on 14 April 2013
This book is amazing for the following reasons;
1. Like her sisters she writes so well.
2. The author's love for this house shows and she constantly mentions the skills of all the people who have helped her over the years in repair and preservation.
3. The author has restored a great house for her family, but also local people and the nation.Most people who inherit a Stately home would give up and give it to the National Trust (and then convert the stables or the gatekeeper's lodge for a family home). The Duchess seems to have decided to choose her favourite rooms and make them the family home within the stately home. That's thinking creatively and originally.I imagine that when visitors tour Chatsworth some doors are locked and marked "Private". I cannot imagine the Duchess putting up a sign saying "No Riff-Raff" except as a joke.
on 26 July 2012
I bought this book because I have connections with Chatsworth, and I have been privileged to meet the Dowager Duchess on many occasions. An excellent read.
on 18 April 2016
I was delighted with my purchase. I really wanted to read The House by Deborah Devonshire but didn't want to pay full price. The book I received was in good condition, arrived in good time and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'll order again as a result.
on 16 December 2014
book meet my expectation very pleased I bought it . Deborah Devonshire writes well I have other books from the author and the other Mitford sisters .
on 13 November 2014
Chrissie gift so don't yet know if going to be ok.