5.0 out of 5 stars Love, Love, LOVE
Dreamless is the second book in the Starcrossed trilogy, a Greek mythology-inspired series about Helen Hamilton, a young Goddess. If you haven’t read the first book, you might want to look away now as there are some spoilers of the Dreamless predecessor coming up.

Published 15 months ago by Ashleigh Allsopp

3.0 out of 5 stars Firstb book was better
I loved the first book but this one honeslty fell below expectation. I honestly think nothing important happened in this book apart from Helen's inability to dream. Don't get me wrong i dont hate the book I just think it could have been better.
Published on 15 April 2013 by Nafisa Mahmud

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, Love, LOVE, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Dreamless: 2 (Awakening) (Paperback)

So, when I first read that summary I was a little dubious. I mean, it’s a love triangle (something I both love and hate) and it all sounds rather dramatic. But in reality, Josephine Angelini has managed to be completely convincing, so I believed every emotion that Helen was feeling. She doesn’t all of a sudden stop loving Lucas, which is something I was quite concerned about. In fact, she doesn’t stop being in love with Lucas at all. (Phew!).

I actually think Orion is a really great character that brings a whole new dimension to the series. He’s a connection to Helen’s mother, he has intriguing new powers and he develops an interesting relationship with the Delos family.

I think what makes the Starcrossed series so great is the relationships, and the characters that are involved in them. I’m not just talking about the relationship between Orion and the Delos family, but between all of the characters in the trilogy, including Helen and her dad Jerry, and Helen and her mum Daphne. Both of those relationships, while completely contrasting, are believable and relatable, and show us different sides to Helen’s character.

Extremely well written and captivating, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Starcrossed (and Dreamless) to another YA fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full bodied, richly woven fantasy that flows along and is a joy to read., 13 Mar. 2014
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely, dreamlike sequel with beautifully descriptive locations and nicely worked fantasy characters. Josephine Angelina writes in a style that flows. She carries the reader along and Dreamless was a pleasure to read.

The opening themes of unrequited love, Helen and Lucas, spur Helen along in her quest to rid the Underworld of the Furies. She's such a believable character and a great mix of romantic lead and young, warrior queen. There's always a sense that whatever trial Helen is forced to undertake she'll come through fighting for what she believes is lost and for what she believes is right but; don't feel too comfortable at this point. Just when you feel Helen might be reaching the end, there's a huge amount of uncertainty, the author twists the plot and introduces the beautiful and seductive Orion.

Orion meets up with Helen when she's at her most vulnerable and maybe, just maybe, this mystical Knight with his gift for 'controlling desire' has the power to make her forget true love?. I'm not telling you anything else about the plot - read the book!.

Rich, full bodied fantasy packed with drama, romance and energy. Enough depth to hook in any fan of the genre and recommended for this age group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gut wrenchingly heartbreaking, 14 Jun. 2012
Ms. C. A. Anderson "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Already a fan from the first book, I seriously couldn't wait for this book and Angelini did not disappoint.

We are brought straight back to the both shocking and saddening cliffhanger from the last book that Lucus and Helen are actually cousins. While we know, from Helen's mother Daphne's conversations previously that this is not true, Helen, Lucus and the rest of the Delos clan and everyone else do not and what we witness is heartbreaking in it's entirety as they try to stay away from each other when they clearly still love each other. Star crossed lovers they are - Romeo and Juliet all over again.

While this is constantly in both Helen and our minds every time they are in the same room, or near each other, an important task is now in play. Helen is the Scions only chance of freeing those such as Hector who have been Outcast. The only way thought to do so is to kill off the furies which enrage members of the same house and other opposing houses to attack their own flesh and blood such as Hector, to pay a blood debt. Helen is the Descender and is tasked with descending into the Underworld to find a way to set the Outcast's free, but while she has been chosen to do so, she has been dealing with Hell, quite literally and it is taking it's toll on her.

While she constantly wanders the Underworld every night for weeks trying to figure out how to complete her task of saving the Outcasts, she is suffering from exhaustion due to the lack of sleep since every time she goes to sleep she descends. What doesn't help is that while both Lucas and Helen accept that they can't be together, Lucus has taken to cutting her off completely from him in a cruel and hurtful way that see's even the reader surprised. While we learn, he is acting cruel in an effort for her to not feel anything for him anymore and help her concentrate on her task, it does the opposite effect. Instead we feel how alone she has become. Even though she still trains with the Delos family they have been keeping their distance too in an attempt to help her focus but instead pushing her away. Sympathy is an understatement for what we feel for Helen at this point.

