4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent historical referance for all costume lovers.
Published on 30 Nov 2001 by Megan Stephens (wel5hdragon@ya...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I'd hoped
I was very excited to receive this book, but I've come to be disappointed with it, I feel like I now have it just to have large, drawn images of these costumes. It starts with an overview of patterns offered in magazines - too small to properly use unfortunately as they look more useful than the main patterns in the book.

Costumes are drawn from a few angles,...
Published 20 months ago by Caralynne Viljoen

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent historical referance for all costume lovers., 30 Nov 2001
This review is from: Patterns of Fashion 2 (Paperback)
This book and the others in the series are a compilation of line drawings and actual patterns taken from original costumes in museums. Janet goes into very particular detail, and the patterns can be used to recreate exactly the costumes. However, as they have been taken from real garments they are not sised in a modern way, therefore a good knowlege of dressmaking and the adjustment of patterns is needed. They can be used very successfully in conjunction with other books, for example Margot Hamilton Hill's 'the Evolution of Fashion', where modern sised patterns are given, so the style of Janet's dresses can be recreated with simpler patterns. A very good read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well documented, 27 Nov 2011
I bought the whole set (1,2 and 3) and it is a pleasure to go through them:
Every single one is well documented, with plenty of patterns of the periods, pictures and excellent illustrations.
I would recommend them to everyone who wants to start making costumes, or just discover more about historical fashion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I'd hoped, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Patterns of Fashion 2 (Paperback)

Costumes are drawn from a few angles, including what the inside of the bodice looks like and the waistband, which I do appreciate a lot and find very informative. However the information given on each costume is not enough for me, perhaps as an academic, but I think what I was looking for was real construction details. This is of course a pattern book, as the title states, but these costumes are radically different from what is worn today, there are a lot of details I felt were missing and sorely needed. Certainly tournures (bustles) weren't featured at all, which is pretty deceptive - someone trying to recreate the costumes detailed in the book would, after much work, find their efforts to not reproduce what is in the book. I'm myself struggling with supporting the weight of the fabric that's been raked up and there are no details in the book that show how seamstresses incorporated elements into the costumes so as to support the garment. There is very little in the way of balance marks or clear notes on how each pieces fits together to make the whole - which makes prior historical costuming and sewing knowledge very useful.

I feel this book is merely a pattern book of what you'd see looking at a costume, but that it does not give the whole garment. I feel this book is for the historically enriched user with access to much more information on costume and an experienced pattern cutter/drafter and sewer as well. I'm happy to have this book, but I feel that I may as well have stuck to the pattern cutting books I've found online for this period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to put down long enough to pick up the needle, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Patterns of Fashion 2 (Paperback)
A wonderful detailed book. Some of the costumes included are on public display whereas others are in personal collections. The construction notes are more than detailed enough for anyone wishing to make their own copy but beyond that it acts as a wonderful record for styles, fastenings and structures used for these beautiful gowns.

If you love historical fashion you will love Patterns of Fashion books. I have yet to make any of them fully but have used them time and time again for reference and inspiration.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reference material - beware of the patterns, 15 July 2003
This review is from: Patterns of Fashion 2 (Paperback)
This book is a great starting point if you want to make garments in the style of that period. However, the patterns -will- need resized and that is a time consuming and sometimes complicated process. This should not detract however from the generous amount of detail included in the book, which (if used alongside other source material) will help you create the look you're after.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this resource!!, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Patterns of Fashion 2 (Paperback)
please see my review for Ms Arnold's Patterns of Fashion 1 for a complete review. I have nothing but praise for this series and HIGHLY recommend it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 19th & 20th century clothes, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Patterns of Fashion 2 (Paperback)
I repeat the remarks I made for the 2 books above. All three are excellent. I only wish I had the money, time and energy to make all the costumes and conduct a mannequin show to show them off. I am going to a Southern Counties Costume Society AGM on Saturday, 1st March 2014 and I am looking forward to seeing the Eleanor of Teledo dress which I understand will be shown on a live model and a talk given by Sarah Bartlett. I am wondering if she used a Janet Arnold pattern or created it herself. I was fascinated with the 1920s dresses in this book. They must have looked quite stunning in the materials used. I am wondering if Janet has done anything on the 1960s?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Books, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Patterns of Fashion 2 (Paperback)
I first saw a copy of this series of books back in the early 1980's studying Theatre Design. They are a fantastic source of information about period styles and lines with examples of original patterns. Put together by a costume designer, I think they are a must have for people interested in costume and history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patterns of Fashion, 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: Patterns of Fashion 2 (Paperback)
I used this book to study for my degree and found it full of patterns that could be scaled up to whatever size required. Full of costume construction information. It became my bible for a period of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A much needed insight on the construction of period costumes., 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Patterns of Fashion 2 (Paperback)
A must for anyone diving into period costumes. Patterns can be messy at times but that's a given when even the small details are included.

Patterns of Fashion 2
Patterns of Fashion 2 by Janet Arnold (Paperback - 3 Dec 1982)