Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 June 2012
This book scared me thoroughly. I had to hum cheerful tunes before I went to bed and practically had to sleep with the light on. After that I tried to only read it during daylight hours.

A terrifying read for lovers of supernatural horror. It's refreshing to find a writer of stories as terrifying as this that isn't American, as it gives it something different. Finally, this side of the pond has produced someone that we can compare favourably with Stephen King.

I'm looking forward to his next already. I've no doubt I'll devour it. :)
on 14 February 2016
Intriguing, horrifying, un-put-downable.
on 21 June 2015
While I didn't quite take to the author's style, I loved the clever premise behind the story and the skillful ramping up of tension. The scary parts were brilliant.
on 14 January 2014
An amazing story!! Very gripping and very creepy!! The only downside to this was it was a little long winded at times but apart from that a brilliant story!
on 13 February 2014
Obviously touted as such by a lazy and desperate PR department. No way do this author's books even touch the worst product of The Master's coke-and-booze addled period.

I bought this remaindered in The Pound Shop then realised I had read the author's Apartment 16 and not enjoyed it-in fact it was a slog to get through his over florid descriptive paragraphs.

I gave this a go though, and it wasn't that bad-but there were several points that really tumbled it down the rankings-

First, why does the deus ex machina mysterious millionaire keep telling the main character is the only one who can do the job and that he will find out the reasons? This plot point goes nowhere-it just drops to one side without any resolution. I thought the protagonist was going to prove to have a link with the cultists, but no the whole plot point builds and then never goes anywhere.

Secondly, why does the second lead just drop out presumably 'vanished' towards the end, then we get a third person intervention telling us he has survived but then plays no further point in the story. Were we supposed to be upset at his presumed demise?

Third, why did the Finger Mouse character never suffer from any of the footage he saw, as everyone else connected was directly threatened by the paranormal characters?

Fourth, how in the hell did the downstairs neighbour looking after the protagonist's cat not hear him running, screaming, throwing furniture about, and finally flinging himself out of a window after fighting with one intruder, without her WAKING UP?!

Fifth, what happened to the cat?

Sixth-it introduces a new character mere pages from the end who we are supposed to root for, and care when he dies horribly-why not have just kept the second lead? The same thing happens to the other moviemaker-introduced and then dropped. Bad bad plotting!

Seventh-(and I realise I'm going on a bit here but this stuff is BUGGING me) the big bad turns out to be a non speaking character dying in bed after all that? It took me all that reading to get to THIS?

My final observation, the author cannot write a satisfying climax-Apt 16 also suffered from this problem-this one just ends with the main character realising he may be in a spot of bother, and making a phone call-no resolution, no epilogue, nothing, zip zilch, nada.

No more Nevill for me.
on 16 July 2013
I really enjoyed this book as it was different from other horrors, not all in your face gore but a natural build up of suspense as the book went on
on 25 October 2015
Nevill writes some cracking horror, and this is no exception.
I find his work easy to get into and always a pleasure to read late at night.
on 30 November 2012
A terrifying book that really got into my head. I was genuinely afraid of the dark whilst reading it. It's also a page turner with a strong plot and great narrative.
This is undoubtedly the scariest book I've ever read (and I've read King, Strawb etc).
If you're a fan of horror, buy this book
on 1 July 2012
Kyle is a small-time documentary film producer who is hugely in debt and desperate for a break. The answers to his prayers comes in the form of Max, a wealthy enigmatic sponsor, who wants Kyle to film a documentary about a cult called The Church Of The Last Days. Kyle along with his sound-engineer Dave (his home-based editor 'Finger Mouse' we never meet), sets off on a tightly preordained schedule to various locations to interview former cult members that Max has sourced.

Their investigations reveal more than just the weirdness of your average apocalyptic cult, and Kyle begins to encounter something most decidedly not of this world following him from hotel room to hotel room. As Max begins to make more demands of the team and exert more and more influence on the documentary that Kyle has supposed creative control of, we begin to wonder exactly what Max's agenda is in having the documentary made, and just how much danger it has now put Kyle and his team in.

With the appearance of some truly ghastly bony and slimy creatures that force their way out of woodwork like animated bas-reliefs, along with the nasty human psychology of cult deprivation and manipulation, "Last Days" is a great, sinister story of the devotion of cultists and their degeneration at the behest of their fanatical high priestess.

My one and only minor gripe is the back story, a historical incident which inspired Nevill's tale - personally I'm not sure that it was needed. It may have inspired the book, but to actually bring it in as a back story (right towards the end of the book) as an 'explanation' didn't really work for me - it seemed unnecessary to what was already a great horror tale with no other explanation needed.

That minor personal point aside, this is a great horror story and fans of Nevill pretty certainly shouldn't be disappointed.
on 28 July 2013
Good read, if a little slow and to a point, almost boring.
Worth a go if you like slow build horror with great characterisation.