second Morse story by the master crime writer Colin Dexter. A growing maturity in the plot and leading characters is clearly evident as the doleful detective continues his search for fullfillment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first one, 3 Feb 2013
This is the second novel in the Inspector Morse series, which was a very popular tv series in the 80s. This novel had a much better plot than the last. The mystery was much more interesting, I actually felt interested about what was going to happen and how the mystery would end. It flowed much better than the last, I didn't feel so disappointed when I reached the end.
The plot was more puzzling, and I actually didn't have any idea who did it, it was a lot less obvious. There were also a lot of plot twists through out, just as you thought you knew "who-dunnit" Dexter threw in a twist and you're back to square one.
I thought in general the characters in this book were much better than in the previous one, there was a wide and diverse range of characters which were much more interesting than the last. It was also great to learn more about Lewis, Morse's sidekick. Lewis is probably my favourite character.
In the last novel I really didn't like Morse, I thought he was some perverted old man who spent more time leering at young ladies than actually solving the crimes. Unfortunately he was the same in this novel, his personality causes me to approach these novels with caution.
Overall I enjoyed this novel more than the previous one, but it wasn't anything special, and I wouldn't recommend unless you are a fan of the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars detective work by trial and error!, 13 Dec 2011
Ter (Aberdeen) - See all my reviews
Detective work by trial and error! Morse is an unusual, or perhaps just old fashioned detective, as he appears to base all of his theories on very flimsy ideas. I first read this book many years ago, and now, coming back to them I am surprised how equal Morse and Lewis appear - I had recollections of it being very much a master and servant relationship.

The looping back of the storyline is quite well managed but it is not a particularly riveting read.

Women get a fairly raw deal in any Dexter novel, very much there to be leered over rather than as any real part of a plot. Amazing how many beauties secretly urge for borderline alcoholic miserable police detectives!

3.0 out of 5 stars Significant differences to the TV episode based on this book. Enigmatic ending., 3 April 2013
James Byrne (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
A good read; but readers should be aware that the books are generally not simply the script of the TV series. In particular Lewis is an older man than Morse in the books and some characteristics of the characters are very different. The TV episode, though using many of the same character names, is generally a different story to the book. If the reader is familiar with the televised series, they may find the books a little disappointing, the reverse being equally true!
Well worth reading however, although the ending I found to be rather enigmatic - I still don't know for sure who killed Baines!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Aug 2014
great story

Last Seen Wearing
Last Seen Wearing by Colin Dexter (Audio Cassette - 21 Sep 2001)
Usually dispatched within 9 to 14 days