4.0 out of 5 stars An Epic Starcrossed Romance - Great summer reading!
Set to be one of this summers blockbuster reads, Josephine Angelini's Starcrossed is an addictive blend of majestic storytelling, inventive plot twists and a forbidden, dangerous romance that will leave readers breathless and wanting more.

Published on 3 Jun 2011 by DaisyChainBookReviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Wha -? How -? How did this book get published?
Published 19 months ago by Boleyn

4.0 out of 5 stars An Epic Starcrossed Romance - Great summer reading!, 3 Jun 2011
This review is from: Starcrossed (Awakening) (Paperback)

I'm always a little wary of books that are much buzzed about and hyped. What can I say, I've been burned before. But then there are those that truly live up to the high expectations placed upon them, and I'm glad to report that Starcrossed is one of those books. Fans of Greek Myths and Legends, as well as just about anyone who appreciates great storytelling will love this one. The writing style is intricate, evocative and engaging while the pace, while slow at first, builds to an exciting crescendo and includes an unexpected plot twist that has left me with a lot of questions and wanting the next book already!

Starcrossed tells the tale of Helen Hamilton, a girl who is different in more ways than one. For a start, she is stronger, faster, taller and more stunningly beautiful than your average teenage girl, and while Helen tries to keep her head down so as not to draw attention to herself, its difficult on the Island of Nantucket where she lives, and where everybody knows her name. Still, her life is pretty uneventful until, that is, the mysterious Delos family arrives in Nantucket. With their arrival, everything in Helen's blissfully normal life is turned upside down. First the nightmares start, and then she is haunted by terrible visions. Then there's Lucas Delos, there mere sight of who fills the normally mild mannered Helen with a ferocious rage!

Whoa! Not what you were expecting right? Honestly, when I saw the title of this book, and when I read the description of Lucas (totally hot, by the way) I was expecting a serious case of the dreaded insta-love to infiltrate Starcrossed, but it's not so, I'm glad to report! You could cut the tension between this two with a knife, and it's not tension of the good kind! There's a lot more to Lucas and Helen's connection that unfolds as the story goes on, and while I'm not going to spoil anything here, I will say that the development of their relationship was one of my favourite parts of this enjoyable story. However, while I warmed to Lucas immediately, Helen took a while to grow on me. Helen is timid and cautious and suffers from a number of unexplained ailments that she mentions quite a lot. I found her to be a little annoying at first, but as she learns more about her background and her heritage, I warmed to her, and I was totally rooting for her by the end of the book.

Along with Lucas and Helen this book is filled with a wealth of great characters. I love when authors develop secondary characters to such an extent that I feel as though I know them all well, and although this book has a large cast of characters, you can tell that Angelini has put a great deal of time into crafting her characters and each and every one of their personalities shines through. Honestly, I hate it when secondary characters just blend into the background and I don't get to know anything but their names, and I really appreciate it when authors go that extra mile in developing great casts of characters for readers to enjoy. I cant' wait to find out more about the complex characters of Hector and Cassandra in particular.

Epic in scope and with major crossover potential, Starcrossed is a wonderful tale of myths and legends, long held family feuds and secrets and a simmering romance that can only get hotter as the series progresses. I can't wait to read Dreamless the next book in this series when it releases next year. For Josephine Angelini and Starcrossed, I predict a big summer hit!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Starcrossed Trilogy" book 1, 4 Jun 2011
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Starcrossed (Awakening) (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Epic Greek tales are given a modern twist in this book, but still expect all the drama and tragedy found in the originals. Helen Hamilton has no idea who or what she is. She's tried to hide her inhuman strength and speed from everyone, but she's made enough goofs to be labelled a freak by the popular crowd at school. Now with news that the exotic Delos family have settled on her small island home, Helen is suddenly experiencing some nasty nightmares and is plagued by visions of three weeping and wailing women. Meeting the Delos clan at school, the normally shy and reserved Helen; driven on by the wailing women only she can see, is so consumed by rage and hatred that she tries to kill Lucas Delos.

I liked how the author integrated ancient cultures and supposedly mythological figures into a modern plot. Tragic events are re-played over and over as Helen and other Scions (the descendants of the Greek Gods) are cursed to hate each other. To complicate matters Helen and Lucas (his parents' were meant to name him Paris but bucked tradition) are falling in love, and should their Houses unite they will bring about another Trojan war; a battle that would devastate the world.

