5.0 out of 5 stars What Urban Fantasy should be
London Falling begins as a big drug bust is about to take place. It's an operation that's been years in the planning and involves two undercover officers. The bust is happening now more because they're running out of money than because the timing's just right, nevertheless they manage to arrest a local gang boss and several of his "soldiers". Unfortunately this coup is...
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars THE SWEENEY take on hell
DI Quill arrests Rob Toshack (the head of a crime organisation with an uncanny ability to stay ahead of the police and absorb its competitors without turf wars) on the same night when Toshack's been behaving strangely - taking his crew on a house to house search for someone unknown. With the help of Sefton and Costain - two undercover officers who've infiltrated...
Published 24 months ago by I Read, Therefore I Blog

‹ Previous | 19 10 1115 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit lacking in characters, 5 May 2013
Robert (Uxbridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
London Falling is a police procedural where undercover officers are asked to investigate the bizarre and bloody death of a gang lord. There seems to be a bit of this police-meets-occult around at the moment and I am sorry that London Falling does not really cut it. The main reason seems to be the characters or lack of them. Two undercover cops who do not really feel like they have any depth. Scenes that seem to happen in the dark or dim hotel rooms. It all adds up to a moan-a-gram.

2.0 out of 5 stars All came crashing down for me i,m afraid., 25 Oct 2012
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It was as I laid in the bath with my copy of London's Falling that it dawned on me that I had just sped read the last ten pages of the novel and not taken in one word that finally, I realised that this book wasn't really working for me.
An uneasy mixture of detective thriller and urban fantasy I was originally quite gripped by the more mundane, earthy part of the narrative . It was as the fantastical elements about piles of soil with symbols in them and a curse on anyone scoring a hat-trick against West Ham bled into the plot that I stated to lose interest.
I have nothing against this type of fiction, indeed normally I would embrace it wholeheartedly , but London's Falling for me just did not gel. Once the fantasy /magical fundamentals appeared on the pages it all just seemed a touch silly . Fantastical I can live with, silly I can't.
I read on for a while hoping it would get better but , alas , it didn't .So I gave up on this tale of detectives fighting things beyond their understanding . I had a choice of whether to fight manfully on and they did not. They had only one thing to deal with while I have plenty of other books I can read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound of the Occults, 18 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Some science fiction novels read like adapted scripts for a TV pilot. This is certainly the case with `London Falling', a cop novel that mixes `Life on Mars' with `Hell Raiser', brought to you by one of the notable `Dr Who' author Paul Cornell. Was adapting the novel into a TV show in the back of Cornell's mind as he wrote it? It either was, or he is so steeped in the medium that he cannot help but write in this manner. `London Falling' surrounds four police officers who all accidently get `The Sight'; this allows them to see the darkness that lives beneath London. They must work together to fight a women who sacrifices children in the name of her beloved West Ham United.

There are some brilliant ideas in `London Falling', a well realised world that dictates that within the city limits of London there is an ancient magic that only a few know about. The issues with the book are all based around Cornell confusing the reader. As the first novel in what feels like a potential series it was full of character introduction and the main four protagonists getting to grips with their new found powers. Many novels like this would have a mentor type character to explain the situation to the characters and the reader, but not in `London Falling'. The characters are left floundering around for large parts of the book in a befuddled manner. In turn, this confused me as a reader, as I was not sure what was going on.

Cornell seemed to play fast and loose with the `reality' of the magic in his book. Too many times a character was sucked into some vortex only to pop out somewhere else. This essentially suggests to the reader that anything can happen - and in a world where there are no rules, why should I care? Any sense of jeopardy is lost by the fact that these four simple coppers would not stand a chance, so it is nonsense. With some rules actually in place by the end of `London Calling', there is hope for future tales in the universe. I would just like a little more cohesion in the future, as `London Calling' was a confusing mess in places.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, well written, 26 July 2014
Excellent book, well written, was looking for more like this whilst reading Un Lun Dun and others. Just started 2nd book now, still going strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyably different, 10 Sep 2013
A detailed knowledge of; London, the Police force and the arcane. Add a twist of the macabre, a sense of humour and a good storyteller - the result is a great story that I wouldn't be surprised to see as a film one-day.

