on 10 February 2015
Great book, gripping story to the very end. Was hard to put down. Credible realistic characters, very well written without wasting time on un-necessary padding.
on 9 June 2014
Fabulous read! Will keep you on the edge of your seat till the very end. Totally gripping - you won't be able to put this down. Peter James didn't disappoint.
on 30 October 2013
another gripping book with a chilling tale of things that can happen on the internet. Well written and I enjoy the continuing story about the policeman as well.
on 21 March 2013
I'm a real Roy Grace fan and this is another fantastic story. Well written just like all the other books, great story and a book that can be read over and over.
on 17 March 2007
I didn't know bestselling fiction could be this bad. I picked it up in an airline departure lounge and it was my only entertainment on a (very) long-haul flight.

The plot? After a murder on page 20 (sexy young woman, naturally), nothing happens for another 200 pages. All we get is police procedural (the writer credits 22 police and coroners advising him, but no editor. Hmmm), the life story of a commuter and a travelogue of the Brighton area. That might be fine, if any of it was interesting, or well written. But it's not. Some of the sentences are jaw-droppingly dull and pointless. If a character parks outside a shop, we learn whereabouts in Brighton, the history of the area, any nearby schools, what cars he is parking between, the back story of the shop assistant, the shopping list, and whether he pays by cash or card. I'm not kidding; it's really that dull. Perhaps the writer is filling these pages with detail because he has nothing else to say but 400 pages to fill, perhaps he writes a set 6,000 words per day (Jeffrey Archer style) but can't be bothered to go over it the next day and take the duff ones out. Who knows, but publishers MacMillan should be ashamed of themselves to have so little quality control.

The characters are cliches - troubled detective, cool black guy, struggling businessman, un-PC old timers, plucky WPCs, nerdy computer geeks, swarthy Albanians, fat Americans - and every time we return to a character the writer feels the need to remind us of their foibles, however uninteresting they were the first time round. Every time.

The lead character, Roy Grace, is plodding, worthy and tediously politically correct in the way that a middle-aged writer living in Sussex might be. The author clearly doesn't like Tony Blair. That's alright, neither do lots of people, but why does he feel the need to keep on having our hero whining about government policy every time he passes an open newspaper, apropos of nothing in the story? For a book not really about paedophiles, the author insists on telling us how sick Roy Grace finds them. Well, durr, we know that, but can we get back to the plot?

The writer clearly hopes to extend the series, so characters from previous books pop up, tell us their back story, do nothing, then clear off again while the reader scratches his head and wonders; "why am I reading this tripe and will this flight ever end?"

The author only gets excited when he gets to a spectacularly nasty snuff-movie murder (don't worry readers, it's only a paedo so we can all enjoy it).

The end just sort of happens, the police closing in after a couple of unbelievably lucky coincidences. Here the laziness of the writing really shows. Even the 4-star reviewers here admit that the end is rubbish. Suddenly it turns out the villains have a helicopter on their roof. As you do. Cue fireball. You get the picture...

How to sum up the awfulness of this book? If Alan Partridge sat down to write a potboiler; this is what he would have come up with. Avoid.
on 29 September 2015
A good story that kept me turning the pages, but the murders are getting a bit too nasty for me. People who like nice murders should read this in the daytime!
on 30 May 2015
Well written novel and Roy Grace is developed as a character and detective, but the violence of the story is unreal and I shall not read anymore in the series.
on 17 July 2014
I've read most of Peter James' novels. I've found that his characters follow certain characteristics except that he uses new names from one title to the next!
on 8 October 2014
this is the first Peter James book I have read and am looking forward to reading the rest of his books, Roy Grace 1 next! good to read an English based book.
on 31 August 2015
First rate page turner. Excellent characterisation, not intrusive into the story and a really gripping tale. I will be reading all the Roy Grace novels now!