5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive book on migraine

Interesting but turgid.
Published 3 months ago by Dr Sherin Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive book on migraine, 3 July 2011
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Migraine (Paperback)
My partner suffers weekly from migraine headaches. I experience regular migraine auras without the ensuing headache. Sick of being a migraine victim I wanted to understand what was actually happening to both of. Why did it happen? Why was he so ill every weekend? Why could I see these bright, shining, metallic objects for 20 minutes at a time? This book was recommended and it didn't disappoint.

The book is an exploration of everything 'migraine'. It starts right from 'what is a migraine?' (first time anyone had explained that a migraine is not a headache, a headache is part of a migraine) right through to detailed brain biology of how an aura might be formed. Last updated in 1992, the book hasn't suffered for being nearly 20 years old and isn't afraid to say certain things just aren't known.

It's remarkably reassuring, but never patronising. The case studies are fascinating and free from judgement over the choices patients have made. The book is a little technical in places, but I didn't find that alienating. In fact I feel it's helped give me the proper vocabulary to use when trying to discuss our migraine experiences.

Thanks to this book I'm now a participant in my migraines, not a victim of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Technical, but Wonderful, 12 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Migraine (Paperback)
I have migraines, and I think this book is terrific. It does tend to be too technical, but has a Glossary that includes most unfamiliar terms. The artwork is great, and his whole treatment of the disorder is fascinating. I recommend it highly for all who experience migraines and for their families, although with the caveat that getting through it probably does require some combination of advanced education, patience with flipping to the glossary, keen interest, and openness to learning quite a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best migraine book, 13 Mar 2010
This review is from: Migraine (Paperback)
This is an in depth book about migraine that I have found extremely helpful and reassuring. It is good to know that one's symptoms are "normal" and suffered by many other people. Just a shame it isn't completely up to date on the drug information as written a while ago.Some parts need reading more than once becasue it is written in unfamiliar language - a dictionary nearby is helpful!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really in depth, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Migraine (Paperback)
Bit outdated now as a migraine book but i'm sure many migraine specialists have built upon the foundations of this book. Does address many issues surrounding migraine and is an interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BOOK for all suffering from Migraine, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Migraine (Kindle Edition)
I would recommend this book to everyone, who suffers from Migraine. It explains a lot, helps you deal with the headaches and understand them. Good language helps in easy, fast reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 11 July 2014
Interesting but turgid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of information, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Migraine (Kindle Edition)
It's okay, sometimes a little heavy going but provides some interesting insights into the background of migraine. If you're looking to relieve headaches, this isn't the book for you - try The Miracle Cure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Migraine (Paperback)
This man knows what he is talking about. Well researched and with references it goes into depth about the condition(s) and the myriad of possible causes. Discussion of therapies is balanced and informed and treats the lay reader with some degree of respect.
Tip: the print is very small, and the quality is not the best with (I think) a poor font choice.
Ironic that it will be read by migraine sufferers - kindle might be better

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful classic text, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Migraine (Paperback)
This is a wonderful classic text by a renowned writer and expert. This will help any migraine sufferer - or any healing practitioner or psychotherapist - to understand more about the many forms and expressions of migraine. It should be noted that migrainous conditions can be extremely severe and disabling, and manifest in a variety of ways that may not initially be obviously related to migraine. This is particularly the case with hemiplegic migraines, that can generate paralysis type symptoms.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for migraine sufferers, 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: Migraine (Kindle Edition)
I have suffered migraines all my life, but never really understood enough about them. Sometimes I have suffered when I need not have, had I understood I was having a migraine. This book clarifies the fact that there are different types of migraines, and it could be you like me have been suffering more than one type. I now know I should have taken my medication more often than I have. This book is a real eye opener and as usual Oliver Sacks shows real compassion and understanding to those who suffer. Buy this book and help yourself cope with your headaches, you can then go to your GP better armed.

Migraine
Migraine by Oliver Sacks (Paperback - 10 May 2012)