I look forward to book 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like The Sweeney if magic was involved., 10 May 2013
Mr. L. Jeffery "Ghost Reader" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book was interesting to read as I wasn't quite sure what to make of it at first. Its clearly designed as a police/magic story, with a group of police officers being given "The Sight" by accident and using it to police a world that most of us don't even see. The story itself developed well, with the officers discovering how to use this "Sight" to catch a criminal, and also trying to understand a world that they didn't even know existed.
The story is well written, with a great twist. Despite the take on modern policing, you can feel the writer almost harking back to the old days of The Sweeney where coppers were more about getting results than following procedure. You can see also see the writers love of London, and while not geared only towards Londoners, I think people who live or work, or have lived or worked in London will get more of a kick out of some of the references (particularly West Ham Fans).
He also sets the plot up at the end for a sequel which I hope he has the chance to write as I see alot of potential for future development and an overriding story arc.
The only reason I didn't give this book a full 5 Stars is that it does get a bit bogged down in the middle with the characters learning about their abilities, While I know this is bound to happen with stories it just felt a bit of a struggle to make it through that part of the novel. Though I would say if you do buy this book, dont give up half way through as the last third of the novel does make it worth while as the action builds up and it concludes with an interesting lead in to another novel (Which I hope is forthcoming soon).
Overall I would recommend the book, as it works in the idea of magic and the modern police force with a nice hark back to the days of The Sweeney. Worth a look if you like magic, police novels with a twist, or just looking for something a bit different.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun supernatural police procedural, but nothing new to see. Just move along..., 30 Mar 2013
M. W. Hatfield "mwhatfield" (Gainsborough, Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Paul Cornell is a cracking writer: his comic scripts are witty,clever and sensitive. His TV writing is sharp and well focussed. Unfortunately, this book is not. The premise is sound, if unoriginal- a group of mismatched urban detectives are flung into conflict with the supernatural. A neat idea, which allows him to blend tough urban dialogue with inventive fantasy tropes. here though, it just doesn't quite work. The opening is turgid and confusing. Persevere, and it livens up considerably, especially once the supernatural elements come into play. And then it sort of ends, ready for a sequel.
It's not bad: Cornell's too good a writer for that,but it never really takes off and fulfills the promise of the blurb. Worth reading, but it won't revolutionise the genre. Shame...

3.0 out of 5 stars Written for t.v., 8 Mar 2013
...and actually it will probably be very good, too. I thought this book started extraordinarily well, both conforming to and subverting the structure and style of the detective genre with a little supernatural activity thrown in. The concepts of the phantasmagoria, specifically the rules and limits of the paranormal entities within are very well drawn up and conformed to. The shock of the characters at having consensual reality turned into a multi-dimensional nightmare is conveyed very well, and i was pretty gripped until about two thirds of the way through. This is the point where the horror aspect of the book kicked in and besides being unnecessarily distressing (come on Paul Cornell, there is enough horror and torture in the real world....) it was just plain unpleasant. The equation of witchcraft with pacts with demons - or, as is hinted - the Devil, is a touch outdated. Although the conceit of a demonic presence is not part of my own preferred fantasy cosmology, I was prepared to put this aside and suspend my disbelief until the point where the information about disappearances got too graphic. I wasn't at all surprised when I learned at the end of the book that Cornell wrote with Steven Moffat and that this was originally a script for a television programme. I do honestly believe that were it transformed back to a script it would make truly tremendous television - let's face it, it has a pretty good pedigree!

5.0 out of 5 stars utterly brilliant, 16 Dec 2012
G. R. De Vine "gav__devine" (glastonbury) - See all my reviews
I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book having seen the recomendation of Ben Aaronovitch. Many reviewers have discussed the plot so it seems pointless for me too so I'll just say I'll have a pre order waiting for the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Aug 2014
Loved the book. Strange at first but hooked by the end. Can't wait to start the next one.

‹ Previous | 19 10 1115 | Next ›

London Falling (James Quill 1)
London Falling (James Quill 1) by Paul Cornell (Paperback - 18 July 2013)