5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for all, 9 Nov 2009
This review is from: Fruits (Paperback)
I bought this book for 2 children last Christmas, and they still say thank you every time I speak to them. It's a fun read both for the child, and the adult reading with them. The granny of one of the little ones loves it as it gives her a chance to talk about back home.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little extra in a counting book, 13 April 2011
This review is from: Fruits (Paperback)
'Fruits' was our little toddler's first favourite book and still remains her favourite counting book. Unusually, it introduces an easy fraction, starting off with "half a paw paw" - the only counting book she has which does so. The engaging story follows a little girl helping herself to various Jamaican fruits throughout the day, while the adults are elsewhere occupied (though there are consequences at the end of the story!).

As well as helping with counting, this book is great for introducing fruit we don't normally come across in the UK, such as guavas, paw-paws, sweet sops; as a springboard for discussion about different places in the world; even for discussing fairness (there's a scene where fruit is inequitably shared with our heroine's little sister). The illustrations are simply stunning and there's a 'hide and seek' element to the pictures, which my little girl loves.

Reading it in my best Caribbean accent brings out the rhyme beautifully - but also derisory laughter from older (West Indian) family members! A book to enjoy again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Fruits (Paperback)
My daughter and I first discovered this book at our local library when she was 1. She loved the language and style of it - especially when read with my best Caribbean accent! It soon became a firm favourite and whenever we'd spot it she would have to take it out again until I got sick of being ordered to find it every other week and bought it on Amazon. Lovely illustrations and just a great book which I think we'll remember forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: Fruits (Paperback)
I really like this book, it is funny, uses rhymes which gives a great flow when reading. For people who want a bit of culture for their child I would definitely recommend this book. It is very important for black children to see these types of images which are a reflection of themselves, it really can help them to be more secure in the future about their own identity. Top book :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all Jamaican toddlers, 17 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Fruits (Hardcover)
We found this book to be our daughter's favorite bedtime reading. A thoughtfull, well written and illustrated book, should be a classic for all children especially jamaican children. Highly recommended.

Fruits
Fruits by Valerie Bloom (Paperback - 22 Aug 1997)
4.84