5.0 out of 5 stars Still My Favourite.
I wasn't going to write a review but I was so amazed at the previous reviewers comment: "The poorest Peter Hamilton novel I've read" that I felt moved to add my own comments.
It has, perhaps, been superseded by the later, grander works, but not in terms of quality.

Published on 7 Jun 2007 by William J. Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars Deus ex machina doesn't even cover it.
I like Hamiltons writing but he does seem to like major deus ex machinas endings, this was more blatant than most.

I was left with more than a few feelings of "but that doesn't make any sense... why would... why don't they just... but they could... " which just kinda ruined the story for me a bit.
Published 3 months ago by David Murpy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Still My Favourite., 7 Jun 2007
William J. Walker "Billyjay" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

The major problem with this book, and indeed with the "Greg Mandel Series" as a whole, is that like so many SF authors, the author set the events a little too close to the present. Real history has over-taken the events described.
When reading the books today you have to suspend the natural inclination to see the book as predictive and view it instead, as a kind of parallel alternate history(like "Watchmen" or "The Man in the High Castle").If you can do that there is much to enjoy in the series.
A more minor difficulty is, that this is the third book in the series, and while it is possible to read it without reading the others first, it is not advisable. In fact one of the best features of the books is the way that all the characters grow and change as the story progresses.

The first book in the series("Mindstar Rising") is good and introduces the characters and world very well. The second is a decent enough read, but ultimately not of the standard of the others. This book, the third and final instalment, is the best by far and features some of the the most brilliantly realised SF I've ever read.
A criticism sometimes directed at the later works is that the ride is great but the finish doesn't always match it. In this book he actually exceeds expectations.

Since all three books in the series, put together, are about as long as one instalment of the "Night's Dawn Trilogy" and are as readable as anything he has written since, I would recommend this, and them, to any fan of the author.
In truth the series is a great place to start if you are new to him; it worked for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good thriller, 19 Aug 2003
Tom Douglas "TD" (Marlow) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This is Hamilton's third Greg Mandel novel, but it is the first I have read, having previously read the wonderful Night's Dawn Trilogy.
Maybe it is because of this that it took me a while to get into the story, but once in, it is a satisfying cyber-thriller.
Hamilton's vision of a near-future England is as interesting as the story itself. Near-future is always dangerous territory - everyone has their own vision and what seems credible to one person is not so to another. In this case it hangs together pretty well.
If you only intend to ever read one Peter F Hamilton novel, I would not recommend this one - try the Reality Dysfunction instead (its part 1 of the Night's Dawn trilogy, and ensures that you will read three Hamilton novels instead of one!)
That said, the Nano Flower is still well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say? Brilliant, absolutely brilliant...!, 13 Dec 2005
Vanina (Utrecht, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I was introduced to Peter F. Hamilton with “A Second Chance at Eden” and was amazed how easily it was to read, how much you can travel with his characters, imagine what he describes without being bored with too many details.
I then read Mindstar Rising, A Quantum Murder and The Nano Flower and that was it, I was hooked, I cannot praise his books enough.
I am currently reading Mispent Youth and yet again I am being swallowed by his aptitude at story telling. I find it very difficult to put it down (like the previous ones) and the only down side is that I am tired the next day from lack of sleep.
I am a slow reader but remember books pretty well and won’t read it again for 4-5 years, but with his books I have not problem what so ever re-reading them even after 6 months and will still enjoy every single pages.
What can I say, you just need to tell me a book is from him and I will grab it and read it.
This man is a genius!

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Peter F, at it's best!, 25 July 2004
An excellent sci-fi read! Much of the terminology in the novel shows up in Peter F's later series, "The Nights Dawn Trilogy" (one of the best sci-fi stories I've ever known!), making you realise just where the inspiritation for it came from. This is easily the best book in "The MindStar Trilogy", and is easy to pick up even if you haven't read the previous two novels. Well done Peter F!!! 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 13 Feb 2006
I have previously read the author's Night's Dawn Trilogy and Pandora's Star and have found them to be excellent stories, but heavy going at times. This is the first of the Event Horizon books I have read and believe this is a much better balance. The characters are built well and the story line is fast paced enough to carry the reader along.
I will waste no time in buying more of the books in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 5 Dec 2007
A. McMahon (England) - See all my reviews
As with most of Peter Hamilton's books I started reading it and couldn't put it down.
I live in Leicestershire, and the way he uses local place names in this book and also Nights Dawn Trilogy, seems a bit odd when I know them so well, but it works.
His characters are well developed and the novel is gripping and fast paced.
The only criticism (if it is one,) Is that Julia seemed happy to let Royan go, whom she loved so much and who she would walk through the fires of hell to protect, then fall into the arms of someone else in nothing flat!
I think the Suzy character could have been developed a bit more as well. Apart from those small elements, this is a rollicking good read, and I would recommend it to anyone, whether or not you have read anything by Peter F Hamilton before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best British writer in decades, 24 Jun 2014
I really enjoy Peter Hamilton's books - and this one was no exception. I can imagine that he could write great poetry because along with a rich and engrossing ability to write amazing stories he writes very good descriptive prose. I have everything he has published. No pressure Peter - but when can we expect the next one?

3.0 out of 5 stars Deus ex machina doesn't even cover it., 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel 3) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., 1 Mar 2014
Quite enjoyed the story. Moved along nicely. Possibly a bit over complicated. Lots of pseudo tech if you like that sort of thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A well written book, 23 Feb 2014
The Greg Mandel books are three absorbing stories and well worth a read.This one takes the reader into space in near earth orbit.I enjoyed reading it and look forward to more from this author.Of the three Greg Mandel stories this one is the best and unfortunately the last. As always with Peter Hamilton I wish there was more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel 3)
The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel 3) by Peter F. Hamilton (Paperback - 7 Oct 2011)