‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths made easy with Ken Stroud, 13 Sep 2006
Mr. M. A. Bowles "Scientist" (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I can only sing the praises of this book and recommend it to anyone undertaking mathematics as part of higher education: such as a degree or HND in Engineering. This book covered most areas of my first year undergraduate course in Engineering.

I went to university as a mature student from industry and soon found that I had gaps in my mathematical knowledge that needed filling pretty dam quickly. I also found that several students from the regular `A' level intake also had gaps depending on their background. These gaps were a function of such things as: the emphasis your school or college put on a topic, the exam board you sat and your final `A' level grade. After getting limited help from other students who also had "gaps" I concluded I needed to enroll onto a remedial course with hours to suit me! Luckily for me a former OND student who had suffered the same anguish recommended this book as a possible solution.

Ken Stroud has developed a book that really is a learning course that teaches you rather than lectures to you. Ken holds your hand, assumes you know very little and guides you through the mysteries of Engineering Mathematics. I knew some highflying students found his style patronizing but for those of us who needed that extra help we were happy.

Ken's format works by introducing a concept as simply as is practical and then asks you a few easy questions about what you have read. Ken shows you all the "short-cuts" you should be looking out for to keep things simple and then takes the technical content up a notch. As the level of complexity increases this is repeated to reinforce key areas. You are taken through plenty of worked specimens, step by step, detail by detail with "all the working" shown. In order to test you there are plenty of examples to go at and answers provided. Ken encourages you to maintain your own notebook of proofs and formulae for quick reference and this idea worked for me.

The beauty of this type of book is you can indulge whenever you wish and `teach yourself' free of the constraints of the lecture room. On the few occasions I got lost there was always a fellow Ken Stroud enthusiast or high-flyer to point me in the right direction. In my case I was a willing learner who wanted to put the hours in but needed a tutor at unsociable times-Ken Stroud hit the spot. Without exaggeration I think this book was a major contribution to getting me through my undergraduate first year Mathematics. As my competence and confidence grew I found myself making that transition to applying the techniques to Engineering subjects without being prompted.

The only disappointing part to the book was it didn't cover all of the second year topics. This was solved by the excellent follow up book Further Engineering Mathematics!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Engineering student's bible, 3 Oct 2009
Anthony R. Dixon (Malvern, Worcs Great Britain) - See all my reviews
If you're studying Maths, Engineering or Physics at degree level, this book and Stroud's Further Engineering Mathematics are all you will ever need. Those books got me through two degrees, and made Ken Stroud deservedly wealthy. 20 years later, I still feel I owe the man a debt of gratitude.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have maths textbook, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Engineering Mathematics (Paperback)
If you are interested in understanding engineering, you need to understand the mathematics that is associated with it. This series of books is perfect for self-teaching as the subject is given in modular form with plenty of examples and exercises.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good condation and good value for money, 25 Sep 2011
This review is from: Engineering Mathematics (Paperback)
the book came in a very good condation and on time. it took about a week to get me in ireland.
would recommend buy books from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Mathematics book ever, 30 May 2009
This review is from: Engineering Mathematics (Paperback)
This book is the best Mathematics book ever. It has clear & plentiful examples of questions using simple & difficult questions. This book deserves 6 stars & the author a medal for producing such a fantastic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book saved my life, 15 Oct 2000
This review is from: Engineering Mathematics (Paperback)
As the name suggests, this book covers the fundamental aspects of engineering maths. Unlike nearly every other maths text aimed at a similar level, this is well thought out and easy to follow. Each topic is clearly laid out in simple steps, with good "idiot proof" worked examples. These examples prove to be a god-send when it comes to revising for exams. This has to be the best 30 that I spent at university, second only to the 30 spent on "Further Eng. Mathematics" also by Stroud.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for engineering students and tutors alike!, 8 Jun 2013
Perfect book for the engineering student as well as any tutor of engineering mathematics. Modular exposition of different subjects, and logical sequence of topics - though any topic can also be studied independently. A must!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant, 2 Feb 2001
This review is from: Engineering Mathematics (Paperback)
One should follow such type of book for clear understanding . I very much prefer this book. The pattern in which the book is presented is excellant.Thanks for writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. I wish it had been out 20 years ago., 13 Jan 2001
This review is from: Engineering Mathematics (Paperback)
I gained a HNC in Mech.eng 20 years ago and found some of the maths hard to follow. I went back recently to first do a HND and then start a degree course. This was the maths book recommended and rightly so. It goes through the subjects step by step and makes the learning of it so much easier.Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is excellent, 6 Nov 2000
This review is from: Engineering Mathematics (Paperback)
I would not have passed without this book. The examples are all easily followed and the working is clearly laid out. Anyone who wants a book that explains everything you need to know without missing detail and clarity should buy this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Engineering Mathematics
Engineering Mathematics by K.A Stroud (Paperback - 1995)
Used & New from: 0.01