on 10 June 2009
As per the other reviewer this was bought for university. Clearly the author is an expert in his field and this is an excellent source of information for the course. However I found it extremely difficult to read in places and on the whole a pretty dull book.

If you are interested in the European reformation than this is definitely the book for you, if you're a student and this is a set book then its definitely for you and you wont be disappointed when it comes down to looking for information for essays. However if your on the fringes with only a glancing interest in this time period or the reformation I don't think you would enjoy this work at all.
on 7 December 2008
If you're studying the Open University course A200 1400-1900 (From Medieval to Modern) then this book is a set book and you'll need it to complete the course. You'll rely heavily on the book throughout the earlier modules of the course, and an understanding of Wallace's views on the reformation(s) will hold you in good stead for the course final examination.

If you're not studying the course, then I'd suggest that you've got to be very interested in the period in question for this to be a must-have purchase. Wallace is clearly an expert on the period in question, however it's not an easy read for anyone other than a historian.
on 8 January 2013
Essential reading for a course, but not a bad read in its own right either, if you are interested in the Reformation that is. My friend borrowed it and quite enjoyed it as she knew nothing about the Reformation anyway, so definitely one to try if you want to learn something.
This is a serious piece of academic writing and is not for the feint-hearted! I read it as part of an Open University course where it is one of the set books. It was hard going! However it is comprehensive and detailed so if you want to find out in detail about the Reformation this is the book for you.
VINE VOICEon 17 September 2013
I only bought this book because it was a set book for the course I was taking with the Open University. I didn't read it fully, I only delved into it where I had to, to find necessary answers to questions. Incidentally, I passed that particular course...
on 10 January 2012
A mandated book for OU Course A200 - Exploring History Medieval to Modern 1400 - 1900. Block 2 of the course uses this source throughout and, sadly due to lack of imagination by the block writers the student has to wade through pages and pages of this book - detail that is not required for one to gain a good pass mark. Very hard going and excruciatingly dull, DO NOT BUY THIS unless you are a student of the above module. I was and my copy went in the bin during revision as I opted out of answering related questions in the exam!!
on 7 July 2015
Brilliant, detailed,insightful account of what really happened during the Reformation.
on 11 December 2013
I read this as soon as I got it, before the course started. I found read as a book it was very readable. During the course I not only knew where the author was coming from, which many students never seemed aware of, I was able to understand the context. Many students who just dipped in and out as required by the course hated it. If only thay had read it through before the course started.
on 27 February 2014
Very good book. I bought it as part of an OU course I was studying. Very well written and informative.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2012
This is a very dry read but it is necessary as the set book for the A200 OU history course.