5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read
Not my usual choice but it was on offer so I thought I'd give it a go. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A very interesting read showing the difference between the two cultures of the main characters. I loved how the story line went from the 1980's back to the childhoods of the older characters. I will be reading more Annie Murray in future.
Published on 4 July 2012 by Lynn

3.0 out of 5 stars Knots and tangles sorted by talking
This was a lovely book to be in the midst of reading but on reflection once finished a bit of a disappointment. The resolution, despite the long journey to get there, felt rather too easy. Everyone seemed to be able to resolve their entrenched psychological difficulties and emotional hangups as soon as they had disclosed them honestly to a sympathetic listener. One felt...
Published 23 months ago by Francesca

‹ Previous | 112 13 1418 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars My daughter, my mother, 17 Sep 2012
A good read, possibly a little difficult to follow at first. Kept me engrossed though and a great storyline. Defo try other titles by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 7 Sep 2012
this book i just couldn`t put it down one of the best i have read in a long time a must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars average read, 5 Sep 2012
First book i've read by this author and although it appears to be well researched I found the constant use of the word "mom" irritating. Couldn't figure out if it was set in Birmingham England or Birmingham America.
Having said this I will probably read more of her books as I enjoyed this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, 1 Sep 2012
This is a good read once you get into it. I found it a bit confusing working out who was related to who. But once I had I enjoyed it .

4.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter My Mother, 29 Aug 2012
It is not the usual book I would choose but was pleasantly suprised. It is a story of the different generations and the struggles the female characters face. Both of the mothers are scarred by the events of the childhood, but as is true of that generation feel it is not appropriate to tell their families. This ultimately effects the way they deal with the problems their daughters have to face. Both Mothers then are faced with confronting events in their past. It touches on the differences of cultures and religion and in places can by quite moving. I found it easy to read and could relate to the charcters but it isn't a book I had to keep reading and not put down. I wasn't quite sure I found the end believable though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story combining two different cultures, 28 Aug 2012
I got this book free or for less than 1. It was a very enjoyable read about two young women who meet at a pre school playgroup. One is white British (Joanne)and the other is Asian (Sookie). They strike up a deep friendship and the book goes on the incorporate their mother's life stories. It was great to read about Joanne's mother during the war and Sookie's mother during the partition of India. It explained a lot about life through the generations and why the girls were the people they became.
Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 27 Aug 2012
thoroughly enjoyed this book and thought the story was well thought out. i loved the way the past intertwined with present. the author really made all the characters come alive and have depth. brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Aug 2012
Really enjoyed this one. A number of different stories going on at the same time covering different cultures. Would highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter, My Mother, 25 Aug 2012
A really good & compelling read about the different challenges faced by the mothers & daughters in two families from very different cultural backgrounds. I would definitely recommend this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 24 Aug 2012
I found this an interesting book simply becaue it pointed out cultural differences. Good storyline, not gripping for me, but I still enjoyed it.

‹ Previous | 112 13 1418 | Next ›

My Daughter, My Mother
My Daughter, My Mother by Annie Murray (Paperback - 1 Mar 2012)
3.86