5.0 out of 5 stars Peter James 'Dead Simple'
Thoroughly enjoyed this addictive compulsively enjoyable page turner.
Criticism's of James' style and language pale through a well written, well crafted and highly recommendable thriller.
Am now off to read more, the best reccomendation
Published on 26 Mar 2012 by garcia

3.0 out of 5 stars Great page turner, americanised style
This is the first time I've read Peter James and picked it up after hearing it reviewed positively on Simon Mayo's show. It really is a page turner! The chapters are very to fairly short which makes it a great book for people like me who have a 25 minute train commute - you can usually time the finishing of the chapters just right for your stop.
The book...
Published on 13 Mar 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great page turner, americanised style, 13 Mar 2006
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
The book involves a stag night prank of burying a mate in a coffin. If if this seems somewhat unlikely, James does get away with explaining the history that leads to this event, making it plausible enough to stick with it. When the perpetrators are killed in a van crash our man is trapped in the coffin with only one person in the world knowing where he is; and that person has most to gain by him staying lost (trust me I give nothing away, we're only up to page 40 or 50 here!). Therein hangs the first of many twists; there are several, yet somehow they are nearly all credible within the confines of this tale. And speaking of confines, some of the coffin scenes really are claustrophobic to read.
The slight downsides then. As has been referenced elsewhere the author I believe has been a scriptwriter in the States and at times there is an americanisation to the story that grates ever so slightly, including the use of american type terminology that wouldn't naturally be used here. Stylistically it has more of an american feel than say a traditional English crime fiction feel about it. I don't say that this is bad, by the way, but just be aware that PD James it ain't (and that may well be a good thing for some of you)! The ending is also a little rushed and slightly patly contrived, but by then you've rattled along with the book at such a pace that you forgive this minor(ish) transgression.
In conclusion then, a page turner it most certainly is. I knocked this off in two days because I couldn't put the blooming thing down. If like me you have a busy life from which you need to be occasionally transported, released into a private world of high drama that goes at a rattling good pace, has plenty of twists and genuine 'oh my god!' moments, then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter James 'Dead Simple', 26 Mar 2012
Thoroughly enjoyed this addictive compulsively enjoyable page turner.
Am now off to read more, the best reccomendation

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
I came on the sixth and latest book in this series, by chance and was hooked. I decided to start at the begining and read all the other books in this series in order. I was not let down. This first book is every bit as fantastic. If you enjoy a first class, rapidly paced, well researched English police detective tale, with a bit of a contiuing back story on the main police characters, this one is for you. I'm determined to find some time to read the others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead Simple, 18 Jan 2007
F. Clancy (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
I bought this book specifically for holiday and am glad i did - although it gripped me very early on and i read it in no time at all. I found the plot very good and didnt guess the "bad guy" at all which for me is quite unusual and very enjoyable. I would defintely recommend it and am now trying to decide which Peter James book to read next!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Dead Simple" is fast and thrilling a real rollercoaster of a book, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Dead Simple (Hardcover)
I started reading the novels of Peter James last year and found that just by the down-to-earth well written stories with the confident understanding of characters, he has taken me at times to such a state of suspense that I just couldn't stop reading them, it is no wonder that he has become one of Britain's best-loved crime writers.

All his stories are located in Brighton, just an hour's train ride from London, and over the sequence of his novels, Peter James is establishing himself to be as skilful a story-weaver as G. K. Chesterton, Agatha Christie, and Elmore Leonard.

His central character is the resolute police officer Roy Grace who I find to be quite unorthodox and a very likeable character.

It took me just one day to read this book; I just could not put it down it was so gripping and the fact that the story is set in and around Brighton made it that little bit more special British if you like.

"Dead Simple" is fast and thrilling a real rollercoaster of a book full of twists and turns sometimes a bit mind-boggling but the story has hold of you right up to the end.

You can tell that Peter James has researched his subjects well and I got the feeling that he has spent some time with members of the Sussex police force it would be interesting to see if he has based the character of Roy Grace on a few of that police force?