One night when Helen descends and meets someone down there; Orion, she can't help but feel attracted to him, especially since he is the son of Aphrodite and has the power to control desire and hearts as well as being the heir to the House of Rome and also an Outcast. What develops is a friendship which while in the Underworld gives Helen a strength and purpose to her life that she had lost, also conflicts her emotions and clouds her heart.

While the task is still Helen's, she now has a friend and someone to help with her task and it's clear that Orion and Helen grow close, but it is also clear that despite everything Lucus and Helen still care for each other. All three are caught in a triangle which leads to a head in an epic battle which see's all three fight for what they believe in but at the same time, opening up a whole new can of worms that can never be closed again. As Cassandra always says the Scions follow history and there are many ways that history does indeed replay before our eyes.

War is on the horizon...

Cassandra220689

4.0 out of 5 stars slow burn, 30 Mar. 2015
Having enjoyed the first in this series so much, I had high hopes for Dreamless, and I wasn't disappointed... mostly. The reason this book is only a 4* compared to the 5* I gave Starcrossed is simply that it took longer for the story to really get going.

The continuation of the story started off much slower than the first book, yes Helen is following her path into the Underworld, but other than that, she, the Delos', and her friends are seemingly plodding along. It's not until the introduction of Orion that things start heating up.

Helen grows as a character, much more than in book one - I guess that's what happens when you are the only person in the world who can stop the Furies. It really takes a toll on her, and I don't blame her for being selfish in parts when she feels Claire is abandoning her to spend time with Jason. having said that, on the whole, Helen is more worried about everyone else over herself. When she finally comes into her own in the last third of the book, she does it with grace and her fearlessness made me forget that she is still a kid.

Lucas on the other hand, in my opinion at least, regresses as a character slightly. In way I understand why he acts the way he does after Daphne's revelations at the end of Starcrossed, but he takes it far too far for my liking. Having said that, when he finally comes to terms with himself, his character becomes a major player, and again, does so with class and finesse.

Once again, the back up characters are brilliant and support the main characters very well. Angelini writes strong, yet flawed, characters extremely well, and any reader can imagine this motley crew of friends hanging out in their own school, or even being part of their group themselves. Each character has their own story arc that they have to deal with, and come to terms with, and they all tie in with one another seamlessly - not all are resolved, beware being left with just as many questions at the end of book two as at the end of book one!

I have to admit, the love triangle aspect of the story is another reason this book lost a star. I understand why Helen feels things for someone else other than Lucas, it just irritated me how swiftly it happened - even though in reality, it didn't. (Believe me, that will make sense when you read the chapters set in the Underworld, I think.

***Possible Spoiler***

The introduction of the Gods was another area of the book I loved. Angelini has taken extremely well know figures from mythology and woven them into her story in a new way, but still remaining as true to them as possible. I loved that. Her descriptions of the Underworld and Hades were so detailed, I could picture them clearly, almost as if I were watching either a movie or TV adaptation. This, I believe is Angelini's strength. Her descriptions of both people and places were excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of character development, 2 Oct. 2013
Doha (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had actually forgotten the events at the end of starcrossed, but there were reminders in the beginning of dreamless that eased you into its world, and I'm pleased with that.

[The following review contains spoilers]

One of the things I really loved was Angelini's description of the various places Helen had to go; the careful weave and contrast of description for the different scenes really made the world come alive. In particular, the dreamland where she met sensuous Morpheus and the silk sheets in deep shades of purple - 'not quite black', felt so unconnected from reality that it really seemed like dreamland. Its contrast to hell was very startling in its difference. The dry lands, for example, where the three furies (who were in fact, just three little girls) lived was horribly inhabitable, and therefore, when Helen and Orion gave the furies water from the rivers, it felt as right and justifiable to me as it must have to Helen, even though her actions would contribute to Atlantis rising.

