Format: Paperback|Change

My partner suffers weekly from migraine headaches. I experience regular migraine auras without the ensuing headache. Sick of being a migraine victim I wanted to understand what was actually happening to both of. Why did it happen? Why was he so ill every weekend? Why could I see these bright, shining, metallic objects for 20 minutes at a time? This book was recommended and it didn't disappoint.

The book is an exploration of everything 'migraine'. It starts right from 'what is a migraine?' (first time anyone had explained that a migraine is not a headache, a headache is part of a migraine) right through to detailed brain biology of how an aura might be formed. Last updated in 1992, the book hasn't suffered for being nearly 20 years old and isn't afraid to say certain things just aren't known.

It's remarkably reassuring, but never patronising. The case studies are fascinating and free from judgement over the choices patients have made. The book is a little technical in places, but I didn't find that alienating. In fact I feel it's helped give me the proper vocabulary to use when trying to discuss our migraine experiences.

Thanks to this book I'm now a participant in my migraines, not a victim of them.
on 12 April 2000
I have migraines, and I think this book is terrific. It does tend to be too technical, but has a Glossary that includes most unfamiliar terms. The artwork is great, and his whole treatment of the disorder is fascinating. I recommend it highly for all who experience migraines and for their families, although with the caveat that getting through it probably does require some combination of advanced education, patience with flipping to the glossary, keen interest, and openness to learning quite a lot.
on 23 February 2013
I have suffered migraines all my life, but never really understood enough about them. Sometimes I have suffered when I need not have, had I understood I was having a migraine. This book clarifies the fact that there are different types of migraines, and it could be you like me have been suffering more than one type. I now know I should have taken my medication more often than I have. This book is a real eye opener and as usual Oliver Sacks shows real compassion and understanding to those who suffer. Buy this book and help yourself cope with your headaches, you can then go to your GP better armed.
on 19 September 2015
Everyone who suffers from Migraine and their family and friends should read this. It's difficult at times and requires a dictionary! It gives a good understanding of what it's like to be a Migraineur. GPs and even Head Specialists should read it too. Migraines are not just headaches. Thank you Oliver Sacks. RIP.
on 28 December 2013
Bit outdated now as a migraine book but i'm sure many migraine specialists have built upon the foundations of this book. Does address many issues surrounding migraine and is an interesting read.
on 17 June 2013
I would recommend this book to everyone, who suffers from Migraine. It explains a lot, helps you deal with the headaches and understand them. Good language helps in easy, fast reading.
on 23 March 2013
This is a wonderful classic text by a renowned writer and expert. This will help any migraine sufferer - or any healing practitioner or psychotherapist - to understand more about the many forms and expressions of migraine. It should be noted that migrainous conditions can be extremely severe and disabling, and manifest in a variety of ways that may not initially be obviously related to migraine. This is particularly the case with hemiplegic migraines, that can generate paralysis type symptoms.
on 13 March 2010
This is an in depth book about migraine that I have found extremely helpful and reassuring. It is good to know that one's symptoms are "normal" and suffered by many other people. Just a shame it isn't completely up to date on the drug information as written a while ago.Some parts need reading more than once becasue it is written in unfamiliar language - a dictionary nearby is helpful!
on 10 May 2014
It's okay, sometimes a little heavy going but provides some interesting insights into the background of migraine. If you're looking to relieve headaches, this isn't the book for you - try The Miracle Cure.
on 21 August 2014
Fascinating, but quite heavy language (although I kind of think that was the point). Definitely, you should read it if migraine comes knocking. It will arm you with great insights.