4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this one
Published 3 months ago by A.J. Waters

3.0 out of 5 stars Decidedly creepy
This book benefits from it's attention to gruesome detail but this is perhaps also what lets it down. There are certainly some stupendously chilling moments but I can't help but feel some of the writing (especially near the end) is too detailed ...leave some bits to the imagination. The plot has an Aliens feel to it and where as that may be okay it compromises an...
Published 2 months ago by umar siddiqui

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this one, 16 Sep 2014
A.J. Waters (Faversham, Kent. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Days (Paperback)
I enjoyed this one. From the very beginning, reading the prologue, I thought "Right then, chaps. Here we ruddy well go! Let's 'ave it!" and sat up with anticipation. I read the first few chapters and then hit the hay, but with great enthusiasm. I went to my mate's house for the weekend (without my book) and every now and then found myself thinking "Corr, I wonder what'll happen next?" then when I got back, I read the rest in one go because I just *had to know, dammit!*

I'm not going to post any spoilers here (because that ain't my bag, unless the book is terrible (but I always give fair warning when I do)), but there were a couple of bits I could've done without. The one thing that *really* got on my nerves was the lead character, whom I really liked to begin with. Without giving anything away, he comes across some proper moody, supernatural s*** where the impossible becomes possible and nightmares become reality and the supernatural becomes natural. He witnesses this all first-hand. Then later, he gets told somewhat of a conclusion, and dribbles on about "How it's not possible!" (like Scully in 'X-Files'. Remember how she sees all those Aliens, Zombies, Mud Monsters, Smoke Men, but still feels the need to question Mulder on EVERYTHING?? It's a bit like that).

Still, without taking that into account *too* much, this is definitely a page turner. The thing I love most about Adam Nevill's work is his attention to detail. He puts a lot of research and location/history building into his stuff and should definitely be recognised for it. And the Old Friends are just fantastic.

A lot of people are complaining about the ending (which, yeah...may have been a *little* too mad for my taste and expectations), but what you need to understand is this; for example: I loved 'The Ritual' but hated the ending. After reading this (which has references to 'The Ritual' (and don't worry, he's written it in a way so there's no spoilers, in case you're yet to read it, so you'll only spot them if you've actually read it) which made me think "Oh wow, what a cool conclusion!". So who knows, maybe we'll get answers in the next one (God, I hope I'm not wrong and jumping the gun on that).

Anyway, really good book, and great value for money. I recommend this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars always worth a read, 14 July 2014
H "hp" (cambridge england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Days (Kindle Edition)
Trusted author who compels one to turn the page, each book has a tale of menace and fear running throughout and brilliantly written characters u care for them,the villains of the piece are as to be expected , in this one the descriptions of the blood fiends was fab and I lived the description of how they come out of the woodwork so to speak and the shadows they leave behind,will remember them whenever I see a stain on the wall,
If I ever need a good horror I turn to this guy, Steven king is great but lately I have been disappointed and miss the days of it and Christine while this is not that it is better than the middle of the road Steven kings like rose madder ,insomnia etc, dive in

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant read, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Last Days (Kindle Edition)
Another brilliant read from Adam Nevill. What a pleasure to find a horror author who is also a stylist; his effects are built up over the course of the novel to reach a fantastic pitch at the climax. Neill's heroes are often faintly unlikeable and it's a measure of his success that this doesn't prevent me from feeling an agonising sympathy for their sufferings.
Really, Nevill isn't the writer for you if you like the quick shocks afforded by John Saul, for example. If you are a more serious reader who isn't daunted by a guide who takes you on a journey through his houses of horror (as opposed to a quick shove down the cellar stairs) then he is the one for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and chilling - Nevill's horror fiction is highly readable!, 27 Nov 2014
This review is from: Last Days (Kindle Edition)
I am a recent convert to the writing of Adam Nevill. Hailed as the UK's answer to Stephen King, Nevill writes complex and deep horror. I was keen to get stuck into this one after buying it to see if it was as exciting and as scary as some of his other books. It's nice to have some British horror authors popping up with their talent to be part of the horror genre scenes.

When indie filmmaker, Kyle Freeman is offered a deal to make a documentary about a notorious cult, an opportunity to avoid both bankruptcy and obscurity is finally on the Table.

Led by the infamous Sister Katherine, the Temple of The Last Days reached it's bloody endgame in the Arizona desert in 1975. Ever since, rumour and speculation about the group's mystical secrets and paranormal experiences have lain half-concealed behind a legacy of murder, sexual deviancy and imprisonment.

The book kicked off really well with Kyle Freeman starting to make his documentary on the cult "The Temple of The Last Days" after being approached with a too-good-to-be-true job offer to make it alongside his trusty cameraman Dan. Kyle is drowning in debt and is offered a huge sum of money to make it so why not? It was a decision he would come to regret.

The book has some super creepy moments in it as Kyle and Dan visit the homes that the cult lived in over the years they were operating. There are some bone-chilling and edge of your seat scary tense moments that were just fantastic. Especially the scene where Kyle & Dan return to the first house that the cult lived in after dark to get some extra footage at night after interviewing one of the former cult members there earlier in the day.

