Format: Paperback|Change

I wasn't going to write a review but I was so amazed at the previous reviewers comment: "The poorest Peter Hamilton novel I've read" that I felt moved to add my own comments.
It has, perhaps, been superseded by the later, grander works, but not in terms of quality.

The major problem with this book, and indeed with the "Greg Mandel Series" as a whole, is that like so many SF authors, the author set the events a little too close to the present. Real history has over-taken the events described.
When reading the books today you have to suspend the natural inclination to see the book as predictive and view it instead, as a kind of parallel alternate history(like "Watchmen" or "The Man in the High Castle").If you can do that there is much to enjoy in the series.
A more minor difficulty is, that this is the third book in the series, and while it is possible to read it without reading the others first, it is not advisable. In fact one of the best features of the books is the way that all the characters grow and change as the story progresses.

The first book in the series("Mindstar Rising") is good and introduces the characters and world very well. The second is a decent enough read, but ultimately not of the standard of the others. This book, the third and final instalment, is the best by far and features some of the the most brilliantly realised SF I've ever read.
A criticism sometimes directed at the later works is that the ride is great but the finish doesn't always match it. In this book he actually exceeds expectations.

Since all three books in the series, put together, are about as long as one instalment of the "Night's Dawn Trilogy" and are as readable as anything he has written since, I would recommend this, and them, to any fan of the author.
In truth the series is a great place to start if you are new to him; it worked for me.
This is Hamilton's third Greg Mandel novel, but it is the first I have read, having previously read the wonderful Night's Dawn Trilogy.
Maybe it is because of this that it took me a while to get into the story, but once in, it is a satisfying cyber-thriller.
Hamilton's vision of a near-future England is as interesting as the story itself. Near-future is always dangerous territory - everyone has their own vision and what seems credible to one person is not so to another. In this case it hangs together pretty well.
If you only intend to ever read one Peter F Hamilton novel, I would not recommend this one - try the Reality Dysfunction instead (its part 1 of the Night's Dawn trilogy, and ensures that you will read three Hamilton novels instead of one!)
That said, the Nano Flower is still well worth a read.
on 13 December 2005
I was introduced to Peter F. Hamilton with “A Second Chance at Eden” and was amazed how easily it was to read, how much you can travel with his characters, imagine what he describes without being bored with too many details.
I then read Mindstar Rising, A Quantum Murder and The Nano Flower and that was it, I was hooked, I cannot praise his books enough.
I am currently reading Mispent Youth and yet again I am being swallowed by his aptitude at story telling. I find it very difficult to put it down (like the previous ones) and the only down side is that I am tired the next day from lack of sleep.
I am a slow reader but remember books pretty well and won’t read it again for 4-5 years, but with his books I have not problem what so ever re-reading them even after 6 months and will still enjoy every single pages.
What can I say, you just need to tell me a book is from him and I will grab it and read it.
This man is a genius!
on 25 July 2004
An excellent sci-fi read! Much of the terminology in the novel shows up in Peter F's later series, "The Nights Dawn Trilogy" (one of the best sci-fi stories I've ever known!), making you realise just where the inspiritation for it came from. This is easily the best book in "The MindStar Trilogy", and is easy to pick up even if you haven't read the previous two novels. Well done Peter F!!! 5/5
on 4 October 2014
What did the Emperor of Austria say to Mozart after seeing a performance? "Don't take it too hard, my dear chap, but....too many notes. Too many notes."
This is exactly how I felt about The Nano Flower. There seemed to be something like three successive stories going on. It took forever to read...or so it seemed. The first Peter Hamilton book I read was "A Quantum Mystery". It was great. Couldn't put it down. I enjoyed it so much that I got into my jeep two weeks after finishing it and took a long day's drive down to Launde Abbey and the area around Rutland Water. Loved the book AND the setting. DON'T miss a lunch at the Finches Arms in the real village of Hambleton, where Greg Mandel lives; It's terrific.
But this story? No. just too long and rambling and too reliant upon techno-babble, hacking into this and hacking into that. Julia is just simply too high up the social pecking order to be liked: she makes Richard Branson look like some insignificant bit-player on the world-stage. The scenes are too wide-ranging: zeppelins, captive asteroids...
The overall setting I find brilliant. Who the hell'd ever put bl00dy PETERBOROUGH at the centre of the colonised universe, eh? Masterstroke! But, after six hundred odd pages, what in all the Seven Hundred Halls of Hell WAS the Nanofower? I'm still mystified.
on 13 February 2006
I have previously read the author's Night's Dawn Trilogy and Pandora's Star and have found them to be excellent stories, but heavy going at times. This is the first of the Event Horizon books I have read and believe this is a much better balance. The characters are built well and the story line is fast paced enough to carry the reader along.
I will waste no time in buying more of the books in this series.
Hamilton as most who read science fiction know is one of the best writers in the field. His stories are always character dense, with often complicated plots and usually an ending that you don't see coming.

The Greg Mandel series of books are a mix of detective, military and corporate money set in a near future where global warming has changed the landscape of the UK. Peterborough is now the center of the UK money and manufacturing (Hamilton must have a sense of humour) and the UK is on the up after years of political upheaval and impact from the rising seas. Hamilton has not done the end of world background, by the way. He has taken an optomistic view and humans have coped and are once again using inginuity to expand.

Greg Mandel is an ex military mind reader - of sorts - in semi retirement, who has been asked to deal with a potentially world changing problem. Using a mix of action and detective skills he brings the various threads together with the usual explosive ending.

Well written, taut and convoluted. An excellent science fiction detective story written by an author at the top of his game.
on 23 October 2015
I remain a huge fan of this series involving a telepathic freelance operative investigating hi-tech crimes sometime in the near future. Everything that I loved from book one is here, albeit the page count of this instalment is a great deal bigger. With that increased page count comes a lot more world building, and some fleshed out characters in an ensemble cast that a smaller book couldn’t accommodate. And quite frankly, all that extra character work and world building was fascinating and handled incredibly well. That said, I still feel this series works better when the title hero is kept more front and center and the story follows the hero primarily rather than spending so much time leveraging an ensemble cast of characters. For that reason, and that reason alone, I went four stars with this installment versus the 5 star rating I gave book one. That said, I’m eager to get on with book 3, and just wish he’d kept this series going a bit longer.
on 5 December 2007
As with most of Peter Hamilton's books I started reading it and couldn't put it down.
I live in Leicestershire, and the way he uses local place names in this book and also Nights Dawn Trilogy, seems a bit odd when I know them so well, but it works.
His characters are well developed and the novel is gripping and fast paced.
The only criticism (if it is one,) Is that Julia seemed happy to let Royan go, whom she loved so much and who she would walk through the fires of hell to protect, then fall into the arms of someone else in nothing flat!
I think the Suzy character could have been developed a bit more as well. Apart from those small elements, this is a rollicking good read, and I would recommend it to anyone, whether or not you have read anything by Peter F Hamilton before.
on 15 January 2013
Not only set on Earth but here in England around Rutland which is great. It is nice to read really top end science fiction with a good storey based here for a change - makes it very easy to relate to and a near future that is all too believable.

I bought this to put on my kindle having read the paper copy some years back. It is one of those reads that you just know you will enjoy re-reading at some point. Thoroughly enjoy the Greg Mandel character too.