5.0 out of 5 stars Far-fetched fun.
In a similar vein to Matthew Reilly's Ice Station and James Rollin's Ice Hunt, Beneath The Dark Ice is a rip-roaring adventure guaranteed to keep you turning those pages well into the night.

This is pure popcorn entertainment, so leave your brain at home and enjoy the ride.

Our hero, Alex Hunter, is a super-human (I told you to leave your brain at...
Published on 13 Nov. 2011 by Ben Peyton

2.0 out of 5 stars Captain America vs Aliens
This book is very much a mash up of ideas from movies and other books; Aliens, The Thing, Journey to the Centre of the Earth among the films with the Atlantean elements reminisent of books by McDermott, Gibbins, Brokow, Pavlou and Greanias, to name a few. The Characters are the standard set of indestructible super soldier(and in this case he pretty much is!), fiesty but...
Published 20 months ago by Mark Mcclelland

4.0 out of 5 stars Help there a monster after me, 9 Mar. 2014
I have enjoyed this book it's not the first time I have read Greig Beck and have always found them to most entertaining.

4.0 out of 5 stars Arcadian ace, 15 Feb. 2014
Mw "jenwin" (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
Smooth and slick, a good and entertaining action,adventure.enjoyed tough guys against prehistoric monsters and Russian bad guys.certainly one of the better books about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Aug. 2013
This is a classic adventure/action thriller with great characters and super fast plotting. The author writes in a similar style to Matthew Reilly(whose books I love) so it was perfect for me. Plenty of cliffhangers and a good nemesis to threaten the protagonist, who is an all round intriguing and he could have a good run of stories ahead of him. I will definitely read more of this author!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Enjoyed This Vary Much, 7 Aug. 2013
Traffic (Kiruna, Sweden) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
KK, just finished this book on my Kindle Fire HD and I enjoyed more than I thought I would. After having reading the prologue and then into the story proper I did start having doubts vary early on when I read that our hero was in fact a superhuman hero in that he had incredible lightening reactions (he managed to plucked cup out of the air that sound had dropped and whilst the contents of the cup were still falling through the air he used the same cup to scoop the contents right out of the air), he has superhuman strength and vastly enhanced senses; and this was all due to having been shot in the head where the bullet, lodging in his brain, caused his body to produce certain chemicals/hormones that gave him these superhuman powers. When I read that bit in the first few pages I thought "Oh no, here we go, one of these ridiculous heroes that can pick up a tank by the gun barrel, swing it round and throw it miles whilst surviving a point blank hit from its explosive armament!" However, it wasn't like that at all and didn't get too ridiculous. So what is the story about? A private jet has crashed into the Antarctic with such ferocity that it has opened up a cave complex beneath the ice. A scientific team go in to investigate but are not heard of. In comes our superhuman hero, Alex Hunter, leader of a team of the elite of the special forces (HAWCS) who leads a rescue/discovery mission. Soon they are hunted by a huge monster, larger than a blue whale that not only has intelligence but a creepy way of luring people onto its menu; it can extend one of its lethal tentacles and morph it into an appearance of any of its previous victims at quite some distance from its body. This tricks people into approaching the 'person' and then they are pounced upon.

I enjoyed this book, as I said, a lot more than I thought I did, and I would certainly recommend it if you want a good action-packed read. Will I be getting and reading the sequel Dark Rising (Alex Hunter 2) Yes, actually I will!

A note on the Kindle version; flawless! No proplems whatsoever.

5.0 out of 5 stars good story, 6 Feb. 2013
I liked this story a rip roaring yarn.I would buy more from this writer I liked this kind of adventure a bit far fetched but saying that it do,s not effect the story.sorry if this is not very clear but bottom line I liked it end of story lol see you

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book from Greig Beck!!, 5 Oct. 2011
I loved this book - it was an incredibly exciting story with very realistic characters and science that kept the story super interesting. Don't fear - buy this book - you won't regret it. If you love fast paced science fiction with a story based in present day...you won't be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sit back and enjoy the ride!, 3 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter) (Paperback)
This book combines techothriller, supersoldiers, cool weapons, archeology and some myths and legends. Throw in some horrifying creatures below the ice, and this is a story perfect for the boring bus-ride home..... and may even make you miss your next stop! I Loved it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Many holes but fun none the less, 3 Sept. 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter) (Paperback)
If you love books where mankind faces the kind of things that haven't been seen since the dinosaur era then this could well be the title for you as a plane crashes into Antarctica and into a subterranean cavern, the like of which has not been seen by human eyes before. It has some decent twists, feels partly like a Jules Verne type tale with a mix of The Thing (John Carpenters 1984 film) and a hint towards the first Alien vs. Predator.

All in, it is clever although a tad predictable and when you throw into the mix a super solider and a team of scientists you know that it's going to get bloody fast with high octane action as well as combat. Add to this a story that is fun (provided you're not going to sit there and poke holes into the tales inconsistencies) and it's one that is a nice piece of thriller escapism. I'll definitely read the next book by this author although I'm expecting the line "I'll be Beck" to appear at some point. LOL

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 18 Jan. 2015
A little bit cheesy at parts but good action and decent story. Will be checking out the next book in the series to see how it evolves. Worth a read if your a fan of scifi action mystery genre

4.0 out of 5 stars beneath the dark ice, 7 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter) (Paperback)
Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter)

If you love sci-fi action thrillers and superhuman heroes then this is just the book for you. Inspired by Antarctica's hidden world of buried lakes Grieg Beck weaves science fact with science fiction in this fast-paced yarn. After the opening paragraph I couldn't put it down... it's only a matter of time before the film rights get snapped up!

Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter)
Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter) by Greig Beck (Paperback - 19 Aug. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01