5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bedtme story
Published on 17 May 2006 by mum's the word

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
Okay book but I would not say it is one of her bests. My son doesn't really enjoy this book as much as The Gruffalo books and the Room on the Broom.
Published 16 months ago by The Grinch

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bedtme story, 17 May 2006
This is one of my 3 year olds favourite books. It tells the tale of a monkey who's lost his Mum and a butterfly who tries to help him but keeps taking him to the wrong animal. Written in Julia Donaldson's wonderful rhyme and beautifully illustrated it introduces young children to various descriptive terms to help butterfly identify the illusive Mum. Each time the young monkey meets the wrong animal he cries out "no, no, no that's an .... (elephant etc)" and my son loves calling out this line on each page. Not to give away the plot, but of course it has a happy ending and is a lovely note to say goodnight on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read for toddlers and preschoolers, 24 Oct 2004
joc66 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Monkey Puzzle (Paperback)
We've got all Julia Donaldson's brilliant books in our house, and this one is one of our favourites. The story is simple enough - a young monkey has lost his Mum, and a helpful butterfly tries to reunite them. However, it isn't as straightforward as it seems, and it takes quite a while before the butterfly finds the right parent. There are quite a few children's books about a baby trying to find their Mum or Dad, but this is the best one I've seen. It is clever, funny and great to read aloud with a great rhyming style throughout. The illustrations are really bright and enhance the story very well. We almost know this book off by heart we've read it that many times. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it !, 16 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Monkey Puzzle (Paperback)
Having read 'The Gruffalo' and loved it, we were then very pleased to discover this one which my children (ages 2-and-a-half and 5) adore just as much. (I think my eldest child rather likes being able to get away with calling Mum 'big and hairy' or 'slimy' etc!!!). A really enjoyable book and a favourite already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bedtime book, 17 Oct 2006
This review is from: Monkey Puzzle (Paperback)
My 2 year old adores this book. He loves yelling out the names of the animals on each page, and then listing them all at the end. Keeps him gripped everytime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 18 April 2006
This review is from: Monkey Puzzle (Paperback)
My oldest girl (now almost 3) absolutely loves this book and has done since she was able to understand the story. It has a beautiful rhythm to it, and a really lovely ending. It also encourages children to join in - "No no no, thats the ELEPHANT again!". It makes a really good bedtime story as it ends with a nice warm cuddle.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful illustrations and poetic story, 14 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Monkey Puzzle (Hardcover)
My 2 year old daughter loves this book and I never tire of reading it. Lovely pictures and a really sweet storyline. Big fan of these 2 authors

5.0 out of 5 stars Monkey magic, 2 Jan 2006
M. King "mattking9" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monkey Puzzle (Paperback)
This was the only book we took with us on our Christmas holiday for my 20-month-old: she asked for it every night for ten days (and most days as well).
I was initially worried that it would be too advanced for her, but somehow the verse has caught her imagination, and she now completes quite a few of the lines herself!
Not sure whether the Gruffalo will work equally well (she loves naming all the animals too), but will definitely give it a try now too. Whole-heartedly recommended to anyone buying for toddlers.
Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars More Excellence, 31 Aug 2005
DocBhoy (Invercargill , New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monkey Puzzle (Paperback)
Yet again , the authoring pair that brought us "The Gruffalo" and "The Smartest Giant.." have come up trumps .
An excellent read , with well metered rhyme and a fun underlying concept .
Recommended .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 4 Feb 2004
This review is from: Monkey Puzzle (Paperback)
A lovely big book for small hands. A story about a little monkey who's lost his mum, but with the help of a butterfly finds his dad who takes him home to mum.
Lovely colorful pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Me & my toddlers favourite book, 31 May 2007
Lucyp (Co Armagh, NI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monkey Puzzle (Paperback)
I bought this book based on the positive reviews l read and l agree its brilliant. My 2 year old wasn't showing much interest in bedtime stories but now l have to read him at least 3 or 4 stories every night. Within 2 days of reading this to him his favourite phrase became "no no no!" and he very quickly picked up on the story and shouts out the names of the animals when l'm reading. Also an added bonus is l get a cuddle at the end of it! Its lovely to read, never boring and the pictures are excellent. Going to buy the authors other books now.

Monkey Puzzle
Monkey Puzzle by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 11 Aug 2000)
3.85