5.0 out of 5 stars Great Humour, 1 Feb 2001
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
I love William, he makes me ache with laughter and this book is no exception. Crompton writes with a wonderful irony and wit that hits the target every time. I do think these are better suited to older children and adults though as the language can be quite stylised and I think the humour can often miss its mark with smaller children. I expect they enjoy the adventures and slapstick side of things though. Lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read it!, 4 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
However old you are, pick up a William book and I guarantee you will enjoy it. I started reading them when I was around 10, and have read them sporadically ever since. The humour appeals to adults and children alike, and Richmal Crompton's delicate touch will leave you begging for more. You follow William from the 20s, through the war and beyond, he is there when tv is invented, he is there all through it, but he is always 11 years old. He and his mates never change and never lose the will to enjoy life and laugh at problems Comfort reading of the highest order, kids today with their Harry Potter and Playstations should not be kept away from excellent writing like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best childrens books ever written in my opinion, 9 Feb 2001
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
It has always amazed me that William books are not more widely read and appreciated than they are. I would rate them all as childrens classics of the best kind. A must read for anyone with a sense of humour and a real understanding of a child's mind

5.0 out of 5 stars Become a happier person thanks to William, 17 Nov 2006
Juan Campos Calvo Sotelo (España) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
I read this and many other William books as a child. I laughed with them and they gave me invaluable relief in my rather anxiety-ridden childhood. I read them again with the same effect as a young man. And again to my young daughter years later. As a psychotherapist I have recommended them to children and adult patients.

They are well written, very funny at many levels, from slapstick, to superb dialogues and delicious caricatures of adult nonsense and vulgarity. There is great wisdom in William's criticisms of school and family life. A lovable anarchistic human being, William is, in the sense of freedom loving.Don't miss them

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I wanted, 4 Aug 2013
Pamela Richardson "pamela r" (west midlands uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
A long time since I read these stories, but felt that it is now the time to introduce my granddaughter aged 10 into the mysteries of Just William and friends. A new fan is created!

5.0 out of 5 stars William the Tonic, 20 Sep 2014
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
I have all the William books, and I wouldnt part with any of them,they may to some people to be old fashioned ,but they are still read by many people both young and old,William as is was said in one of the books is a tonic,and they were right too he was certainly that ,there are thirty eight books the last one is also the shortest ,but its a good one too,they are not though thought of as classic childrens books by some but they should be because of the time they were set in,was both pre-war and the war itself,which would give the newer generations a good idea what it was like to live back then.......

5.0 out of 5 stars The Coolest Book Ever!, 6 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
I heard Just William being read on the radio when I was about 10, and instantly fell in love with him! The stories are funny, well written, and just great for general enjoyment. My brothers and sisters also love William!
I haven't read all the stories yet, though...! Only about another... 10 books to go... lolz.

Just William
Just William by Richmal Crompton (Paperback - 23 Mar 1990)
Used & New from: £0.01