5.0 out of 5 stars Murder Wall-brilliant read

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't come together for me
Published on 24 Aug 2012 by agatha

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't come together for me, 24 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Murder Wall (Kate Daniels) (Paperback)
Started off quite well, but makes the debut mistake of adding in too many things. Each character has some massive backstory that over eggs the pudding. The two stories don't tie together until late in the book when distracted by the jumpy style and two page chapters, vast selection of characters, and the slotted in bits about the killer, I'd just ceased to care enough.

I never got a clear sense of why the killer did it and he seemed lacking in authenticity for me, more killer by numbers. I finished the book but it never grabbed me. Mari Hannah writes well, but the book felt poorly edited and leaps about in a disjointed way so that her good prose gets swamped. I also got very little sense of location compared to Val McDermid or Danielle Ramsay's mentions of the North East and this disappointed me as it's a part of the world I love.

I'll give the second one a go because there's potential, but I hope her editing team do better next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder Wall-brilliant read, 3 Jun 2012
I am always on the look out for a new book to read and Mari Hannah's Murder Wall appeared to fit the bill and the fact that it was set in the Newcastle area where I live gave it an added attraction. Hiowever there is a lot more to this book than just that. It is a fast paced and well written crime thriller with a refreshing lead character in Kate Daniels. Mari has an excellent grasp of story telling and keeps the story nicely moving along and plenty of plot twists to keep you guessing.

I would highly recommend her debuit novel and I am really looking forward to her second novel out at the back end of this year which again features Kate Daniels. I for one can't wait

4.0 out of 5 stars Gritty and intelligent. A true original, 13 May 2012
VPeanuts (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) - See all my reviews
'

Mari Hannah's debut novel introduces us to a new detective, DCI Kate Daniels. Kate is intelligent, gutsy and strong but someone's out to put a spanner in the works of Daniels's illustrious career. Almost a year after discovering a brutal double murder, Daniels is presented with the corpse of a familiar face but fails to disclose the connection - making everything even more complicated. A murderer is on the loose in Newcastle and it's up to Daniels to stop the killer from claiming any more victims.

Mari Hannah's writing is taut and intelligent, she keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the novel. The way in which Mari describes the characters gives the reader a great mental image of who she's writing about. There's an abundance of characters which just adds to the realistic feel of the piece.

It's fast-paced, gritty and realistic. It contains lots of information regarding police procedures but the information is always relevant to the story. The idea behind the crimes is highly original and, as a native north-easterner, I loved that the geographical locations were accurate.

In Kate Daniels, Mari has created a character that you want to know more about and I for one and am pleased that the second installment featuring DCI Daniels will be out later this year.

Always mindful of the reader, Hannah has produced short chapters for bedtime readers who want to stop at the end of a chapter. However, the story is so good, you may find it keeps you awake all night!

A great debut from a writer with bags of potential.

Vic x

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit like reading a free novel., 18 Sep 2014
Felt a bit amateur to be honest. I am not good at English and not a literature critic, but over the years I have read a lot of novels. I can tell the difference between the type and style of writing you find with say the free or mills and boon and an experienced crime writer. I think it may be the lack of detail in building up an image in my mind of the scene and characters. A bit " he did this, she did that and then this happend "., skipping the detail a bit. Now I do sound like a critic, but. I am just trying to be honest. If it's any consulation to the author, my wife did like it and bought the next one in the series.. As we share an account, To be honest I have'nt really looked to see whether she got this first Kate Daniels as a free book, but it does have that feel about it. Sorry. I did read I talk though, so it was'nt all bad.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, dull, dull., 24 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Murder Wall (Kate Daniels) (Paperback)
This had a lot of potential, but there were two basic things wrong with it and I was unable to finish. Firstly, 3 of the main protagonists (the DI, the criminal profiler and the DI's immediate boss) were harbouring secrets that were constantly referred to, but not told to us. It became so annoying as we were made aware ad nauseum that we didn't know everything about these people. It got worse when the Assistant Chief Constable entered into the story and guess what? Oh really? Another character who isn't telling the whole truth and nothing but.........? What a surprise! The first "secret" is revealed in chapter 34. I didn't read far enough to discover what the others were, or when they would be revealed. And the reason I didn't was down to the writing.

The writing held no joy. And by that I don't mean the story wasn't a happy one (it wasn't.) I mean there was no flair or humour or spirit. It just described what happened and 150 pages in I was still struggling to remember who was who within the investigating team. It was all quite flat and the author's attempt to add any style to her writing was weird - "Gormley was noshing a fry-up enthusiastically when Daniels caught up with him."

It was all just dull and boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grips the reader from the start and is almost impossible to put down, 12 April 2012
This review is from: The Murder Wall (Kate Daniels) (Paperback)
This is an accomplished first novel by Mari Hannah, it grips the reader from the start and is almost impossible to put down. The prose is a joy to read; lean, tight sentences conjure unforgettable scenes in the imagination. The chapters are short and intense, heightening the senses and compelling you to read on.

DCI Kate Daniels is strong, direct, competitive, independent, fiercely loyal to those she loves and a risk-taker. She's protective of her private life and rarely confides in anyone, yet she's often the first to offer support to others. DS Hank Gormley is the perfect foil to DCI Daniels as he gradually draws her out and gives the reader a more rounded view of her character. The well observed office politics and banter in the police station feel realistic and believable.

In contrast the measured, detached tone of the killer will make your flesh crawl. It's a truly chilling characterization of a killer who is as haunted as Daniels in their own way, a tormented soul that evokes no sympathy.

Packed with original twists and memorable characters this début novel is a thrilling, compulsive page-turner!

2.0 out of 5 stars Clunky style and shallow characters, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Murder Wall (Kate Daniels) (Paperback)
This book was a big disappointment for me. The writing style is awkward and makes it difficult to read, I had to will myself to go on reading after the first few (very short) chapters. About a third into the story, the flow improved and I started to enjoy it a bit. Then towards the end, it becomes clunky again and that combined with poor characterisation and a few improbabilities here and there makes this a rather poor book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A proper page turner - cant wait for the next instalment!!, 15 April 2012
This review is from: The Murder Wall (Kate Daniels) (Paperback)
This is a great debut from someone we are sure to hear much more of in the future. Mari Hannah's main protagonist Kate Daniels is for me a sure fire hit, not least as she is one of the more realistic top cops I've read to date. By no means perfect, and with a turbulent private life and one or two secrets of her own to deal with.

You really feel your in an authentic Murder Investigation Room with cracking dialogue between Kate and her team...not to mention the choice words she shares with her senior officers from time to time. DS Gormley, her right hand man is one of many on her team that I hope has more to come in the much anticipated series to follow. In fact the book is littered with well thought out characters you will like and others you will certainly not! The killer is a disturbed individual proving Peter James was right to suggest Mari Hannah writes with a dark heart. This is surely destined for the screen at some point.

I've already pre ordered 'Settled Blood' to make sure I don't have to wait any longer than I have to, to read more of Daniels story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 2 May 2012
S. Rothwell (Preston,Lancs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Murder Wall (Kate Daniels) (Paperback)
I bought this book after seeing a stream of reviews for it on the Internet. A wonderful read and its good that it is the start of a new series of books. All the characters were well rounded, even the minor ones. Looking forward to November when the next installments is out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Holiday book, 1 Mar 2014
Reasonably good read, although I found it rather slow on action . maybe l need to read more by author

The Murder Wall (Kate Daniels)
The Murder Wall (Kate Daniels) by Mari Hannah (Paperback - 12 April 2012)