on 8 April 2001
Hamiltons consolidated his notes into the handbook with a degree of success - the information contained is to the point and explained a great many things that I was unclear of. Although this should be read after the Naked God however, as otherwise the book would be filled with spoilers.
I didnt give it five stars as it was a little dry in places and there was some repetition of information. Overall - a valuble aide to the triology.
on 6 June 2014
I read the first book in the trilogy with my head in a spin, trying to work out what a lot of the technology/characters/wildlife is or were or was etc etc. It never detracted from my enjoyment but this handbook helps no end. Also it's a help with remembering certain characters because these are BIG books.
on 26 February 2016
This book is well worth having in your library, it adds lots of little details to everything else that you get from the other books, ten out of ten from me.
on 19 February 2013
1st Edition bought as a Xmas present for my husband.
Condition was as said if not better (Hubby loves the book too!)
on 19 November 2015
my prefered science fiction writer and story as usual is intricate
on 22 October 2003
I only read the first volume of this trilogy and bought this handbook with it...and I still ask myself: why? It is pretty useless, because Mr. Hamilton explains everything about the planets in his novel already. And there are huge scientific flaws...why should the Confederation be dependent on Helium 3 as energy source? Of all the Helium in the cosmos, this isotope only makes 0.00014%...hardly an abundant substance. And there is complete nonsense on the astronomical side...Norfolk should be uninhabitable in a close binary system filled with asteroids, Lalonde's continents must be constantly flooded by the tidal forces of its three moons, and just how are the hundreds of asteroids in Earth's orbit kept in their trajectory? And how do bitek organisms survive the radiation in the gas giants radiation belts? And where does the food for the 38 billion humans on Earth come from if the surface is devastated? What really confirms my impression that Hamilton has no talent for character development is the short section about the leading characters...it tells us, well literally nothing about them. Like the whole trilogy, this is disappointing.