If you haven't already discovered the thrill of reading the Roy Grace series, this is a list of the order:
Dead Simple (2005)
Looking Good Dead (2006)
Not Dead Enough (2007)
Dead Man's Footsteps (2008)
Dead Tomorrow (2009)
Dead Like You (2010).
While it's not essential to read them in sequence, it does mean you can follow the development of Grace's personal story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Superb!, 16 July 2007
Angel (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
Excellent book - gripping from the first chapter - a definite must-read. I could not put the book down and after reading it in a day and a bit, I then went on to order and read the rest of the books he has written - all equally intriguing and gripping in their own way - Looking Good Dead is another superb book!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Can I bear to finish it?, 16 Feb 2012
M. Schollum (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I will start by saying that up to Dead Simple, I have thoroughly enjoyed Peter James's books - going so far as to have read 7 in the last 9 months. I have particularly enjoyed the Roy Grace series although I have unintentionally read them out of sequence.

So I was excited at starting Dead Simple. But halfway through I am wondering whether to even continue. To me, there are so many implausible aspects to the basic story that this is totally distracting me from enjoying the book. I accept that I may be wrong, because PJ clearly researches his topics very well, but I will highlight just a few of the things that bother me. I hope this doesn't spoil the story for anyone but, given that the book is not a new release, I am assuming that most people reading this review will have already read the book and are curious to see what others thought.

(1) The breathing tube and hole in the coffin are only the thickness of a drinking straw. How could this possibly not only provide enough air for all the days Michael is underground, but also combat the effects of his breathed out carbon dioxide?
(2) The grave was 6 feet deep, and the friends heaped 2 feet of earth onto it before covering the hole with corrugated iron - if we count a foot or so for the coffin this left about a 3 foot 'space' of air in the grave with no ability for fresh air to enter. How long, realistically, would that small amount of air lasted?
(3) It was 2 days before the police started to take the 'missing person' report seriously. Yet here we have 5 friends out on a stag night, going from pub to pub, 4 of them end up dead in a fatal smash and the groom is missing. I can't believe the police would have just searched the area around the crash and then thought, oh well, maybe he had had second thoughts about getting married and had done a 'runner'. At the very least, the story would have made headlines - you can imagine the Daily Mail etc making a big thing of 4 young guys killed while on a stag night and the groom now missing. I can bet they would be speculating that he was in some dire predicament - tied to a tree somewhere, maybe, waiting hopelessly for his friends to return.
(4) Once Roy Grace does take the matter seriously, and considers that Michael might be buried alive somewhere, there is still no urgency. He and Glenn Branson have their meals, go home to sleep, etc - wouldn't massive resources be committed to this type of situation (especially if the press was breathing down their necks)?
(5) Mark erases all mention of the stag night from his computer and phone, but all the dead friends would have had those same messages on their phones and computers. Once the police started to look for Michael they would surely have checked those? I would have expected the friends to have their mobiles on them (the groom had his), so wouldn't it have been basic police work to check them when investigating the fatal crash?

You get the gist. Maybe Peter James manages to resolve some of the above as the story goes on but I doubt it. I'll probably just skim read the rest, as I am too frustrated with the book to spend much more time on it. I'm not completely put off reading others, because up to now, I have really enjoyed this series. However, I can't pretend that Dead Simple hasn't been a disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter drivel, 7 April 2012
The characters are shallow, the plot daft and the way he talks about women you would assume the author had never met one. I felt as if my brains were dissolving into a puddle of gender cliches. Please don't bother with this book if you have any self respect.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather too dead simple, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Dead Simple (Ds Roy Grace 1) (Paperback)
The story opens with a great maguffin - a stagnight prank gone wrong (or perhaps not so wrong), and the novel develops into a page-turning thriller which will entertain. There is plenty of suspense, and the plot twists and turns excitingly. But when revealed, the eventual villain and motive are pedestrian, and the narrative is reduced more than once to double-takes (e.g. a repeated car-chase). Nor, for the life of me, can I remember Roy Grace.

5.0 out of 5 stars excelllent......, 26 April 2012
i found peter james by chance....so pleased i did....ive now read 6 of his books...absolutely brilliant in my opinion...enjoyed them all

Dead Simple (Ds Roy Grace 1)
Dead Simple (Ds Roy Grace 1) by Peter James (Paperback - 7 Oct 2011)
Used & New from: 0.01