5.0 out of 5 stars A Gruffalo, what's a Gruffalo?
The Gruffalo is one of the best children's book I have ever read!

I bought it when my eldest daughter was 18 months or so and she loved the rhyming and the pictures.

Published on 21 Nov. 2006 by S. Hearl

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong age group for the story - lovely illustrations
This story is written in a tight, intelligent structure with a satisfying ending. So why the 3 stars. Because this is not a book for a 3 year old. The ending is satisfying to older children and adults. Give me one average 3 year old who realizes that the animals are really afraid of the GRUFFALO, not the mouse. I've read this to many children and basically none have...
Published 15 days ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gruffalo, what's a Gruffalo?, 21 Nov. 2006
S. Hearl (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)
The Gruffalo is one of the best children's book I have ever read!

Now she is 5 she can read it alone and she now 'gets' the more adult bits of the books (like the fact that the Gruffalo thinks the animals are scared of the mouse, whilst they're actually scared of him!).

Just like the the Dr Seuss books, once you have read this a few times you will know it off by heart.

I don't know anyone who has this book and doesn't love it!

A true classic children's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why can't adult books be like this !., 8 Jan. 2004
Gareth (Cornwall, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)
I have read this book to my eldest daughter who is three time and time again. Not because she wants to hear it but I do !.
This is an superb book which combines humour with a few 'scary' parts which my kids love. The illustrations are bright and capture the imagination. Five out of five every time !. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good it's SCARY!, 23 Jun. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Gruffalo Big Book (Big Books) (Paperback)
"He has terrible tusks, and terrible claws, and terrible teeth in his terrible jaws... He has knobbily knees and turned-out toes, and a poisounous wart at the end of his nose. His eyes are orange, his tongue is black; He has purple prickles all over his back... He's the Gruffalo! Gruffalo! Gruffalo!"
Recently purchased this big book and its fantastic! Its won an award for being the best book to read aloud and it's not hard to see why! You can really go to town on the story telling front with animal and monster voices galore! Plus in this big book version there are some great activity ideas to use with groups of children. It is a great starting point to teach them about rhyme or make up their own imaginary monsters (but hopefully they won't turn out to be real like the Gruffalo!). It even includes a play script and song with sheet music! If you are interested check out the book and tape pack- the story is read in a lively exciting fashion by actress Imelda Staunton and the tape also includes the Gruffalo song and backing track! Great for a school assembly or show! Very topical at the moment with the recent sucess of "Monsters inc." A must have for infant teachers! The children will love this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - totally deserves it reputation, 1 Jun. 2004
A truly fantastic children's book.
A good story, told with good narrative drive. To cap it off, well illustrated as well.
All in all the best children's book we have read so far.
Look out for other books by the same authors: Room on the Broom, The Smartest Giant in Town.
They are very good as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, A MUST BUY, 13 Sept. 2008
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)

How many times must I have read this book to the 1-2 year olds in the nursery I work at 100 , 200 times.

I've found the 1 year olds, right up to 4 years old love this story.

This book is really easy to read with a flowing rhythm to the words and great rhymes. Repetitive for the children, which they love, but retaining interest for the reader too.

Its so good I've just gone out and brought this book plus The Gruffalo Child for my just turning 3 year old nephew, I think he will love it too.

I can't sing this book's praises enough

THIS IS A MUST BUY for children aged 2 or upwards

The Gruffalo's Child
Night Monkey, Day Monkey (Book & CD)
Nanny McPhee [2005]
Spot's Treasure Hunt: Lift-the-flap Picture Book (Spot)Baby Busy Books: Colourful Chameleon (Baby Busy Books)
Over The Hedge [2006]
Madagascar [2005]

5.0 out of 5 stars Could I love this book any more, 10 Nov. 2003
Miss L A Wilson (Middlesbrough, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo Big Book (Big Books) (Paperback)
As a student teacher I love this book not only for the fantastic language and imaginative story but the child in me loves it too. I have used this book many times within the classroom as well as sharing it on a personal level. It lends itself well to both situations with the children loving it as much as I do. I can imagine anyone could resist this book and if your ever stuck for literacy ideas its packed with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - a must have book, 18 Aug. 2000
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)
My 5 year old daughter & 3 year old son fight over whose turn it is to be read this book! I have recommended it to all their friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern classic (nice toy too), 25 Jan. 2005
Quite simply the best modern children's book.
A fantastic story about the adventures of a mouse in the deep dark wood. There is a terrific rhythm to the prose (poetry) (it is a joy to read aloud) together with very good use of repetition (A gruffalo, what's a gruffalo?). As usual Axel Scheffler's illustrations are excellent; complementing the story wonderfully.
The toy is very good - it has all the features referenced in the book - its eyes are orange, its tongue is black, it really does have purple prickles all over its back! - and my son (3) loves pointing out the features on the toy as we read the book.
Absolutely brilliant - unreservedly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars No teacher should be without a copy of 'The Gruffalo'., 9 Sept. 2001
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)
Having taught children from age 4 to 11, I have yet to encounter a child that doesn't love 'The Gruffalo'. The beautifully crafted rhythmical style is a dream to read aloud and a perfect vehicle for all fellow show-offs to practise their animal and monster voices!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Delightful, 9 Dec. 2004
J. H. Sweet - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo (Paperback)
What an incredible magical combination of author and artist, and what an outstanding set of books this collaboration has produced. The Gruffalo is an amazing tale that reminds me of many stories I read as a child: It has a wonderful combination of characters like The Little Red Hen, a sequence of events similar to The Old Woman and Her Pig, and the magical elements of many fairy tales. I believe Julia Donaldson is every bit as talented in creating rhyme as the great Dr. Seuss. The language has exceptional flow and makes this a fantastic read aloud book. Both children and adults will marvel at the ingenuity of our tiny hero on his journey, as well as his charm. The artwork is brilliant, and the story is superb. I recommend The Gruffalo for everyone who loves great stories and beautiful children's books.
J.H. Sweet, author of The Fairy Chronicles

The Gruffalo Big Book (Big Books)
The Gruffalo Big Book (Big Books) by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 11 Aug. 2000)