The secret world JS has created is fascinating. We meet the modern day versions of some of the better known Greek heroes and tragic figures; such as Jason, Hector, Cassandra and Pandora. Their mix of strengths and powers; which put the abilities of their ancient namesakes to shame, are exciting and certainly add drama to the plot. For fans of troubled teen romance, the star-crossed lovers element is an important part of the story, but it never detracts from the overall exciting pace of the book. "Starcrossed" really is an exceptional debut novel and I'll be keeping an eye out for its sequel "Dreamless" due for publication 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and beautiful all at the same time, 19 July 2011
Ms. C. A. Anderson "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Starcrossed (Awakening) (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book had me absolutely gripped from the first page.

Angelini manages to successfully create a modern day stage for a twist on old Greek Mythology and history, namely about Helena and Paris who, the gods not happy with the tragedy of Troy, want history to repeat itself. This time in the form of their modern day counterparts; Helen Hamilton and Lucas Delos.

Helen, as we come to understand and learn about first, is different, but only comes to terms with her difference to humanity with the arrival of the Delos family which Angelini has cleverly made similar to Twilights the Cullens and just as lovable and friendly. All are surprised by Helen and her actual existence, but while they contemplate what Helens presence means, and us the reader, their presence makes Helen angry to see them, for no reason that she or we can fathom. Not only that but she feels she wants to really hurt them, especially Lucas Delos. He too feels the same urge to kill and the first encounter of each other, they nearly do, but with this moment comes truth. Who Helen and the Delos family are to each other are revealed and after Lucas and Helen save each others lives, the anger and urge to kill is sated, and instead anger turns into the most beautiful love.

Lucas and Helen don't become star crossed over nothing though, the tale has a sour and sad twist. The attraction and love they feel for each other is forced to be over as quickly as it started. We are lift with the bitterness of gods, uncertainty and sadness. Clear though, that we as the reader have been privy to the truth which could set them free of a centuries old curse and a lie which is keeping them apart. In true dramatic fashion we are left to endure the sadness that this truth is not ready to be revealed yet and therefore urging us to want to read on to what will definitely be an exciting sequel.

Their love from a distance is sure to crack soon, it is clear Helen and Lucas share a powerful kind of love and it is just a matter of time...

I can not wait for the sequel, as soon as it is announced I will be pre ordering.

Cassandra220689

5.0 out of 5 stars I need the rest of this series! Now!, 3 Jun 2011
This review is from: Starcrossed (Awakening) (Paperback)
Alongside Die For Me by Amy Plum, this has got to be one of the most anticipated YA books of the year and quite frankly I can see why. This is most definitely a page turning, sleepless night kind of book that I personally struggled to put down. The best way to describe this book is as a mythical modern day Romeo and Juliet, where everything that can be done to keep the starcrossed lovers apart is tried and tested yet fails abysmally.

Helen comes across as a rather clumsy character to begin with, but you soon realise that it is because she isn't really like any other normal human being and has yet to discover her full potential. When the Delos family arrive in her hometown, something takes over Helen and on her first encounter with Lucas Delos, she tries to kill him. I kid you not! Every time their paths cross they are both desperate with murderous intentions. It is only when their hatred turns to desire that Helen discovers she is rather different from any other normal teenager. She is a Scion, just like Lucas and the rest of his family; she is a descendant from the Greek Gods and her family has been at war with the Delos family for centuries. Lucas helps Helen to learn how to use her extraordinary powers, whilst trying to ignore his strong feelings for her which would rip his family apart.

Josephine Angelini has created a real diamond of a book. Her story is mindblowingly original and I loved every word of it. I loved the use of Greek mythology within this book and I definitely feel that it could become one of my favourite genres.

