5.0 out of 5 stars Far-fetched fun.
In a similar vein to Matthew Reilly's Ice Station and James Rollin's Ice Hunt, Beneath The Dark Ice is a rip-roaring adventure guaranteed to keep you turning those pages well into the night.

This is pure popcorn entertainment, so leave your brain at home and enjoy the ride.

Our hero, Alex Hunter, is a super-human (I told you to leave your brain at...
Published on 13 Nov 2011 by Ben Peyton

2.0 out of 5 stars Captain America vs Aliens
Published 9 months ago by Mark Mcclelland

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Far-fetched fun., 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter) (Paperback)

Our hero, Alex Hunter, is a super-human (I told you to leave your brain at home) soldier tasked with accompanying a group of scientists and other skilled people into an ice cavern to investigate the disappearance of a previous group of people. Whilst there they meet various creepy-crawlies as well as being pursued by an old foe of Alex's.

The baddies are suitably nasty, the action is frenetic and plentiful and the tension gripping.

Greig Beck is a welcome addition to the action / adventure genre and I can't wait for his next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 8 May 2011
This is military techno horror that is totally preposterous but thoroughly entertaining. Plenty of action and gruesome bits that make you keep on reading as you have to find out what is going to happen next. Good stuff.

2.0 out of 5 stars Captain America vs Aliens, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter) (Paperback)
This book is very much a mash up of ideas from movies and other books; Aliens, The Thing, Journey to the Centre of the Earth among the films with the Atlantean elements reminisent of books by McDermott, Gibbins, Brokow, Pavlou and Greanias, to name a few. The Characters are the standard set of indestructible super soldier(and in this case he pretty much is!), fiesty but flirty love interest, arrogant fellow scientist and "red shirts" who are there to make up the numbers, that you just know will not make it to the end. Never really captures the arctic landscape in the way Rollins or Reilly have in the past. Not sure how many words the book ran too, but each page had very wide margins and a generous font size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Escapism at its best, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter) (Paperback)
Not to many books hit the ground running, hold your attention and make you realise that when dawn starts appearing through the curtains then you have been reading for a bit longer than normal!
Beneath the Dark Ice is one of those books that fulfill the above criteria. Loved the premiss, missing Arctic mission, super soldier, something nasty in the depths, Oh and a lost civilisation! Becks writing is fast paced, detailed and thrilling.
Its great to find new authors and I'm looking forward to reading more of Grieg Becks works and I am sure you will to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Help there a monster after me, 9 Mar 2014
I have enjoyed this book it's not the first time I have read Greig Beck and have always found them to most entertaining.

4.0 out of 5 stars Arcadian ace, 15 Feb 2014
Mw "jenwin" (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
Smooth and slick, a good and entertaining action,adventure.enjoyed tough guys against prehistoric monsters and Russian bad guys.certainly one of the better books about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Aug 2013
This is a classic adventure/action thriller with great characters and super fast plotting. The author writes in a similar style to Matthew Reilly(whose books I love) so it was perfect for me. Plenty of cliffhangers and a good nemesis to threaten the protagonist, who is an all round intriguing and he could have a good run of stories ahead of him. I will definitely read more of this author!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Enjoyed This Vary Much, 7 Aug 2013
Traffic (Kiruna, Sweden) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
KK, just finished this book on my Kindle Fire HD and I enjoyed more than I thought I would. After having reading the prologue and then into the story proper I did start having doubts vary early on when I read that our hero was in fact a superhuman hero in that he had incredible lightening reactions (he managed to plucked cup out of the air that sound had dropped and whilst the contents of the cup were still falling through the air he used the same cup to scoop the contents right out of the air), he has superhuman strength and vastly enhanced senses; and this was all due to having been shot in the head where the bullet, lodging in his brain, caused his body to produce certain chemicals/hormones that gave him these superhuman powers. When I read that bit in the first few pages I thought "Oh no, here we go, one of these ridiculous heroes that can pick up a tank by the gun barrel, swing it round and throw it miles whilst surviving a point blank hit from its explosive armament!" However, it wasn't like that at all and didn't get too ridiculous. So what is the story about? A private jet has crashed into the Antarctic with such ferocity that it has opened up a cave complex beneath the ice. A scientific team go in to investigate but are not heard of. In comes our superhuman hero, Alex Hunter, leader of a team of the elite of the special forces (HAWCS) who leads a rescue/discovery mission. Soon they are hunted by a huge monster, larger than a blue whale that not only has intelligence but a creepy way of luring people onto its menu; it can extend one of its lethal tentacles and morph it into an appearance of any of its previous victims at quite some distance from its body. This tricks people into approaching the 'person' and then they are pounced upon.

I enjoyed this book, as I said, a lot more than I thought I did, and I would certainly recommend it if you want a good action-packed read. Will I be getting and reading the sequel Dark Rising (Alex Hunter 2) Yes, actually I will!

A note on the Kindle version; flawless! No proplems whatsoever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter) (Paperback)
Haven't read it all the way through, but as far as I have made it, it is really exciting. It is not just a mission to a cave - there is other things to take into aspect at the same time. Where other books stick to one direction with no things at the side line, this book gives you more than just the main story. This is a must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars good story, 6 Feb 2013
I liked this story a rip roaring yarn.I would buy more from this writer I liked this kind of adventure a bit far fetched but saying that it do,s not effect the story.sorry if this is not very clear but bottom line I liked it end of story lol see you

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb156424c)

Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter)
Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter) by Greig Beck (Paperback - 19 Aug 2011)
6.99