5.0 out of 5 stars Not Dead Enough
Published on 12 Jun 2007 by Ray Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead predictable...
Published on 5 Sep 2011 by Nicola F (Nic)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Dead Enough, 12 Jun 2007
This review is from: Not Dead Enough (Hardcover)
Not Dead Enough is the third outing for Peter James' troubled detective, Roy Grace. In a complex plot, Grace's sanity is not only threatened with three murders, one suspect and little in the way of evidence, but the fact that he is still coming to terms with a wife who walked out on him nine years previous and has never been seen until ... possibly ... now, in a remote corner of Germany: add to that, a threat on the life of police mortician Cleo Morey, Grace's new girlfriend, and you have the trappings of a very tense and sophisticated novel, which, in the hands of a master story-teller like Peter James, offers you a very compelling read, full of plot twists and turns that come so thick and fast you barely have time to draw breath before the author gives you something else to think about. In the style of Dead Simple and Looking Good Dead, the book races towards an unexpected and chilling outcome, with well defined, 3D characters, something that has always been a trademark of James as readers of his previous novels like Denial and Faith will remember. Not Dead Enough comes very highly recommended: the only crime any reader would be guilty of is not rushing out and buying a copy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead predictable..., 5 Sep 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Not Dead Enough (Paperback)
Maybe I've watched too many Hollywood films, but I sensed what was going to happen in this storyline from about page 30, which was such a shame as I've really enjoyed the other two Peter James books before this and I'm a relative newcomer to them. As far as thrillers go, his writing is consistent and fast-paced with great twists and turns in the plot and a continuing back story to his character of Detective Roy Grace which has really intrigued me. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy this book, because I did. I'm just saying that regrettably, it was a bit more predictable than his first two and that did diminish my enjoyment of the story somewhat.

This book sees the slaying of a local Brighton socialite whose husband becomes the immediate suspect. The only problem is, he was miles away at the time and has an alibi. Detective Grace digs deep and begins to uncover some murky secrets about the family as his private life faces problems of its own.

What I really did enjoy about this book was the attention to detail the author places in the story, particularly with his rather gruesome depictions of autopsies and whatnot which is very vivid. The nature of the crimes is also quite gory in parts so I would say that if you are squeamish then approach these novels with caution because they go a bit heavy on the bloody details. James also excels in setting a scene- I have never been to Brighton but feel that I could recognise some of his settings used should I ever visit there in future. He certainly doesn't shy away from revealing the seedier aspects of the small coastal town.

There is also the side story of Roy's missing wife which was began in book one and this story goes off at a bit of a random tangent taking him to Munich following a possible sighting of her, which just felt too contrived and not followed through enough, much to my disappointment as this was what had kept me reading in the first place. I'm hoping that this is built upon and elaborated on more concisely in the next few books; otherwise I may lose interest in it. This story also lost a bit of the `supernatural/psychic' thread that was developed in earlier books as well- Grace doesn't go and visit any séances this time round!

I have to say that all in all, the plot becomes overly complicated in parts with too many interlocking stories and the final little twist that James throws in towards the end was just a bit irritating and probably wasn't needed- it was merely a device to throw the reader further and tries to create suspense that was sorely lacking throughout the rest of the book. Nevertheless, the back story to Roy's wife and his growing relationship with pathologist Cleo, kept me reading this book and renewed my interest in Grace as a character- without that I may have given up entirely. I have book four in this series waiting to be read and I am really hoping that it is a much stronger read than this one. I also hope that these books are not becoming formulaic and predictable as that would be such a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Dead Enough, 13 Feb 2013
Excellent and absorbing, a few twists and turns that keep the reader fully entertained. I have found that reading the books in order certainly helps to understand the one or two themes that are applicable to the main characters personal and professional life.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes crime novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Long Enough!, 8 Jun 2007
This review is from: Not Dead Enough (Hardcover)
I just finished NDE. What a book! I had to put my life on hold for 4 days to finish it! I haven't done anything for 4 evenings except read this novel. I really couldn't put it down.

As always, it had everything I look for a PJ novel: detailed research; brilliantly developed characters; pace; smooth, flowing writing; sparkling dialogue; and an interesting, engaging plot. But of course it's more than the sum of these factors that make me addicted to James' books. It's the X factor that so many lack. I noticed it for the first time when I read Dreamer all those years ago. I don't really think it would matter what type of novel the author penned, in whatever genre. It would still grip me. It's the STYLE, man...

This is crime writing at its very best. As other reviewers have pointd out, James is never one to stint on trivial but important details. For instance, I loved reading about Grace's trip to Munich. Reminded me of my own visit a few years ago, though under rather different weather conditions (i.e. freezing cold). He could have just described the visit in a short chapter, but the details and descriptions of settings and people made it really come to life. The same thing applies to all the little details he puts into his books - character traits and faults that make people human. Their ambitions and shortcomings. I esp. love the fact that he's always willing to surprise the reader and that there are no easy answers or solutions; and few coincidences. The people in a PJ story have human failings and don't always get things right. Grace is a pretty average, intelligent bloke, and all the more likeable for it. I also love the Branson and Potting characters. I hope they're going to be around in future Grace novels. Great team spirit and camaraderie in this particular police force!