As soon as the Delos family arrive in the book, I found myself being sucked into the story. The build up to their arrival had me intrigued and curious to meet them. I didn't like Helen to begin with, I don't know why I just found her annoying. However as soon as the sparks flew between her and Lucas, she seriously went up in my estimations. The heat of the romance between Lucas and Helen had me reaching for an electric fan to cool the room temperature down. Lucas, I loved from Helen's first attempt to kill him. He is everything you want in a lead male character; gorgeous, lustful yet gentlemanly as well as having a few cool super powers nicely thrown in. I loved the furious hostility between Helen and Lucas to begin with. Their utter hate for each other really brought the story alive and then the author goes and turns this hatred on its head, to create instant lusting. Helen and Lucas are surrounded by a cast of beautifully written characters, who I wanted to get to know individually. There are other romances blossoming amongst the Delos family and their new found Nantucket friends,which I can't wait to see blossom in the next book.

The plot line was fast and furious; the whole idea behind the book was breathtaking and when I came to the end I felt like I had just experienced my first bungee jump. Josephine Angelini writes like a professional boxer fights, and doesn't stop punching you with her plot twists and turns until the very end, where she pushes you off the cliff alongside her cliff hanger ending!

All I can say to Josephine Angelini is 'Welcome to the YA paranormal genre, may your journey through it be a long and prosperous one'.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wha -? How -? How did this book get published?, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: Starcrossed (Awakening) (Paperback)
There are just so many things about this book that I just ... I'm speechless, and not in a good way. It's AWFUL. The concept is good, but .... she just ... she just ruined it! Lucas is so boring, Helen isn't even annoying to me just because she means nothing to me, she accepts who she is right away, she loves Lucas even though he's not enticing at all ... the narrative, clichés .... goodness! I'm so stunned with how bad it is.

This is what made me put down the book and throw it away:

'The last cobwebs clearing from her eyes, she decided that if Lucas was gay then she was going to have to get a sex change operation. He would be so worth it.'

*Facepalm*

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Starcrossed (Awakening) (Paperback)
I have lately become a fan of teenage novels.... I LOVED this book!
Really loved the Twilight series, the hunger games and the mortal instruments, I tried a few books recently and I just couldn't get into them, just too weird! I bought this book based on the reviews here and I have to say I was not disappointed. I read this book within a day, the second book took a little longer but only because I needed to get back to my life.
I did find some aspects of the story were already found in other books, for me this book was a merging of Twilight with the mortal instruments...where Lucas really reminded me of Jace but then other aspects reminded me of Edward in Twilight.
Can't wait for the next installment!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Starcrossed book 1, 8 July 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Starcrossed (Awakening) (Paperback)
Helen has always known she was different, she is faster and stronger than her friends but suffers from crippling shyness that cause stomach cramps whenever she finds herself at the centre of attention. She has spent her whole life trying to blend into the background, instinctively she knows she has to keep her abilities a secret but she has never understood why she has them. When the Delos family arrive she finds herself filled with hatred every time they are in the same vicinity. In fact the first time she sees Lucas she actually tries to kill him! Before long Lucas and his family are able to give Helen the explanations she has always wanted, nothing is what she expected and the Fates have some nasty surprises up their sleeves.

I have to admit that I kind of put off reading Starcrossed for a long time, I loved stories based on Greek mythology but was nervous about picking it up because there was so much hype surrounding the book when it was released last year. The only reason that I'm not kicking myself for not reading it sooner is that I don't have to wait a year for the second book Dreamless! Josephine Angelini surpassed all my expectations, I thoroughly enjoyed Starcrossed and am eager to find out what happens with next.

One of the things I loved most was that there isn't a case of insta-love between Helen and Lucas, in fact they have been cursed to hate each other so they don't exactly start out as friends. I felt for Helen from the moment we met her, she was so painfully shy and just wanted to fade into the background and disappear. Throughout the story she becomes much more sure of herself and really starts to grow into her own person which was great to see. Of course Lucas is hot but there is much more to him than that, he is also caring and protective and he stands up for Helen even going against his family for her.

I also really enjoyed the way the author has woven Greek mythology throughout the story, she has done a fantastic job of explaining why Helen and Lucas have such strong reactions to each other and how their family histories have brought them to this point. I found it fascinating to see how each of the characters are connected to each other and trying to figure out which of the Greek gods they represented. The secondary characters are all well drawn and interesting in their own rights, I loved Helen's relationships with her father and her best friend Claire. Claire often added some light relief to the story and I loved her reaction when she found out about Helen's secret. Lucas comes from a large family and they all have different abilities, strengths and weaknesses. His mother is the glue that holds them all together and it was great to see how respected she was by the others even though she was the least powerful amongst them all.

