Format: Rag BookChange

on 21 September 2001
You cannot fault this book when it comes to entertaining babies. My son loves it and as it comes with a handy plastic cord you can attach it to the car seat making sure you always have something with you to entertain you little one. The different textures within the book encorage your child to turn the pages and feel his way through the story. To finish it the pictures are nice and bright and the story is simple yet my son finds it very entertaining.
If you have baby buy this book and attach it to their car seat. You will have a wonderful toy for your child to play with and you will never leave home without a toy again.
0Comment26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 January 2010
have purchased this book many times...every baby I know simply loves it!!Working as a maternity nurse am always on the lookout for things that are good value,durable and entertaining for the little ones and this'first book'fits the bill...I will be ordering more in the future..
on 31 December 2009
My son received this when he was 3 months old or so. At first he simply held it to look at his reflection in the mirror (a very good mirror by childrens book standards - it doesn't have the "crazy mirror" feel many others have) though he soon got into turning the pages and chewing on it, which is where this book came into it's own. I was sick of looking at board books with teeth marks in them. All this needs is a quick wash at night and viola, you're ready for the next day.

One simple, but often overlooked feature is the book is the velcro tag. You can attach it to cot bars or pushchairs or.. anything, really.

The pages are very simple. There are three black and white images of animals (the same seen on the front cover) with the names written beneath, and three black/white/red patterns. They're quite simple images but hold babies interest for quite some time.
0Comment23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 12 November 2013
My 2-month old looks at this and it does take her attention and she likes squeezing the pages with her hand. It makes a noise which seems to entertain her. The faces in this, and other similar books, capture her eyes and when I move the book, she does try and follow it. It has stopped her crying on numerous occasions, which is deserving of 5 stars in my opinion!
on 5 July 2005
My 8 month old son loves this and many times we have managed to stop him crying by showing him this book. For some reason he finds the pink pig extremely amusing!
on 12 May 2010
My Baby LOVED this book from when she was 1 week old and was holding it to look at it from 2 weeks!
We could not believe how interested she was in it!
It is very suitable for Newborns and would make a great gift. It is very durable and padded!
One of my best baby buys!!!
on 22 May 2013
Did not live up to expectations.. Pretty basic compared to other black and white books such as "my animals". The fact that it could not be washed added to the frustration. Decided to wash it as baby too young and was biting it. The colours run!
on 15 February 2013
I started to read to my baby when he was just 2 months old and started with the "Black and White" book first. I felt a little silly reading to a two month old, but persisted and soon enough (about 2 weeks in) he started to show real interested in the book. After having that book for a while I decided to purchase this one as it is easy for him to handle on his own now (he is 4 months now). So when we are out in the buggy (or in his car seat) he can handle it as it is soft material and it does keep his attention for a long while. The pages make noises as well when handled. Very pleased with the book - comes with a buggy strap so you can dangle it from the buggy handle. Will def recommend.
VINE VOICEon 11 October 2012
This little rag book is for my granddaughter for Christmas when she will be 6 months old. I find it stimulating and I feel certain she will be engrossed by it. It comes very neatly packed, has a fabric hook which makes it easy to attach to a cot or pram and baby can just look at herself through the mirror, make faces until she recognises herself. This will make her laugh I feel sure so its use will become self-perpetuating. A brilliant activity which in theroy should keep her occupied for some time. This is not like a rag-book of days gone by. The "pages" are sturdy and perfect for little fingers to grasp. Educational pictures of sheep and pigs. This is enchanting. Simply perfect.
on 28 June 2013
I think I fell for the hype of black and white books and toys in desperation to be a great mum. While the book is great especially the fact its soft and has a mirrored front, and has contrasting red, my little boy didn't look at it once.

I'd say save your money and instead let them gaze at the window, show them a mirror or turned off tv, or walk them around the house in to every corner so they can look at shadows...that's what kept my little boy entertained, now he's too old for these black and white books.

Product is lovely, shame I couldn't get my son to look at it!