There's a particular kind of character that James has always written about - you recognise them straightaway. Brian Bishop is one such character: confident, wealthy, a touch arrogant, assured etc. However, in NDE he proves that he can deal with some truly memorable low-lifes too. Witness the fascinating Skunk, someone who we follow for a good part of the book and end up feeling sorry for when ... well, that would be giving it away, wouldn't it?

This is likely to be one of the best novels of 2007, at least in my opinion. It deserves to sell by the bucket-load. Here's till the next Grace novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Dead Enough, 24 July 2007
G. Webb "1gabriella" (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Not Dead Enough (Hardcover)
I enjoyed the first two Roy Grace thrillers immensely and found them difficult pull myself away from. The third is even better. The writing style is much tighter and, consequently, the suspense a notch or two higher.

Attention to detail and the nature of obsession seem to be very close to the author. The whole series is highly recommended but don't buy just one - it won't last very long.

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable as an airplane book., 2 Mar 2008
frumiousb "frumiousb" (Amsterdam, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Not Dead Enough (Paperback)
Like many readers, I first knew Peter James from his horror novels. I have been reading these Roy Grace detective novels with some interest, although I have to say that I still find myself missing something in his work.

Not Dead Enough spins a tale about a man who is a seemingly obvious murder suspect, if it only were not for the fact that it required him to to be in two places at the same time. The themes of the day are obsession and revenge. It kept me reading, I will give it that much. I do have to say that had I not been on an airplane, the overly complicated plot would most likely have struck me as rather tiresome.

The quality of the writing is good, and I like Roy Grace as a character. I plan to give James the benefit of the doubt and see if I can find something in the series than I like better than Not Dead Enough.

Not bad though, as airplane reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 26 Sep 2014
Book 3, in Detective Superintendent Roy Grace Series

This is a perfect holiday read and certainly a pager-turner. Although early on into the mystery it is quite easy for any experienced crime fiction reader to pin point the few flaws and to figure out what is going on from the get-go. With this said we still have a plot above the run of the mill standard, one that offers plenty of thrills and spills, intense police procedural, colourful local details, sympathetic main characters, a memorable sidekick, an assortment of creepy miscreants, and the obligatory love interest.

This densely woven tale raised Mr. James’ game in terms of style and pacing with three murders to solve, one suspect and absolutely no leads. Once started this drama is an all-nighter… be warned …this is a long novel taking its time before it fairly rocketed along but I assure it doesn't take many pages before being pulled into a complex plot that draws its strands from all parts of Brighton society.

It begins with the murder of Katie Bishop. The prime suspect is her husband Brian, but Brian has a solid alibi. When shortly after Sophie Harrington, Brian’s love interest is killed. Brian’s every move is under the magnifying glass. The chase for the truth is on and makes for one very exciting and captivating read…it doesn't stop there another body is found….and many more twists comes our way…Roy is sure by now that Brian is the murderer…..but of course why stop there Mr. James knows how to dramatize every step and he does that with expertise.
We have a side bar that brings Roy looking for his missing wife in Munich and of course this to the chagrin of the delectable Cleo, Roy’s love interest…..a bit of piquant is in order here….

“Not Dead Enough” is very captivating from start to finish. I would recommend following this series in sequence to understand better the progression in the main characters’ lives. I loved this one and I will be looking forward to its sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW FAVORITE AUTHOR!, 14 Jun 2007
Ann Spencer (Carmel, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Not Dead Enough (Hardcover)
I had become very tired of the same old thrillers so have been trying some new authors (at least for me). Well this one did not disappoint! Not Dead Enough is a well crafted thriller with great characters and skillful plotting. No run of the mill stuff here. Once I started this gem I could not put the bloody thing down! It was that good. Now I am going back to read the first two books by James. This just shows that it pays to try something new!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth about Not dead enough, 22 Jun 2007
Robert P. Splaine "mrbobsltd" (pattaya) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Not Dead Enough (Hardcover)
Since Peter James came to light (in my mind with Dead Simple), l started reading his books.
I waited for the following 2, and as time grew Grace got better. he was a human, some authors create the most horrible leads, and it puts you off the book. After Not dead enough, l decided to start checking his back catalouge out.
No wonder Mr James writes with such ease, his older work, is to put it simply outstaning. I have just finished the Truth, and the tension so was great l actualy had to put my book down. Buy it and be amazed.
Now about Not Dead Enough.
You know inside Grace knows it might not be this guy, but he cant prove it, and he explores all avenues. In my mind l was sreaming at him, telling him what to do.
No wonder this book has been in the top sellers for the past 8 months (since its release).
Brilliant, if you liked his other work, you will adore this title. Treat yourself at the airport, and read it on the plane...thats the life.

This year seems to be bringing out some brilliant books, and this one falls in that category.
So Mr James....Please sir, Can l have more?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth abour Not dead enough, 29 Jan 2008
Robert P. Splaine "mrbobsltd" (pattaya) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Not Dead Enough (Paperback)
Now about Not Dead Enough.

So Mr James....Please sir, Can l have more?

Not Dead Enough (Ds Roy Grace 3)
Not Dead Enough (Ds Roy Grace 3) by Peter James (Paperback - 7 Oct 2011)
Usually dispatched within 2 to 4 weeks