As for character development, my favourite was Zach's. He experiences so much jealousy towards the scions and their supernatural abilities that he could never compete with, but at the same time, he still gathered information and eventually helped Helen, but died for his efforts, sadly. I particularly enjoyed Hector's appearances, he brought bursts of happiness to his friends, even though he was suffering from the estrangement from his family because he had become an outcast. I also loved the way he was obviously growing into the commander he would become, and Helen's visions of him with Jason in medieval war-gear of leather and metal intrigue me and I look forward to the battle that is to come.

Lastly, aside from the quest to free the furies, the other battle was between Helen and her feelings toward Lucas, which they both fight as it was wrong (though we know that they are not really cousins). The darkness in Lucas which emerged was enthralling - 'His face was so pale it reflected the moonlight, and his eyes were a dark blue that bordered on black. It was like looking at the midnight twin of her sunshine Lucas.' It also raises the question: could the other scions have powers that they only come to realise in certain situations, that otherwise would not be revealed ? If that is the case, then the oncoming war will be even more interesting. I liked Helen's point of view regarding her feelings for both Lucas and Orion - 'If other men were house, Lucas was her home.' The themes of a home and being together was also present in Hades strange relationship with Persephone; that neither could truly be with the other, as they became weak in each other's worlds. I would like them as well as Morpheus to appear in the last book simply because I find them so interesting, and I look forward to reading it.

(reviewed by a family member)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreamless **SPOILERS**, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Dreamless: 2 (Awakening) (Paperback)
Dreamless is the second book in the Starcrossed trilogy and I must say it was a good one!

I've got to admit, I wasn't expecting to like this one as much, usually the middle book in a trilogy is a bit dull! Dreamless, in my opinion, is MUCH better than Starcrossed. It is mostly based in the underworld which i know a lot of people found boring however I found it really interesting especially once Orion was included into the equation (more on him later!) As I feared there was a lot of "Oh my I want Lucas but I cant because he's my cousin, but i want to kiss him he's sooo hot" which would be natural I guess, but I did find it annoying hearing her whine every time she was within a mile radius of him!

I liked all the gods coming into play in this book I found it really interesting and Angelini's description of some of them was so vivid (Ares in particular :| ) I was particularly happy that Hector stayed quite a prominent character in this book too! I thought he would fade into the background until the third book. Thank god he was there. I thought Zach was a bit odd from the beginning of the first book but at least he redeemed himself in the end. Orion...Well what can I say? He was definitely my kind of man! He helped Helen when she needed someone the most and was definitely a bit of mind candy for me! I hope and pray that he doesn't get killed off in the next book! He was far more interesting than Lucas! Talking of Lucas, ummm yeah I'm still not fond of him. I think being cruel to Helen was definitely the wrong way to be going about it and although he kind of knew this he still did it anyway. Not cool! Him becoming a shadowmaster was a good development, certainly looking forward to how that plays out in book number 3! The love triangle between Helen, Orion and Lucas was at times a bit annoying, but I am looking forward to finding out who Helen chooses. Josephine, please do NOT kill one of them off to end the love triangle! There is nothing more annoying than the easy route being taken. Make Helen choose!!

Anyway! I really did enjoy this book, soooo much more than the first one! I hope Angelini makes the third book just as good as this one! But with the promise of more gods meddling around on earth in the last book, I can only see this series going up and up! I cant wait to start the third book, which I didn't think I'd be saying at the end of Starcrossed!

Would I recommend it: If you liked the first book then yes, definitely!

Rating: 4/5 - Loved the settings in the underworld and the vivid descriptions of new and old characters alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeously haunting tale of true love and broken hearts..., 16 May 2013
This review is from: Dreamless: 2 (Awakening) (Paperback)
This beautiful story, which began in `Starcrossed' and now, continues in `Dreamless' is the kind of book which gets under your skin. Totally transfixing and exquisitely evocative, I was utterly spellbound by the supernatural ambience and tale of two lovers. Josephine Angelini captures quintessentially forbidden, heartrending love and the constant ache as the hero and heroine of this tale fight to be together forever.

As an avid reader of the Young Adult genre, I was extremely excited when presented with the opportunity to read the sequel to bestselling book and it certainly did not disappoint! Mesmerizingly magical and simply stunning, I was stunned as to the addictiveness of this saga and how easily I was sucked-into this book. Fans of Lauren Kate's fallen series, Alyson NoŽl's Evermore and Jana Oliver's Forsaken: The Demon Trappers will absolutely love this thrilling tale which I cannot enthuse enough about.

