5.0 out of 5 stars An authority on (almost) all food British
Published on 31 Dec. 2012 by N. J. Buttery

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, but I don't like the Penguin edition folks
Published on 18 Dec. 2011 by Peasant

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, but I don't like the Penguin edition folks, 18 Dec. 2011
Peasant (Deepest England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: English Food (Paperback)
"English Food" is one of the classics, and anyone interested in regional and historic recipes will want a copy. Packed with ideas, rich in anecdote both ancient and modern, a treasure-house of good things, reading this book is like having a fascinating, amusing friend come and stay with you for a weekend. Not all the recipes are traditional; some are modern, coming from restauranteurs well known at the time Grigson was writing. The background notes are chatty and anecdotal rather than coherent and thorough; the recipes vary in quality, some making ones eyebrows shoot rapidly upwards in surprise. The reason why, dear lady, parsnips and courgettes have not previously been used together in English cooking is that the first are in season from October to March, and the second from May to September. Yes, we can buy them flown in from abroad, but is this what we want to do?

HOWEVER, delightful as Grigson's text is, the Penguin edition is infuriating. Not only is the print tiny and hard to read on very poor-quality paper, but there are other irritations; a pointless mixture of fonts, capital letters printed in white on black squares, useful footnotes condemned to EVEN SMALLER PRINT, production values that mean any attempt to get the book to lie flat results in pages detaching themselves - this I can do without. After owning the book for several years, I found I hadn't actually used it to cook from once, and realised it was because of these problems. I'll be trading it in for a vintage hardback.

To pay a relatively large sum for a book so poorly produced is galling. It didn't use to be the case. I still use another Penguin cookbook, Elizabeth Ayrton's The Cookery of England, which I bought in 1977; the pages are now shaded tan with age and there are plenty of gravy stains, but it remains easily readable and lies flat. I can strongly recommend it as a companion volume.

Other excellent books to chase up if this is your area of interest are the utterly ravishing Food In England: A complete guide to the food that makes us who we are, Marwood Yeatman's inspirng elegy The Last Food of England, and the less thorough but still stimulating A Taste of History: 10, 000 Years of Food in Britain.

5.0 out of 5 stars An authority on (almost) all food British, 31 Dec. 2012
This review is from: English Food (Paperback)
This is my all-time favourite cook book, in fact I have had to buy a second copy because my other has collapsed from overuse. This contains so many recipes from such a breadth of sources from the 14th century to present. It is also Jane Grigson's best writing - I think she can't be beaten. THere are a few omissions, but I don't mind that at all. You could go with Gary Rhodes' New British Classics, but the recipes are complex; most of the recipes are simple and traditional in English Food.

I love this book so much I am bloggging each and every recipe! See here: [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Jane Grigson's English Food Recipe Food, 14 Jun. 2011
Anne Lambert (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Food (Paperback)
Bought this book especially for the "Country Christmas Cake" recipe, sadly not included in this edition. Contains lots of other delicious recipes, however, the search goes on.....English Food

English Food
English Food by Jane Grigson (Hardcover - 7 Nov. 1974)
Used & New from: £4.69