4.9 out of 5 stars1,233
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 October 2010
The hard backed book provides great protection for delicate pages.

The elecronic noise pad provides a great further focus for children.

My nearly two year old loves this book and loves the noises!

I'd have prefered the noises for each to have tied better with the story.

For example, the footprints don't make footprint sounds and themouse doesn't make a mouse sound.

They could have tied the sounds with the animal sounds from the DVD of the Gruffalo (BUY THE DVDIF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE IT) just as they have done here with the frog picture (which gasps).

Having said that, my daughter sat and played with this for ages the first time and still loves it and she is the ultimate judge as to weather this is a great product. She found no fault at all.

Full marks!
on 7 January 2010
This collection is a must for all children who are beginning to move out of the baby level books and are looking for colourful visuals, rich language and using the imagination. Lots of discussion about the stories and pictures and the CD is invaluable for quiet time where the little ones can listen to the story and read through the book themselves to follow it, encouraging independent enjoyment. Highly recommended
on 13 January 2015
This story is written in a tight, intelligent structure with a satisfying ending. So why the 3 stars. Because this is not a book for a 3 year old. The ending is satisfying to older children and adults. Give me one average 3 year old who realizes that the animals are really afraid of the GRUFFALO, not the mouse. I've read this to many children and basically none have got the point. And by the time they do get the joke, they're too old for the book.

I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness on this, but there you go!

Kids like this book because of recognizing hiding animals and the Gruffalo, who is now a 'branded' preschool toy figure.

My kids have never liked this as much as other books - maybe yours won't either.
on 16 November 2006
A really exciting book loved by a range of different ages. I've used it in the classroom in Reception (4 years old) and in Year 4 (9 years old) and both sets of children loved it. The book is a really good example of rhyming words and has really good flow to it. The characters are bright and colourful. Just one of a series of excellent books from these authors.
on 6 September 2004
We have many childrens books but this is by far the best read. The kids love it, both 4yrs and 6yrs. Whats also good is the adults enjoy the read and do not fall asleep themselves like with other books. If you goto to Legoland in Windosor they get to see a Gruffalo in the Fairy Tale boat ride(well looks just like one anyway). Recommended to all to read.
on 2 July 2001
'A Gruffalo? What's a Gruffalo?' Take a stroll with the mouse through this book and you will find out exactly what a Gruffalo is, and what an unusual diet he exists on! This rhythmic and dynamic tale, with its surprising and very reassuring culmination contains much that younger readers will find irresistable. A 'monster' book which will definitely not lead to nightmares. I rate this book very highly indeed, not least because of the flawless patterning of text and story. Julia Donaldson's illustrations complement perfectly Axel Schleffer's engaging and amusing style. No under-five's bookshelf in the land should be without this one!
on 2 October 2005
With work, I regularly read to children of all ages and I haven't yet met a child who didn't love The Gruffalo. The illustrations really captivate the children as they listen wide eyed to the story of the little mouse who doesn't want to be eaten. Perfect use of rhyming repetition ensures the story flows with ease - a delight to read aloud.
on 10 February 2002
A friend bought this for our 4 year old son for Christmas, and he loves it. The combination of rhyme and repetition wtih an enchanting story and the taped narration really caught his imagination. By mid January he surprised us all by reciting the whole story to us from start to finish. I can't think of a better recommendation...
on 5 November 2003
If you only buy one book this year it ought to be this one! It deserves an extra star!
I cannot add more to the wonderful comments of the other reviewers. This book is a MUST HAVE. I have no idea how many times I have read my kids this book, but in all the times I have neaver heard "not again mummy". I have a copy in both German (mother tounge) and English for my kids. All my friend's and family's kids have recieved a copy. No child or adult should miss out on this jewel of a book. Bravo to the author/illustrator team.
on 11 April 2007
This was my son's favourite book from the age of 3. He is now 8 and it is still one of his favourites. This is destined to be an enduring classic. I don't know a single kid in his school that doesn't love it. And we still sing the rhyme on car journeys!