5.0 out of 5 stars Full insight of the basic concepts., 20 Sep 2005
Currently many people know how to 'use' Neural Networks, but very rare who know deeply what is going on behind. This is because they overlook the basic concepts at their first learning of a certain Neural Network. On the other hand, there are still not many books with the intention to build a firm understanding of the fundamental concepts. Instead of 'begin' with the basic, many books eagerly rammed down your brain with all the 'hoopla' of fast proliferation in Neural Networks community and leave you in preplexity (If you read Haykin's Comprehensive Foundations as your first reading aims at understand the basic, you will soon know what I mean). In such condition, how could you even be able to develop your own simple Neural Networks ?
Before you start get in deep with any kinds of Neural Networks widely used today (backpropagation, rbf, Hopfield, Boltzman Machine, probabilistic neural net, etc) you can try this book at first. After knowing the basic mechanism, you could savely learn from some advance books (or papers), and so far I think 'Introduction to Neural Computations by John Hertz et.al.' is still the best though a bit outdate.
This book give me a lucid presentation about the basic 'mechanism' behind Neural Networks.
After I read this book, I could only give it five stars :-).

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible Neural Networks!, 17 Sep 2005
This review is from: Neural Networks (Grassroots) (Paperback)
Completing a project-based course unit at the end of my degree, I needed a little clarification and elaboration on some topics. A word with my tutor led to the purchase of this book.
I cannot thank him enough! This book is cutting-edge material for final-year graduate and post-graduate study; it's also presented in a way which does not require the reader to have a degree in order to understand it.
I take my hat off to Professor Picton; this is a serious academic text which is also accessible to the newcomer; the kind of example which should be adopted by more academic authors. Excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear, well presented and practical, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Neural Networks (Grassroots) (Paperback)
It is early days yet and this review is provisional (hence only 4 stars so far), but early impressions are good, especially by comparison with Beale & Jackson's 'Neural Computing: An Introduction' which I got at the same time. I needed a basis for writing some Python algorithms for modelling land use change via a neaural network. This book is very clearly presented and covers the range of issues from basics to more advanced approaches. As I am looking at a 3-layer perceptron model, the treatment of this subject seems very adequate, with sufficient mathematics to explain fully the algorithms needed, especially with worked out simple examples. I like the clarity and layout of the book, which contrasts greatly with the poorly produced Beale and Jackson volume noted above. It is quite a slim book (195 pages), includes 3-4 questions and answers for each chapter which helps to self-test one's understanding. The maths is on my level, enough cookbook matrix algebra and calculus to allow practical application, but no deep theory or mind boggling proofs. Recommended if, like me, you need to work with a neural network system to solve practical problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent!, 23 July 2008
This review is from: Neural Networks (Grassroots) (Paperback)
This is the true "Idiot's guide" to Neural networks, very good introduction, examples that keep one interested and a lot of pointers to further reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for beginners, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Neural Networks (Grassroots) (Paperback)
This book is very well written and is very easy to understand.

I bought the book with the objective to learn enough of NN's so that I could build my own ones from scratch in any programming language. Did I achieve that? YES.

Why am I rating thiswith 5 starts? Because the ONLY defect this book has is that it doesn't cover a bit more complex aspects of the NN's, but that shouldn't still avoid you from getting this book. It explains very very weel what it promisses! I'm happy with it!

Neural Networks (Grassroots)
Neural Networks (Grassroots) by P.D. Picton (Paperback - 5 Oct 2000)