Things that go bump in the night? Yep, and things that scratch their long nails on the floor and weird skeletal images burnt into the walls. This is Nevill's great skill, that slow build up of tension until you find yourself holding your breath.

The darkness they are investigating begins to seep into the home and head of Kyle, at first he brushes it off as in his imagination but before long, Dan and himself realise that there is more to this story than just some old cult who have now disbanded. The book tackles the cult's participation in some pretty dark stuff rape, sodomy, control, supernatural, paranormal, manipulation even murder.

The plot is really well paced in the first half of the book but by then I found it kind of stalled and was dragging on with too much detail that was not in the slightest bit scary. Once they had visited the property in France where they cult had moved to, things slowed down and I was a tad bored for a while. I wish Nevill had been able to keep that horror, the tension, the chill factor in all the way through the book.

The more they film, the more they uncover that this cult was no ordinary cult and the dramatic demise and mass suicide of them at the end of their tenure had more meaning than first realised. What on earth have Kyle and Dan stumbled upon?

The creep factor comes back towards the end of the book but does not hold a light to the first half of the book, it kind of wanes too much, I was a bit disappointed, hence the book not getting five stars.I did enjoy the ending of the book as the evil begins to really make it's presence known and Kyle realises he can't run from it anymore. He has to do something about it.

I will say this, Nevill is a very good writer, he writes complex novels that don't skip a beat. If the plot was that little bit tighter in the second half of this book it would have been absolutely fabulous.

A solid horror book, not as good as his 2014 release Nobody Gets Out Alive which scared the pants off me completely! It's interesting that in reviews of both books I commented on a lull period in the books where it's not very scary or interesting. I think cutting down the books and taking that stuff out by about 100 pages would not detract but enhance the reader's experience.

The dark imagination of Adam Nevill entertained me yet again. I am still a newly converted fan until further notice. I enjoyed reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying horror - quite creepy in parts, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Last Days (Kindle Edition)
This is the second Adam Neville novel I have read and although there are some mixed reviews, I personally found this a very satisfying read. I do enjoy the genre generally but like to think I am discerning. Quality of characterisations and descriptive prose can be lacking but not in this authors case. Creatures in the walls, spectres in the shadows; cults and their cursed survivors; creepy locations and a life and death chase to end the terror that takes us to locations spread over two continents. Is it far fetched? Yes of course. Does it matter? No. It's a horror story. They are all far fetched. No such thing as ghosts, goblins, demons or monsters! It's escapism and it's success hangs on the ability of the author to draw you into his creation and keep you engaged. And if you find yourself peering a little too closely at the shadows cast by your bedside lamp and reading a little too much into the benign nighttime creakings of your humble abode, it scores 4 stars and a thank you very much, job done! If you prefer your horror to get straight to the gory bits without much scene setting etc. the style may not be to your taste and you might side with reviewers who think Neville drags in places. Not my experience at all. Read it over a weekend. Could have put it down but didn't want to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Days, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Last Days (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book even though it scared the hell out of me. Seriously! I was reading it on kindle with the lights off and had to switch them back on. A truly creepy but highly enjoyable book, a tale that lingers in your memory long after you have turned the final page. Read it if you dare.

5.0 out of 5 stars A belter, 2 July 2014
Wilki (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Days (Kindle Edition)
Wow. Riveting, well-written, entertaining, gripping, genuinely quite disturbing- overall a big enjoyable read. I really couldn't put it down, and I don't say that too often these days. A belter. First book i've read of his too, i only hope his others are half as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nerve shredder, 23 Sep 2014
This review is from: Last Days (Paperback)
They don't come much scarier than this. Playing partly on the hand held camera footage of many a horror film, this book will shred your nerves. With an often claustrophobic feel in the most intense set piece scares this book will dangle you over the edge of extreme tension. Nevill's books always remind me of little horror blockbuster movie gems you sometimes come across. It's only a matter of time before Hollywood come knocking. I wouldn't have Nevill down as a Stephen King but he's definitely an early James Herbert when his fiction was at his peak. I'd definitely recommend horror fans jump on his horror bandwagon, but be warned it's going to be an intense and jumpy ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellently scary, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Last Days (Kindle Edition)
My main aim with reading thriller/supernatural/scary books is that I want to be scared. I want to be thinking about the book when I'm not reading it and allow it to work it's way into my mind where my imagination runs wild and pulls me back to indulge in one more chapter. This book does that. From start to finish it's fast paced and very rarely strays off subject with needless back stories or useless filling. Adam Neville has a way of writing likeable characters that always make the supernatural story seem totally believable and this book is no exception. If you want a book that will suck you in and stay in your head long after you've finished it then read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am not a fan of horror ..., 22 Sep 2014
This review is from: Last Days (Paperback)
I've just finished Last Days, and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am not a fan of horror stories and rarely read them, however this one was recommended by a friend. It is extremely well written and plotted, and the story line is original and frightening. I know some use the word 'gripping' to describe even the most pedestrian books, but the description here is totally warranted - this is a gripping, and creepy story, truly a horror story! There are some reviews here that are less than flattering, and some say that the plot is convoluted, but that's not the case - it's an easy read, albeit a riviting one. It is a 'ripping yarn' and I highly recommend it.

Last Days
Last Days by Adam Nevill (Paperback - 11 Oct 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01