Format: Paperback|Change

This book begins with Cathy's escape from the killer, Peter Tobin. Clutching her young son she flees, fearing he will catch her and kill her. Her family say, "it can't be that bad". Until, one day, he is arrested and then they know that, indeed, it was.

The first half of this book is about Cathy's childhood. Her mother was a bit of a wild child, becoming pregnant when very young. She marries Cathy's father, but the marriage fails, and so begins a life which Cathy accepts as normal, but which is anything but. Flitting from flat to flat when she fails to pay the rent, Cathy's mum does her best, but struggles to maintain a proper life for her daughter. She has a drink and drugs problem and Cathy suffers both serious neglect and also abuse from men that her mother meets. As a mother myself, I found this part of the book very hard to read and my heart goes out to Cathy for all that she suffered. Luckily for her, she had good grandparents who cared for her, but she struggled with a life filled with rules after the nomadic existence she had previously lived.

This childhood also made her a perfect victim for Peter Tobin. He could see beneath the confident exterior that Cathy presented. A child who had been forced to be an adult too young, with responsibilities no child should face, she was vulnerable and he used that vulnerability. This is a shocking book, upsetting in parts, but told with no self pity and remarkable honesty. Cathy's son is lucky that his mother is a strong and brave woman. It is a shame that she was forced to find such strength so young, but I wish her well and am glad I read her remarkable story.
on 16 September 2011
A horrific tale of forming a relationship with an abusive and violent man who you would discover to your disgust was a serial killer! What drew Cathy in her all innocence to a man who didn't deserved her love and care the slightest? Read and find out for yourself this extraordinary tale, her dramatic escape and the ordeal she went through. You just wish it wasn't true and no one was to suffer what she did. It touches your heart at places and you would see yourself involuntarily sobbing. A highly moving, detailed and honest account of a relationship that was to traumatise her not very far from the beginning.
on 6 May 2012
I found that once I picked up this book I just could not put it down. This is a lesson to all women who feel that they have to be with a man to survive & that at times being a single parent is the best option. I found it insightful & harrowing.
on 7 March 2012
I found this book unable to put down. Equally I had to keep reminding myself that this was not a work of fiction but it actually happened. How can one person inflict such horrors on another and believe it to be acceptable is beyond belief. So well written. I am sure that this book could act as inspiration to other women in this position that it is possible to survive .Such a strong woman!
on 14 July 2012
Although married to Tobin, Cathy Wilson was unaware of his real serial killer identity and therefore the crimes for which he has become infamous are mentioned only briefly at the end of Cathy's story.

However her relationship with him and her early life make truly horrifying reading. Throughout the book the reader is left aghast at the vulnerability of Cathy and later her own son as she struggles to overcome unimaginable deprivation and horrendous exploitation by some incredibly depraved predators.

Cathy's story is one of redemption and survivial however and it will give hope and sustenance to many people who recognise the dire situations she ultimately escaped from.
on 27 July 2012
This book hooked me from the day I started reading it. I was up till 3 one night reading this! This book shows the true horrors of what happened during Cathy's life starting from the very beginning. In the book you grow up with Cathy and during the second part of her life you see the connections between her childhood and how it's affected her later in life. This book got me reading other things related to Peter Tobin, the brutal murders he's committed and the violence and rape. This book is a must read!
on 6 December 2011
I couldn't put this book down from the moment i picked it up. Amazing story definitely worth reading and I really admire her for writing it all down. I love the way Cathy has written it in a very matter of fact mannor and you can't help but put yourself in her position and try to imagine how you would cope.
on 23 October 2015
Fantastically well written .in could not put this book down .what wonderfully brave girl .she was manipulated by Tobin from the start but was so desperate for a normal life she just did not see what was happening he is a truley evil man .thank God she was strong enough to get way from he in the end .she is a very brave person .will re- this again soon .
on 23 October 2013
Wow, what a read! This really is a page turner, Cathy tells the story of her life from as far back as she can remember and my goodness she has had a very challenging life! I am half way through the book and I'm praying that she eventually finds happiness, I have really warmed to her and admire her determination & courage! xx
on 28 September 2011
I think all the previous reviews have just about covered it.
I met Cathy in 1990, soon after she moved to portsmouth. In the ten plus years that I knew her, before I moved to another part of the country, I learnt of some of the horrors that she had been through, but reading this book made me realise just how horrific it had been for her.

As Cathy says in the book, it was only her bond to Daniel that made her fight back, & come out of all of this a much stronger person. The last time I saw Daniel, he was a strapping six footer, & had grown into a young man that Cathy is rightly very proud of. Maybe you'll read this Cathy, I hope you do, I am proud to have been able to call you a friend.
A thoroughly recommended read.

P.S, the Andy in the book? thats me...