Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 April 2011
'Fruits' was our little toddler's first favourite book and still remains her favourite counting book. Unusually, it introduces an easy fraction, starting off with "half a paw paw" - the only counting book she has which does so. The engaging story follows a little girl helping herself to various Jamaican fruits throughout the day, while the adults are elsewhere occupied (though there are consequences at the end of the story!).

As well as helping with counting, this book is great for introducing fruit we don't normally come across in the UK, such as guavas, paw-paws, sweet sops; as a springboard for discussion about different places in the world; even for discussing fairness (there's a scene where fruit is inequitably shared with our heroine's little sister). The illustrations are simply stunning and there's a 'hide and seek' element to the pictures, which my little girl loves.

Reading it in my best Caribbean accent brings out the rhyme beautifully - but also derisory laughter from older (West Indian) family members! A book to enjoy again and again.
on 9 November 2009
I bought this book for 2 children last Christmas, and they still say thank you every time I speak to them. It's a fun read both for the child, and the adult reading with them. The granny of one of the little ones loves it as it gives her a chance to talk about back home.
on 12 May 2013
My daughter and I first discovered this book at our local library when she was 1. She loved the language and style of it - especially when read with my best Caribbean accent! It soon became a firm favourite and whenever we'd spot it she would have to take it out again until I got sick of being ordered to find it every other week and bought it on Amazon. Lovely illustrations and just a great book which I think we'll remember forever.
on 31 August 2011
I really like this book, it is funny, uses rhymes which gives a great flow when reading. For people who want a bit of culture for their child I would definitely recommend this book. It is very important for black children to see these types of images which are a reflection of themselves, it really can help them to be more secure in the future about their own identity. Top book :)
on 26 January 2016
Absolutely love this book! I found this a number of years ago at my local library & ordered it not long after. As a preschool teacher I found many of the children I read it to really enjoyed it, but not as much as I enjoyed reading it!
on 24 February 2016
Perfect storyline, a book for Black African/American that has sense and a good moral, not these peppa pig nonsense.
on 25 March 2016
My daughter loves this book before bed. A very funny story.
on 16 October 2015
Love this book, great story and lovely illustration.
on 17 September 2000
We found this book to be our daughter's favorite bedtime reading. A thoughtfull, well written and illustrated book, should be a classic for all children especially jamaican children. Highly recommended.