I will be really interested to see where the story takes us next and Dreamless definitely won't be sitting on my to read pile for a year waiting for me to get to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe it took me so long to read this!, 24 May 2012
Laura "@ Scattered Figments" (NEATH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starcrossed (Awakening) (Paperback)
I've had this book on the TBR pile for nearly a year. I'm gutted that I didn't pick it up sooner as it was a great read. However, my delay has its advantages as I now have very little time to wait before the sequel, Dreamless, comes out at the end of May!

Helen, the main character, has always been cripplingly shy. So much so that whenever she is forced into the limelight, she suffers physical pain. And it's difficult not to be noticed when you're stronger, faster and more beautiful than any normal girl ever should be. And it's even more difficult to maintain the appearance of "normal" when she meets Lucas Delos and proceeds to try and strangle him to death in front of her entire school.

Given the title, you can probably guess where the conflict of this book stems from. However, Starcrossed offered much more than I had anticipated from the idea of starcrossed-lovers. The hatred and violence Helen feels toward Lucas made for gripping and unexpected reading. Of course, somewhat predictably, this hatred doesn't last, but new conflicts and enigmas kept the pace steady and the atmosphere tense even after things between Helen and Lucas started to heat up.

There were elements of the story which felt familiar. The Delos family has a false-finder (Lucas can tell instantly if someone is telling the truth) and a girl who can predict future events. These things were decidedly Twilight, (as was the single-father household from which Helen comes) but were written with more depth and art. The relationship between Lucas and Helen became evocative of the Jace/Clary relationship in City of Bones. So there were elements of the book which I felt I'd seen before, but they were imagined in new ways, ways which really had me hooked.

Overall, this was a brilliant read and I read it in a morning. I couldn't put it down! I have concerns about the sequel as it promises "an unforgettable love triangle". I don't know about you guys, but I'm kind of sick of love triangles. Especially when I have such high hopes for a couple! I know that love triangles can up the conflict, but it's been done. A lot.

Despite these reservations, Angelini's writing is excellent. She brought new life to things I'd seen before in Starcrossed, so if anyone can take the love triangle thing and make it less agonising, then it might just be her! I hope so! I'll let you know when I read Dreamless at the end of the month!

5.0 out of 5 stars A sin to miss!, 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: Starcrossed (Awakening) (Paperback)
You liked Twilight? You liked the Hunger Games? You'll fall in love with Starcrossed! Seriously, it's the most amazing book I've ever read. Who WOULDN'T want to read about a girl who wants to kill a boy who she actually thinks is hot? No joke. She can fly (Yes, you heard me) and let's not forget her super powers? She goes through some tough times and her past unfolds before her eyes.

To sum it up in one paragraph: Don't miss this book. Young adult, teenagers, adults, old people, whoever! Read this, now. Why don't you read this, now. Buy it, perhaps. This is not a questions, this is a DEMAND! Best book of 2011!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greek mythology and romance., 11 Sep 2011
N. J. H. (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Starcrossed (Awakening) (Paperback)
This book completely surprised me. I expected it to be a typical boy meets girl and they fall in love type of thing, but this is so unique. Helen Hamilton is painfully shy, until a new family moves to her town and enrols at the school - then all hell breaks lose. She instantly hates Lucas and wants nothing more than to kill him with her bare hands. But why? An ancient curse of the gods means that Lucas and Helen cannot help but want to kill each other. This is explained in so much detail within the book and is really interesting.

I loved the way greek mythology had been woven into the story and was fascinated by some of the history Angelini includes. Each character seemed to resemble a different God - this is also explained further. Essentially Helen and Lucas are the result of a God and human relationship. This gives them abilities specific to each character based on their heritage. For example, a son of Poseidon will have an affinity for water.

This books strongly reminds me of Percy Jackson, another series involving greek mythology, so if you liked that then you'll love this. Personally I am always intrigued by a story of forbidden love so if you're like me then definitely give this one a read.

ARRAY(0xaed8fb28)

Starcrossed (Awakening)
Starcrossed (Awakening) by Josephine Angelini (Paperback - 3 Jun 2011)
3.85