Their love could last forever...If it doesn't destroy them first

The series that captured readers' hearts globally continues. HEARTBROKEN and forbidden from being with Lucas, Helen has been tasked with breaking the curse that keeps them apart by killing the Furies. She spends her nights wandering the Underworld in search of them and, tormented by her worst nightmares made real, she's beginning to suffer from extreme exhaustion on top of her heartbreak. ONE night, Helen meets another person down in the shadowy Underworld: Orion, descended from Adonis and with the power to control desire. Still in love with Lucas but drawn to this seductive stranger, Helen must make a choice that could save her life but break her heart...

Darkly delicious, delicately interwoven tale takes one on an acutely dreamlike journey of the heart. The blending of supernatural fantasy and spinechilling suspense makes this emotive tale of eternal love so profoundly affecting and magical. I was mesmerized by the love triangle between Lucas, Orion and Helen (which reminded me so much of Stephanie Meyer's Twilight; with Edward, Jacob and Bella). Sensual and sexy this seductive supernatural story is an astonishing paranormal phenomenon that concludes in "Goddess" (released May 23rd 2013!!). The breathtaking complexity, scope and substantial plot makes me want to delve into the final installment.

I was so impressed by this exceptional tale that I predict it being summer 2013 bestseller and a winner in the Young Adult genre!!

*I won an ARC (Advance Reading Copy) of "Dreamless by Josephine Angelini" through a Goodreads, First-Read giveaway*

mykindabook.com ~ for great books, author chats and fab prizes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 16 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Helen realizes that it's up to her to stop the furies and break the cycle that torments her family and friends. She is the only one who can travel to the underworld and make things right, but there are consequences for going down there, such as extreme fatigue and sometimes insanity. Helen is starting to fade away while trying to make things right in the underworld, but thankfully, another Scion, Orion, has been given the task to help her and thankfully, has permission to go to the underworld as well. As Helen and Orion start to work together and eventually become friendly, Helen realizes that she may have more than just friendship in mind with Orion. But what about Lucas? She can't forget the startling realization that she learned in Starcrossed; however, why can't she get him out of her mind? Dreamless by Josephine Angelini is a fantastic sequel that fans of Starcrossed will love.

Angelini's take on mythology and how she takes famous mythological characters and puts a twist on their story is brilliant. For a mythology fan, it really makes for an entertaining ride. Helen grows so much in Dreamless and starts to explore life without Lucas and it was nice to see her branch out a bit and explore a possible relationship with Orion. Fans of Lucas, be forewarned: there isn't as much of him in Dreamless, but Orion is a nice addition to the plot. I have recently been getting sick of overdone love triangles, but Angelini does a good job of keeping this one balanced perfectly.

There are many twists and turns in Dreamless and the action was intense, which was a nice touch because this book is close to 500 pages! I applaud Angelini, because I was never bored which is definitely a sign of a good read!

As I said previously, Angelini's take on mythology is also explored a bit more in Dreamless. Readers will get more of the same mythological characters from Starcrossed, but there's also new ones such as, Achilles, Ares, Persephone, Hades, and more. A great sequel that will have you desperate to read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A FANTASTIC BOOK AND A MUST READ!, 27 Aug. 2012
Lynn Worton "Reading is a passion and an obse... (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Review 7*******

This is the sequel to Starcrossed. I had been eagerly awaiting the book, and it certainly doesn't disappoint! I LOVED IT!

Helen is the Descender, the only living person able to access the Underworld. She is a fantastic character, and I love her loyalty to her friends. Having paid her blood debt to the House of Thebes, she and the rest of the Delos family are trying to come up with a way to get to the Furies, to stop the blood feud.

Lucas is also a fantastic character. I feel for him as he struggles to stay away from Helen. The fates seem to have other ideas though.

In this story, we are also introduced to some new characters, as well as some old ones. Zach is more involved than before, but not in a good way. Then there is Orion. He is sent to help Helen in the Underworld. He is also a fantastic character, and he adds a new dimension to the story. He is the Head of House of Rome and Heir to another house. I know that he has the power to affect desire in people's hearts, but he is (to me) the perfect example of a hero; having power, but being reluctant to use it.

