4.0 out of 5 stars An odd book
To be honest this is a really difficult book to review. There are both some truly wonderful and totally awful parts to it. Lets start with the good:the images that Nevill creates are fantastically disturbing and dark. The best parts are the descriptions of the contents of the twisted house which really leap out of the page and stay with you long after the boook is closed...
Published 8 months ago by Snowflakes

2.0 out of 5 stars A let down
I bought this book having read all of the authors previous novels. They were excellent, especially 'The Ritual', which is one of the best horror novels i have ever read. I bought the latest with great expectations but was disappointed. I just found the whole thing disjointed and confusing with gaping holes in the narrative, i was so disappointed. Maybe its just that i was...
Published 9 months ago by Mr B

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 11 Jun 2014
I bought this book having downloaded the sample from Kindle.

I was a bit disappointed. The book did seem to ramble a little and I found it hard to pin it down - maybe it left too much to the imagination for me - never quite sure where it was going - was it a supernatural tale or was it a mystery story which was going to be resolved at the end?

It does successfully evoke a very unnerving and unsettling atmosphere and it was in part the very unusual scenario it creates in the house with the animals that hooked me in. However the female protagonist became a little tiresome (I like to have some sympathy for the main character) and I did not feel her back story worked in as well as it could have done.

Very much a book that stands or falls by your own particular tastes in reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good very english, 20 May 2014
This review is from: House of Small Shadows (Paperback)
Reminded me of the whicker man and also has eerie slightly dream like sequences ....I thoroughly enjoyed it and remain a big fan...if I had a criticsm and this is bring very critical I would say it was more weird than scary but that is the counsel of perfection ...thoroughly enjoyed it and cannot wait for his next novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to my horror collection., 14 May 2014
This review is from: House of Small Shadows (Paperback)
As a fan of Adam Nevill already, I started this with high expectations and wasn't disappointed. I thought that perhaps I was becoming desensitized to horror fiction, but this story gave me chills numerous times and has stayed with me even after finishing it. This is an original, truly unsettling book that fascinated and scared me throughout.

I've recommended his previous novels to friends and family, and will definitely be doing the same with this one too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shudder!, 13 May 2014
This review is from: House of Small Shadows (Paperback)
Disturbing, Dark and wonderfully atmospheric! I just can't get enough of Adam Nevill! Again, just wonderful imagery, great description, creepy, creepy, creepy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars As Usual, Nevill fluffs the landing..., 12 May 2014
DR Burden "Horatio" (northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
I like Adam Nevill. I really do. He can write, to call him Britain's answer to Stephen King is both accurate and ludicrous in equal measure, because the ability to illicit fear in the reader is there in spades, but unlike King, Nevill's characters never feel like real people. They're always characters going from A to B.

And the thing I have noticed, from reading all of his work, is that he struggles with endings. Last Days and The Ritual were perfect examples, The Ritual especially, of pure terror on the page, but towards the end, you just stop caring and there are sequences that should excite and horrify, but they merely drag until you reach the final page.

With this book however, there is a more complete ending, which is definitely progress, but in that is a weak and weird ending that makes sense in the story, but doesn't really pay off for the lead character in the way it should, or indeed for the reader. So this time around, everything feels more complete, and the ending isn't as drawn out, but unfortunately I think maybe it should have.

There are a few chapters in which this book is genuinely disturbing and Nevill is a master at world building, it's as if you can reach out and touch the Red House, smell the smells of chemicals in Mason's doll making room. The prose is alive, sadly, the story never quite reaches the same heights.

I will continue reading his work, because this is a unique and talented voice in horror, British horror too, I just hope that one day I pick up an Adam Nevill novel and it really blows me away.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 23 Feb 2014
Richard A. Brocklebank "Plumb" (Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
I did enjoy this book, however I did find the second half of the book not as thrilling. It reminded me somehow of an old Hammer House of Horror movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and very creepy, 21 Feb 2014
Mr. Sw Hammond "JaggedEye" (Hereford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House of Small Shadows (Paperback)
Adam Nevill returns with another original and fantastic book.
Over the years I've read and watched a lot of horror but I found this to be truly different to anything else and I applaud Adam for this.
The book takes a unpredictable journey that keeps you engrossed and always on edge.
I really enjoyed this book and absolutely loved the ending, I've seen and read far too many badly written horror endings but the ending to House of Small Shadows enriched the book and made me think about the journey taken.
Adam's other books are some of my favorite of all time and this is a great edition to sit alongside his other works, I thoroughly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars A very English horror story, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: House of Small Shadows (Paperback)
Adam Neville always delivers with his unsettling novels and his latest, House of Small Shadows does not disappoint.

The Red House with its isolated setting and its various disturbing inhabitants is pure Gothic with a dash of Victorian grotesque - dark, dense, and filled with malice and memories and worse.

The central character has a governess from The Turn of the Screw vulnerability/instability and is very soon out of her depth mentally and emotionally. Into this claustrophobic mix the author has woven a true English story; a ruined village celebrating an unspeakable ancient tradition, creepy dolls, stuffed animals, whispered warnings from a sinister housekeeper...

The writing is lyrical…beautiful and the set pieces have a dreamlike weirdness that drips with menace that caused this reader more than a few eye watering moments of fear.

I was truly relieved to finish this novel ...for all the right reasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally creepy, 7 Feb 2014
Exceptionally creepy. Kept me hooked right until the end. Adam Nevill has quickly become my favourite horror writer. Can't wait for his new book!

5.0 out of 5 stars really really good read, 20 Nov 2013
This book was scary but really well written. I couldn't put it down. If you like ghost stories this is one of the best I've read.

House of Small Shadows
House of Small Shadows by Adam Nevill (Paperback - 10 Oct 2013)
5.59