Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 May 2013
The second novel in the Walking Dead adaptations, The Road to Woodbury does not disappoint. Following on from the climactic end to Rise of the Governor, this Walking Dead novel takes it into the Governor's community as Lilly becomes the latest inhabitant.
As the novel begins, Lilly is living in a makeshift encampment with her friend Josh. Josh is busy hammering stakes into tents to secure the area when the dead attack the compound. Josh is left to tackle the onslaught as Lilly runs and hides, unable to face the threat. But as the threat is soon dealt with and Josh emerges unscathed, Lilly can't cope with the guilt of leaving him to defend himself. By some miracle, Lilly saves a few children hiding with them, but one of the teenagers is turned, and the father blames Lilly for being unable to save his girl. During the funeral he takes her aside and attacks her, breaking her ribs and Josh dives in to protect her. Following these events, Josh, Lilly and a small number of survivors leave the compound and head off in the wilderness, which will lead them eventually to Woodbury.
All of this action takes place in just a couple of chapters, and this is just right, as their arrival at Woodbury and the development of that community is what grips the reader. The threat of winter is approaching, the small group entering Woodbury has nothing, and they have to rely on the community to keep them warm, safe and alive, away from the walking dead.
This novel is very much about establishing the character dynamics as much as the action taking place. Speaking of action; it is bloody, visceral and brutal. Yet the text itself is also poetic and poignant at times. Bonansinga's text, in conjunction with Kirkman's story creates a truly enjoyable background to the comic books and the TV series, enabling us more insight into the Governor's motivations, the depth of variety of characters in Woodbury and the tension slowly building in the compound.
Lilly, who is the focus viewpoint of the novel, grows into a strong, powerful woman who jumps up from the page, just as Josh, who is physically powerful, is quite a gentle character yet a vibrant presence in the novel. At the end of the book characters have changed, developed and adopted new priorities. This is a good, solid adaptation that adds to the whole Walking Dead universe.
on 3 July 2013
A different angle on the Walking Dead Universe which gets a thumbs up from this fan of the comic and the TV show. As such it is limited by certain constraints (eg I know which characters are definitely going to survive!) - but yet it still manages to be an enthralling read (and is a distinct improvement on the 'Rise of the Governor').

The main character, Lilly, is an engaging young woman with many of the frailties that one would expect of anyone thrust into a Zombie Apocalypse, and as so instantly grabs the reader's attention as we live through the increasingly bleak world along with her.

All in all this is a good read even if you aren't familiar with the WD World, and works just as well as a one-off read - 4 stars out of 5. It loses one point for a rather weak ending which feels somewhat forced.

NB - There are a few concepts which TWD and other Zombie stories haven't covered which I'm saving for my own Zombie novel when I get around to it!
on 31 July 2013
the walking dead, road to woodbury is a good read if you like zombie's and the walking dead season's you should enjoy the book. the reason I think its a 3 star is because I enjoyed it more when the characters are on the road, I enjoyed the 1st book more because of this.
on 19 July 2013
We all know that some people are born with a lack of fear and a strong instinct to survive; and some are not.

Lilly's journey within the book is somewhat padded out but the emotions and details are somewhat necessary to really put you in her shoes.

As for the events in Woodbury, it gives an additional insight into the Governor and I did enjoy the book but it could have been better.

It is worth the read but it doesn't have that re-read factor to it.
on 24 March 2013
A Walking Dead group I belong to recommended this book, along with 'Rise of the Governor' as interesting backstory to the TV series (which is based on a series of graphic novels). I truly enjoyed the book. It centres on a completely different group of survivors until they eventually arrive at Woodbury and it's still early days in Woodbury before Andrea & Michonne stumble across it.

If you like the TV series I recommend this book (but read Rise of the Governor first)
on 9 September 2013
Maybe I wasn't reding the same book as some others or maybe I'm Walking Dead biased, but I really enjoyed this book. It fills in pieces of the puzzle that are missing from the TV series and I can't get enough of it. I don't think this book is meant to be as fast paced as the first as it draws you in to the monotonous of Woodbury, numbs you like the characters; you're there with them and that is the brilliance in the writing...a must read for a Walking Dead fan.
on 27 January 2013
Another very good book with alot of action and twists and turns. Not as good as the first book but that's to be expected, but the ending has set up the 3rd book nicely, which I now can't wait to read! I read a review on this book which slated it, as Lilly doesn't quite fit the personality of her character in The Walking Dead PS3 game, this is true to an extent but it didn't ruin the book for me! An excellent read for any Walking Dead fans!
on 21 November 2013
this book lost a lot of the readability of the 1st book for me, still a good read but it was a lot easier to put down, sometimes the story dragged a little, and I occasionally had trouble caring about the characters, still better than the vast majority of the dross that gets spewed on the market in zombie fiction, however unlike the 1st book I did not find myself waiting eagerly for the next one. Oh Well, I can always reread World War Z
on 8 January 2013
Really good book & super easy to read but leaves you wanting to know more! Really good to see a new perspective in the horror that's in the story. Would like to have had more of the "Governor's " Perspextive especially why he took the head of a certain character? that part is not explained. did he just not like him??
also when will the next one be out & will that include characters that we see on the tv show?? Ie. Merle!!
Not bad but the first book was an origin story whereas most people know what will happen at Woodbury. The first bit is the strongest where survivors are trying to band together and keep alive, characters are given some depth and we start to care about them. Finally they make it to Woodbury to find that 'safety' means different things to different people.

So an easy read but with not much insight or depth.