Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 April 2009
This must count as the definitive text for anyone who wishes to understand costume. The exquisite line drawings are followed by patterns for examples of womens dress for 200 years. I have made a copy of one of them and found the pattern pieces easy to size up and piece together, giving you a real insight into the thinking behind the fashion. For instance, the particular pattern I copied only fitted the individual figure in one small part, the back bodice lining. Everything else was tucked or pleated into shape, meaning that the gown was infinitely alterable and the expensive material was able to be re-used over and over again. This is not something that would be evident from merely looking at the dress. The only thing I think is missing from the book is some actual photographs of the garments, but I presume they are so fragile nowadays that this isn't possible.
on 2 February 2010
Purchase this if you are into costume-making, masquerade-dress-making or just interested in fashion history. There is no other. I have heard and read time and time again that almost everyone who makes costume for films consider this author a treasure and a guru.
on 17 October 1999
First, make sure you have the period you want - Janet Arnold has published books for 1660 to 1860 and 1860 to 1940. I have both. They are the best guides I have come across (having looked hard) to historical costume. The only possible improvement would be conversion to metric measurements (much easier when you try to scale the patterns up or down)but the patterns and construction details are incredibly useable.
on 28 February 2011
A lovely, well-researched book, that's deservedly become a classic. Like similar books it requires considerable dress-making experience to really understand how to fit everything together - this book won't teach you costume construction or dressmaking, but it will inspire you to go beyond what you already know. Essential for anyone interested in historical costume.
on 27 November 2011
I bought the whole set (1,2 and 3) and it is a pleasure to go through them:
Every single one is well documented, with plenty of patterns of the periods, pictures and excellent illustrations.
I would recommend them to everyone who wants to start making costumes, or just discover more about historical fashion.
on 31 March 2014
Janet Arnold was lucky enough to have seen the articles of clothing portrayed in these books, and to give us a first-hand glimpse in how they are constructed through her beautifully executed diagrams. She not only drew them as they were when worn, but opened them and gives us diagrams of the inside of the garments with the measurements and instructions in order to duplicate them perfectly.

I am not a costumer but a serious student of haute couture who uses the techniques and diagrams portrayed on a weekly basis and transfers them to my own designs. I cannot stress how invaluable this is as a resource for not only experienced seamstresses and students but also for people interested in seeing how clothes from past centuries were constructed, and how much a person's techniques can change through using this book. It is a super resource for period costumers as well, and also for cosplay seamstresses who can use the techniques for their own clothing.

An added bonus is the fact that Ms Arnold gives detailed information on the garments themselves, as well as their provenance -- this allows you to look up the garments themselves in the museums which hold them to appreciate their beauty.
on 23 July 2013
the best book for costume making that i read. I made several clothes using this book and its metods and i loved it. The paterns are in inch-scale but the book provides a very handy conversion system (last chapter) for the metric system.
i recommend this book to everyone who's interested in making period costumes!
on 3 January 2014
I first saw a copy of this series of books back in the early 1980's studying Theatre Design. They are a fantastic source of information about period styles and lines with examples of original patterns. Put together by a costume designer, I think they are a must have for people interested in costume and history.
on 24 February 2014
I first came across this book and Janet Arnold in the 1970s and how delighted I was to find it. During various moves it became lost much to my annoyance but due to the internet I was able to find it again and buy it. My remarks are the same for this book as for the previous one.
on 24 August 2014
Not as helpful as I wished but that's not the books fault..I would have liked a book that was just about the regency period, that would have suited me much better, but then I couldn't find one so helpful as this was that covered just that time