5.0 out of 5 stars Guard A Silver Sixpence
Published on 19 Jun 2011 by bookworm18

2.0 out of 5 stars Guard a Silver Sispence
I did not like this as it was drawn out and not my type. Each to his own, but I did find it useful when I could'nt sleep as it was on my Kindle.
Published 19 months ago by Eileen Evans

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Guard A Silver Sixpence, 19 Jun 2011
This review is from: Guard a Silver Sixpence: My Yorkshire Family's Secret (Paperback)
The author skillfully weaves her own life story with her family history , and also social history of the mid 1800s describing the colliery disaster that killed some of her relatives. The main "character" is her grandmother who really did make the authors life very difficult. It is only at the end of the book that we realise why the authors mother was unable to stand up for herself and her daughter against the grandmothers tyranny, and also the reason for the books title ( which I found very moving). This is a beautifully written book. At the end of it , although I can t condone her grandmothers behavour, I did find myself sympathising with her over the one event when she was four years old that really did blight her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars well done felicity, 21 Jun 2011
Well im up to chapter 8 and the book is becoming an addiction to see what happens next!Im finding it very sad in the way felicity was treated by her grandmother,but now shes fifteen shes standing up to her and its quite hillarious in parts.thorougly enjoying reading the book (i havent read a book in 14 years)highly recommended read!well done to the author for having the courage to share her life with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Yorkshire Beauty, 20 Jun 2011
In 'Guard A Silver Sixpence' Davis folds together the secrets of her family history and its impact on her young life and how it has sculpted her to become a strong woman. I thoroughly enjoyed the blend of the two generations and was suprised at what I learnt myself about Yorkshire history.
I found myself racing through some chapters desperate to find out what was going to happen, then relaxing into others enjoying the humour and sweet memories. I found this story beautifully evocative and empowering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guard a silver sixpence, 18 Jun 2011
Miss C. DIPLACIDO (Scarborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an extremely moving story, intellegently written which shows how history can influence the future, and how knowledge can change it. Felicity Davis's journey of self discovery is an inspiration! This is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guard a Silver Sixpence, 1 Aug 2011
This book is fantastically written and weaves the stories together so well, it was an absolute pleasure to read and at the end, when the title is explained and the 4year old's life long effect from that event, made it just more brilliant and a big thank you goes to the author for sharing her most private feelings and at the same time helping to explain many of our own. Well Done

5.0 out of 5 stars true book, 9 Mar 2014
I love the honesty of this book all skeletons revealed ,a very interesting insight into the lives of Flic and her ancestors and the mining community

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read !! I could not put this book down!, 8 Oct 2013
Such a fantastic read and so interesting!! I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in family history! Felicity brings to life her ancestors and through doing so it reveals a lot about the secrets in her family and unanswered questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars insight, 1 Oct 2013
I heard the author on the local radio and thought the story well worth reading.
Great story as I am into ancestry but found the story jumped about a bit too much and at times I lost the thread and had to go back to re-read some chapters.
However it is well worth the read to get an insight to understanding those days of the past.

4.0 out of 5 stars couldnt put it down, 11 July 2013
This book was about the town and area in which I was born. So I could relate to the author's many experiences of those times of struggle and the eventual need to have a different future for myself and my children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the past can change the present., 21 May 2013
R. A. Leaman "Rita Leaman" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
Yorkshire industrial and social history covering two centuries, providing a background to a life story of surviving an abusive upbringing in a seaside town. Evocative writing.

After the first page, I wondered whether it was going to be a misery memoir, but I was hooked. Why was her Gran like that? By the end, we understood and there wasn't anything miserable about the writer. It was about being gutsy and discovering that while past events inform who we are, we can change patterns of behaviour.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Guard a Silver Sixpence: My Yorkshire Family's Secret
Guard a Silver Sixpence: My Yorkshire Family's Secret by Felicity Davis (Paperback - 9 Jun 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01