Josephine Angelini has written another masterpiece! This story is so fast paced that I felt breathless in places! The descriptions of Hades, Persephone, Ares and the Furies are so lifelike, that I could imagine them quite clearly. So too was the Underworld; it made me thirsty just reading about it! I hope that I don't have that journey to look forward to when it's my time! I am now looking forward to reading the next book, as this one ended on a cliffhanger! I highly recommend this book and series to those of you who are looking for a fantastic YA action/adventure/romance filled with Greek mythology and Gods. - Lynn Worton (WaAR)

4.0 out of 5 stars Middle book Syndrome?, 18 Aug. 2012
Amazon Customer (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dreamless: 2 (Awakening) (Paperback)
I hugely recommend reading the first book again because there is very little recapping and many of the characters have quite unique backstories that would take some time to recall in the midst of all the action in this book. Similarly, there are a number of relationships between some of the key characters which it would help to remember fully.

Angelini left us hanging with the shocking twist at the end of the first book where we find that Helen and Lucas are related and can never be together (or so they think but we know differently). We're also left with a bit of confusion over Daphne (Helen's mother) - why won't she tell them the truth? Who is Helen's father? What is Daphne up to? And thankfully, this second installment kicks off straight where the previous book finished.

Helen must now venture down into the Underworld where the Furies reside to save the furies from their endless sadness and suffering such that they remove the curse on the Scions and allow separate houses to be near each other without wanting to kill each other. I've always liked Helen and Lucas as characters, so I was a little disappointed to find that Lucas plays a much smaller (or more hidden) role in this book. It is understandable why, given that he feels he must stay away from Helen, who he now believes to be his cousin. On the other hand, when we do get to see a bit of Lucas I felt like I really began to understand him much better; his demi-god gifts are also explored in a lot more depth which I found interesting and really enjoyed.

Something which I didn't expect from this book was a love triangle. I won't say anymore than that but I was absolutely hooked by it. Sometimes I think love triangles can cheapen the relationships we imagined between characters but in this case, it really solidified my views on a number of characters and kept me wanting more because I wanted to see how it would all turn out. Additionally, there are a number of new characters introduced all of which I quite liked and it was fantastic to get to explore a little deeper into the realms of Greek mythology and read about some of their abilities and personalities.

I love all aspects of Greek Mythology that Angelini weaves into these novels. I don't have a massive understanding but I am aware of some of the major stories, Gods and demi-gods which crop out routinely. Having said that, I do think it would have helped me to have a better understanding although it isn't necessary because everything is explained very well to the reader. Aside from this, one of the major themes throughout this book has got to be the story of star-crossed lovers. Helen and Lucas are shown to be constantly battling with their emotions, their desire to be together but also to stay away and how they manage this. I absolutely loved it.

The thing I like about these novels is the focus Angelini puts on the repetition of history. In the previous book she mentions that Helen (namesake of Helen of Troy) and Lucas (who would have been called Paris if his parents were more traditional) are following the same path as the Gods before them. Essentially, history is repeating itself. That is such an innovative idea; the cycle of events also gives us the chance to predict what may happen to our characters in the future.

If I'm completely honest, I don't think this book was as good as Starcrossed. The second book in a series has the potential to suffer from what "middle-book-syndrome" where it basically becomes dull because it's setting the scene for the finale. Although I think Angelini has done a brilliant job and I love her ideas, I did feel that she lost her way a little towards the end of the book. I had so many questions from the previous book and I really don't think I've found answers to many of them. I really wanted to understand what Daphne was playing at but very little information is given to us and I still don't really know. There was so much happening at the end of this book, with tons of characters overlapping and stories overlapping that, although quite nicely woven together, was quite confusing at times. Additionally, there were a number of missing words. I'd usually forgive this, particularly with books this good, but there were so many that I actually found it a bit distracting.

Despite this, I really do think this series is fantastic. Lovers of YA fiction, romance and a touch of greek mythology will love it - and with another juicy cliffhanger I just can't wait for the next one!

Dreamless: 2 (Awakening)
Dreamless: 2 (Awakening) by Josephine Angelini (Paperback - 5 July 2012)